Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How important is TVD on RCF

@antspants Anthony If this is the car you are referring to it was for sale at Stoke for 6 months or more and is is the Lexus way with them they move it to another dealership if they don't sell.

Anyway I know of this car it's a one private owner from new and obviously it's a Carbon model.

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/RC-F/Carbon-50-mqbl2w4

Big Rat

I'll keep an eye out for the Stoke car reappearing then. 

The carbon one is out of budget, and if I'm honest (no intent to offend owners) I find the carbon bonnet a bit ostentatious for me, plus it's the wrong colour :) 

28 minutes ago, antspants said:

II find the carbon bonnet a bit ostentatious for me

I understand that.

Just as a warning (from an x Boster S owner), the RC-F (carbon, or indeed the base model :wink3:) will generate lots more attention than the Boxster.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Flytvr said:

I understand that.

Just as a warning (from an x Boster S owner), the RC-F (carbon, or indeed the base model :wink3:) will generate lots more attention than the Boxster.

Is that good attention or bad attention??

7 hours ago, Flytvr said:

I don't mind that so much, it's a great looking car so a bit of attention is expected. 

As an ex Boxster S owner, how would you compare them? I've had my S for just over 3 years and 45k miles now, and would like something a bit more refined now (I'm clearly getting old!) and quicker. I've also had a V8 itch that needs scratching for a while and the RCF appeals the most. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonP said:

Is that good attention or bad attention??

Very good question.

In the IS-F it was a case of 'Look - somebody is looking at the car'. In the RC-F it's a case of 'Ooooo, that person isn't looking at the car'.

I think mainly good attention. Kids will video the car, people will slow down on the motorway and on the rare occasion that I park up in a busy place, people will engage in conversation about the car.

I suspect that a lot of the looks are along the lines of 'What is that!?' - in a positive way!

3 minutes ago, antspants said:

I don't mind that so much, it's a great looking car so a bit of attention is expected. 

As an ex Boxster S owner, how would you compare them? I've had my S for just over 3 years and 45k miles now, and would like something a bit more refined now (I'm clearly getting old!) and quicker. I've also had a V8 itch that needs scratching for a while and the RCF appeals the most. 

Boxster is a great car. Like my RC-F my Boxster was a second car, so it was a special occasion every time I drove it.

The engine in the Boxster was great - especially when it came on song and made that special noise (which I can't describe). 

F cars are totally different beasts to a Boxster. The V8 is central to the package. You'll get refinement and performance in one package. You'll also get utterly ridiculous reliability - no RMS or bore scoring issues. Stuff like that is unheard of.

In the RC-F the car will get the recognition that ALL F cars deserve.

Finally, you won't see many on the roads!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I should pop back in as I hate it when people don't finish off their threads. I've ended up buying a 2014 E63.

Whilst I love the looks of the RCF I felt it wasn't going to give me the performance hit I wanted to balance out the handling compromises I was making moving from my Boxster to a bigger heavier car. 

I test drove a C63, the more direct RCF rival, and wasn't that impressed, whereas the E63 whilst being a much bigger car feels like a big step up in quality and is phenomenally quick. 

Thanks for all the replies and wishing you all many happy motoring miles. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, antspants said:

I thought I should pop back in as I hate it when people don't finish off their threads. I've ended up buying a 2014 E63.

Whilst I love the looks of the RCF I felt it wasn't going to give me the performance hit I wanted to balance out the handling compromises I was making moving from my Boxster to a bigger heavier car. 

I test drove a C63, the more direct RCF rival, and wasn't that impressed, whereas the E63 whilst being a much bigger car feels like a big step up in quality and is phenomenally quick. 

Fair enough. Enjoy he Merc!! 👍

Interesting reading and confirms everything I have read. A fair few reviews say tvd makes it harder to get the car sideways due to the way it deploys the power to stop exactly that happening and as such preferred the lsd cars. Personally I would like it on a car when I look and if it’s standard on a carbon car great as would be looking for the carbon cars. 

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

Interesting reading and confirms everything I have read. A fair few reviews say tvd makes it harder to get the car sideways due to the way it deploys the power to stop exactly that happening and as such preferred the lsd cars. Personally I would like it on a car when I look and if it’s standard on a carbon car great as would be looking for the carbon cars. 

As a non talented driver, 460+ BHP, RWD and British roads, I’ll take all the help Lexus can give me 👍😀

I love the idea of being able to balance the car on the throttle, powering it sideways out of a corner or even executing the perfect u-turn using throttle ownly. Great if you have the ability and a safe environment, but for me just pipe dreams, as reality says an oversteer moment is more likely to soil my trousers!

Far too many RWD ‘hero’ types on YouTube. 

Love this one. Now, where’s my ECCO mode button.......

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

I tend to find these kind of postings are put up by People whose other cars are Volvos with names like........:whistling:

IMG_0749.JPG.3d91d3b618fb56d9cabe1539cfc8bcb7.JPG

Big Rat

All Volvo drivers have good looking blonde partners. See above

• Like 1

20 hours ago, antspants said:

Pics or it hasn't happened....  Actually forget that.  I know what they look like.  Decent sound clip of a cold start up or it hasn't happened :-)

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

That's a beast, certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at an E63.  Completely different league to my ISF!

I'd say it was in the same league.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 11:19 AM, Big Rat said:

@antspants Anthony If this is the car you are referring to it was for sale at Stoke for 6 months or more and is is the Lexus way with them they move it to another dealership if they don't sell.

Anyway I know of this car it's a one private owner from new and obviously it's a Carbon model.

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/RC-F/Carbon-50-mqbl2w4

Big Rat

Yes, this was on the forecourt as Stoke when I bought mine.  I'm certainly not anti-silver, but I'm really not sure silver suits the RC-F.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

Completely different league to my ISF!

vs.

1 hour ago, stevet said:

Well.. Quite clearly E63 is in the league of GS-F - not sure that is even worth arguing about... so for me no surprise it is in different league to IS-F.. IS-F only meant to go after M3.. and only in 2008, so comparing it with new E63 is kind of unfair.

On the other note - so have we decided LSD or TVD after all :wacko:

1 hour ago, stevet said:

Really?? I've would of thought that the E63 would be noticeably quicker.  As an M5 competitor the car is designed to compete in the next class up.  

Admittedly cost will reflect this

Marcus

14 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Really?? I've would of thought that the E63 would be noticeably quicker.  As an M5 competitor the car is designed to compete in the next class up.  

Admittedly cost will reflect this

Marcus

I agree - surely more powerful. Getting all that power down may be another issue. @antspants will be able to tell us all :thumbsup: