Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX-300 autobox

I’ve never owned an automatic before so i’m not sure what’s normal.  In the Lexus if I select D, wait a second for it to start crawling forward then accelerate, all is fine.  However if I accelerate before it’s engaged there’s a clonk as it engages, is that anything to worry about or should I just be careful not to accelerate until it’s engaged?

Thanks

Thanks, was worried something might be wrong but it engages in 1 second so i’m guessing that’s normal. Just need to be careful at lights if i’ve put it in neutral not to accelerate before it’s back in gear

I passed my test in 1975 in a manual car and I never wanted an auto - until I got my first one in 1987 and I've never had manual since (apart from hire or courtesy cars). The auto transmission is definitely one of mankind's better inventions!

I always kept to the way I was taught in a manual, ie, at traffic lights handbrake on and select Neutral. It's not strictly necessary in an auto but it's a hard habit to break - feels completely alien leaving it in gear now that I've got a hybrid (traction Battery doesn't charge in Neutral).

Until you're used to it, keep your left foot back towards the seat and you'll be less likely to attempt to 'press the clutch' and always put it in drive before accelerating. In fact, keep your foot on the brake, put it into 'D' and when you feel the very slight 'jerk' as it takes up drive, then move your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator.

• Like 3

Learnt in a manual, never thought of using an auto. Got one as a company car, wow! Great loved it never went back.

Then got the eCVT in  my RC and wow! So much better than the 'normal' automatic ...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, m4rkw said:

I’ve never owned an automatic before so i’m not sure what’s normal.  In the Lexus if I select D, wait a second for it to start crawling forward then accelerate, all is fine.  However if I accelerate before it’s engaged there’s a clonk as it engages, is that anything to worry about or should I just be careful not to accelerate until it’s engaged?

Thanks

Your foot should be on the brake when you select D, and by the time you have come off the brake onto the accelerator it should be in gear and moving. A 1 second delay sounds too long. I would make sure your transmission fluid is at the correct level, and possibly think about getting a transmission drain/refill to freshen up some of the fluid - using only the recommended Toyota fluid.

It’s already booked in for a drain/refill and new filter, i only noticed a jolt when i’d popped it into neutral at the lights and then tried to pop it back into D and pull away quickly, the revs went up before it had engaged and caused a jolt. I guess if I just leave it in D at lights i won’t run into that again

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

It’s already booked in for a drain/refill and new filter, i only noticed a jolt when i’d popped it into neutral at the lights and then tried to pop it back into D and pull away quickly, the revs went up before it had engaged and caused a jolt. I guess if I just leave it in D at lights i won’t run into that again

Best just to leave in drive, doesn't harm the transmission.

• Like 2

I've driven 9 lexus vehicles with auto it's not recommended to select neutral at junctions  because the delay of selecting drive will be too long and there is a possibility of mistakes made in selection IE reverse and bang your fault 

• Like 2