Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handling Problems

Fitted new rear tyres a couple of weeks back (cheapo Kumho) and since then the handling has turned to sh*t. I don't think it's that the Kumho tyres are sh*t, I think something has gone wrong with my alignment. The tail now steps out really easily, and feels nervous all the time. I need to constantly correct the steering on the motorway for example.

The original left rear tyre was heavily worn on the outside edge, so I'm hoping that when my car gets serviced this week they can correct the problem. Do the dealers have the equipment to do a full 4 wheel alignment?

Any words of comfort would be nice :)

Hopefully I won't end up backwards in a hedge before it gets sorted.

you hav'nt had it lowered have you?,if not i would'nt expect the rear tracking to be out as with the tyres i would check there pressures

if the rears were wearing on the outside edge thats defo a major problem and your tracking was defo out before hand,if you put new tyres on this will compound the situation:o

Checked the pressures and they're fine, although I dropped them a couple of psi and the situation improved slightly!

The car is on standard suspension, but I did hit a kerb about 8 months ago pretty hard (got it sidways on a roundabout, over corrected and hit the kerb broadside, took 2 big chunks out the wheels) but the problems have only appeared since the new tyres went on.

Hopefully the service this week will shed a little light!

Further update:

The handling seems to be improving, although the car still squirms a little on damp roundabouts more than it used to, at least it no longer threatens to kill me. The tyres seem to be wearing OK, no obvious signs of abnormal wear. Maybe the IS is _very_ sensitive to tyre choice?

I would contact Lexus GB customer services and tell them about your problems, with the reputation they have for quality I don't think they will want you to go and publicly complain about it. e.g Auto Express.

On the other hand if you get no joy it sounds like it's time for a trade in, let some other poor sod put up with it.

I would contact Lexus GB customer services and tell them about your problems, with the reputation they have for quality I don't think they will want you to go and publicly complain about it. e.g Auto Express.

On the other hand if you get no joy it sounds like it's time for a trade in, let some other poor sod put up with it.

You don't wanna buy it do you? :D

I'm selling it anyway. I loved this car, but it's time to move on. I need more power and can't justify £5000 for an extra 50bhp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Weird, this is one of the odlest posts I can find but I have had the same trouble, my IS has Kumho's all round and the back end slips away easily, it always feels nervous. I am thinking about swopping them as I've driven a few on test and pushed them hard with no troubles.

So, time to find somewhere cheap for michelins then

So, time to find somewhere cheap for michelins then

Costco do Michelin Pilot Sports for £128 (inc VAT) + £1 for fitting and balancing.

considering them myself when mine need changing.

though I will be buying them @ Costco, and having them fitted by Lexus, and have the digital tracking done which Chris and UltraViolet recommend

Fitted new rear tyres a couple of weeks back (cheapo Kumho) and since then the handling has turned to sh*t. I don't think it's that the Kumho tyres are sh*t,

Any words of comfort would be nice :)

I think you have answered your own question,

Think about it, The handling was OK until you changed your tyres

Now ask yourself, What's changed with the Car. 'Tyres' what has an effect on the ride and handleing 'Tyres', I've Never heard of the tyres you mention, but think about it no tyre manufacture can supply orginal production tyres because of the cost, they will only supply tyres that are suitable for a number of makes of cars so there has to trade off, Road Noise, Handling etc

These new tryes may have a softer side wall compond which will affect your corning 'handling' I suggest you swap the rears with fronts and then see if this have affect, got to be worth a try.

Fitted new rear tyres a couple of weeks back (cheapo Kumho) and since then the handling has turned to sh*t. I don't think it's that the Kumho tyres are sh*t,

See my post above - Bought mine second hand with these Sh*t tyres on all 4 corners. Having test driven a number of IS 200's and pushed them hard I was originally impressed with the handling, these Kumho's are awful and have made the car feel like a completely different vehicle. :nuke:

I am swapping to F1's ASAP as I cover alot of miles and need the reassurance my tyres can cope with all driving situations.

Change tyres front and rear and try! My Lotus Europa became a twitchy dog when I put Firestones on the rear 30years ago, and an understeering pig when I moved them to the front!

Then get a 4wheel alignment done. (which you should have done straight after hitting the kerb!) Wear on the outside of the rear tyres suggests a lot of toe-in, enough to overcome the natural wear on the inside due to acceleration.

In the end, throw the Khumos away. Mine has the Goodyear Ducaro's on that I bought it with, quieter than the Yokohamas that were on the other five I test drove and they work brilliantly. I'll try my favourite Bridgstones when I need to replace them.