Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Water Pump Cost for RX 450h

Hello. I'm looking at the entire RX range as a possible next purchase and just doing my research into running costs etc. 

I notice on the honest john website it has this to say about replacing the water pump on the RX 450h

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/rx450h-2009/?section=good

Has anyone here with a 450h had their water pump replaced at reasonable cost? I notice on the Lexus UK website in the fixed price essential maintenance area, they ominously omit a price on replacing the water pump on the 450h.

£1,200 to £1,800 is surely dealer pricing and much higher than an indi would charge.

Or DIY as the parts are cheap, see the Rock Auto site, etc

• Like 1

The Lexus dealer price for replacing the water pump on the 400h is £395. So the issue seems to be more to do with having to remove the engine on the 450h to do the work as opposed to dealer prices.

• Like 1

Yes, it does seem alarming if you read the link I posted.

This is why I thought I'd ask for real experiences here as I would be amazed if this job can not be done with engine in-situ

No mention of engine removal here http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/rx_450h_fwd/v6-3.5l_(2gr-fxe)_hybrid/engine_cooling_and_exhaust/cooling_system/auxiliary_water_pump/component_information/locations/

*link updated*

Kinda struggling to find info from my phone tho.

I think there is Lee  :ohmy::ohmy:

waterpump.thumb.jpg.984615eb94ac8c6a2f0fc01065b02d15.jpg

Dang, so it's in the fine print. Well spotted.

I have seen it if it were shown in pictures! Hehe

Should be easier to see on my PC, later #specsavers

• Like 1

If you're worried about the water pump before buying a car, then maybe you should shake in your boots...as it has 2 pumps! (being a hybrid).

[emoji23]

20 minutes ago, Farqui said:

If you're worried about the water pump before buying a car, then maybe you should shake in your boots...as it has 2 pumps! (being a hybrid).

emoji23.png

At least the inverter pump looks easy enough to be a DIY job or a fairly inexpensive job at a garage - fingers crossed :smile:

I don't recall any mention of water pumps being replaced on the RX450h on the forums so no price reference. Lexus don't provide an essentials price for the 450h water pump, they just state N/A.

In the US there is some discussion about changing the water pump on the RX350, which is essentially the same engine for this discussion. Some people have managed it without removing the engine, but it is still a complex job.

I'm sure an independent price would be around £1000, however I'd not want to be the first RX450h water pump they had attempted.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

I don't recall any mention of water pumps being replaced on the RX450h on the forums so no price reference. Lexus don't provide an essentials price for the 450h water pump, they just state N/A.

In the US there is some discussion about changing the water pump on the RX350, which is essentially the same engine for this discussion. Some people have managed it without removing the engine, but it is still a complex job.

I'm sure an independent price would be around £1000, however I'd not want to be the first RX450h water pump they had attempted.

A relative of mine currently owns an RX 350 SE-L which as you say has the same engine as the 450h. His water pump started leaking at 107,000 miles. His local Lexus dealership replaced it for £567 with , I assume, the engine in-situ (I assume in-situ for that price). So maybe packing in all the hybrid kit around this engine on the 450h is what makes the replacement tricky??

His RX350 is a very nice ride by the way :biggrin:

Even on the series II RX350 the official procedure is to remove the engine, as it is for the series III RX350 too (not available in the UK).

Not sure if the 450h is more difficult or not - there is the hybrid system but most of that is out of the way and it doesn't have a starter motor or engine driven A/C compressor - I wouldn't think many 450h water pumps have been changed for people to figure out if it can be done in-situ or not. As things stand I'd assume the worst.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links