Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Almost a Lexus owner

Hi guys I'm new to the forum

I've been waiting for almost ten weeks for my NX to arrive in the country and I've spent the last week getting up to date quotes fro my new motor.

The disparity between quotes is really shocking. When I read earlier how someone on the forum had found Admiral to be a good insurer I went through the rigmarole of getting a quote from them, only to find it was over 50% higher than my current insurer at £766 and MandS at virtually the same cost. There are many others in the same ball park. Best quote I've had from what I call mainstream companies is £507 including NCP and Legal and courtesy car.

Seems like buying good value insurance is just as much a minefield as getting the best deal when buying a motor.

Welcome Jon

Insurance is very location and occupation specific. A company that is cheap for one person can be very expensive for another. Have you used a price comparison site, and I'd also recommend getting quotes from Direct Line, LV, and SwiftCover.

6 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Welcome Jon

Insurance is very location and occupation specific. A company that is cheap for one person can be very expensive for another. Have you used a price comparison site, and I'd also recommend getting quotes from Direct Line, LV, and SwiftCover.

Thanks Colin

I've tried them all now and whilst there are some cheap offers around £400 the mainstream companies all seem to be either in the £500/550 or the £700/800 bracket.

I'm tempted to stay with John Lewis at £507 with legal/courtesy car/protected NC

Next big decision or me is do I take Lexus paint protection .... decisions decisions  lol

Google money saving expert car insurance, there is a technique to cover most of the market.. I'd probably stick to John Lewis.

I think insurance costs have gone up this month Vs last month. I was quoted £600 a month ago, £800 for the same quote today, luckily my previous quote is locked in and complete today.

Thanks Dan, unortunately I didn't see your post before I got the insurance sorted on Monday. 

I went back to John Lewis to re-activate and accept their quote, during the process I said to the lass that my annual mileage should be reduced from 16K to 12K now that I do less driving with me confidently expecting that that would knock a tenner of the bill. Oh No, that will increase your premium by £90 ! Which then took it from a reasonable £505 to£597. Eventually spoke with a JL manager who spent most of the conversation talking to himself about how complicated modern day insurance is. After ten years with JL and following his advice that loyalty means nothing in their business i decided to look elsewhere. 

So I went to the LV site to have a look, as one of their companies was going to be my insurer through JL. Low and behold I got fully comp, named driver, protected no claims, legal expenses and similar size hire car included for £376. I can only assume it was because I am a new customer. 

When I did a money supermarket search nobody was anywhere near that price, with the add ons  they ranged from about £450 to £900.

We our with Direct Line and every year the quote jumps a little too much so after getting nowhere on the phone asking why, we have to go back in on line as a new customer to get the price we want.There's definitely  no loyalty.

I change insurer almost every year. Every other year I end up with Admiral as their quotes are so much cheaper for 'new' customers. Madness. 

As others have said, costs seem to be very location/car/job/age specific. I know people who swear by Direct Line, but over the years their quotes are almost always about double the cheapest. They aren't able to explain why.

LV have never been competitive for my motor insurance, but are excellent for my home insurance. Go figure...

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I change insurer almost every year. Every other year I end up with Admiral as their quotes are so much cheaper for 'new' customers. Madness. 

My daughter recently changed her car and was 6 months into an insured deal with Admiral that cost her just over a grand. She phoned to transfer the insurance to the new car only to be quoted £500+ to change - Madness. So she asked to cancel her existing insurance as she would look around for a new deal and was told she would get about £500 back - fair enough. Then went online to check with the Meerkats and the cheapest quote? - Admiral at pretty much the same price (£1,000) as she had paid on the current insurance. It would have been much easier for all concerned to just charge an admin fee to make the necessary changes - Madness