Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 Battery - Cold Start - Halfords

Lexi Lou II had minor hesitation starting last Wednesday and Thursday, hasn't been driven since Thursday evening and would not start this morning. What for recovery chap to charge her up.

Is a new Battery needed or is this just a phase (never had an issue in 2 years of my ownership). I'll let me know if its still on the original Battery.

Is this Halfords one suitable or is there a better offer?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-5-year-guarantee-hsb030-silver-12v-car-battery

Guessing is £115 fitted before LOC Gold discount, so just under £100 guaranteed for 5 years.

Thanks

That's the wrong Battery - like many Battery suppliers Halfords try to fob you off with one that will do (as indeed it will). It is a Type 030. IS250 needs a 068 - that's a rare size (it doesn't even appear on many Battery size specification charts) and few Battery suppliers stock them. 068 is the same size as 069 but with the terminals in the opposite orientation.

I'd suggest you get a Bosch S4026 or Varta E23 (they appear to be identical). Suppliers include CarParts4Less, GSF etc. You are unlikely to find it in stock in a shop.

It is likely that your Battery is knackered - modern batteries frequently fail without warning.

You don't mention what year your car is (and your profile says you have a 2001 IS200) but I think all IS250s need the same Battery size.

• Like 2

Have a read through this recent thread as my original ( 10 year old Panosonic) was fine one week and then after a cold snap Click,Click,Click...the Bosch S4 that I got in the end was a tight fit inside the plastic shroud but it does fit.

Don't forget you will have to reset electric Windows after Battery dis-connect.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/107731-best-12v-battery-for-is250/

Paul m.

4 hours ago, johnatg said:

That's the wrong battery - like many battery suppliers Halfords try to fob you off with one that will do (as indeed it will). It is a Type 030. IS250 needs a 068 - that's a rare size (it doesn't even appear on many battery size specification charts) and few battery suppliers stock them. 068 is the same size as 069 but with the terminals in the opposite orientation.

I'd suggest you get a Bosch S4026 or Varta E23 (they appear to be identical). Suppliers include CarParts4Less, GSF etc. You are unlikely to find it in stock in a shop.

It is likely that your battery is knackered - modern batteries frequently fail without warning.

You don't mention what year your car is (and your profile says you have a 2001 IS200) but I think all IS250s need the same battery size.

I think I will go with the Halfords one it fits, Halfords is around the corner from me and 5Y warranty appear appealing.

If seems that The Yuasa is a better Battery vs the Bosch, 75Ah vs 70Ah and 640Ah vs 630Ah and 5years v 4 years.

The breakdown man said it's charging fine, but will need replacing, my mechanic said its just a phase for winter, but I'm a little nervous after Texas's comments.

53 minutes ago, LennyLexus said:

I think I will go with the Halfords one it fits, Halfords is around the corner from me and 5Y warranty appear appealing.

If seems that The Yuasa is a better battery vs the Bosch, 75Ah vs 70Ah and 640Ah vs 630Ah and 5years v 4 years.

The breakdown man said it's charging fine, but will need replacing, my mechanic said its just a phase for winter, but I'm a little nervous after Texas's comments.

Being rated better doesn't necessarily mean its better. It has a 5 year warranty but they tend to go dead just over 5 years. 

These Bosch and Varta batteries, although only having 4 years, tend to last a heck of a long time sometimes. My son's car is running on an OEM Varta Battery - its 9 years old!

Lexi Lou II had minor hesitation starting last Wednesday and Thursday, hasn't been driven since Thursday evening and would not start this morning. What for recovery chap to charge her up.

Ask you friendly recovery man for a recommendation.  They know the best batteries for each car.  And usually know the best place locally to get one.  They can also supply and fit one for a price....well the AA and RAC can.

1 hour ago, LennyLexus said:

I would advice to go with anyone, but Halfrauds... 

I had their Battery fitted (some sort of Halfords "Platinum" 4 years warranty), it failed after 2.5 years (Diagnosed by halfrauds service themselves - shorting cells) and both Halfrauds Retail and Service declined to replace it under warranty pointing at each other. All in all any on occasions I had to deal with either Halfords Service or Retail they provided appalling customer service every time consistently and nearly worst prices in the market. 

+1 on Not going to Halfrauds, there is plenty of competition out there and if you are a bit tech savvy ( I guess you might be as you asked advice on this forum) then you will see that the type of owner/driver that frequent Those high street 'Garages' ( term used loosely ) will be the type that do not know how to open the bonnet and pay through the nose thinking that is the norm.

paul m.

• Like 1

Halfords after-sales service is a mixed bag, I think it depends on the store/staff/product. I've seen equal numbers of forum posts praising and criticising them.

However, their 'attempt' to fit a new Battery to my IS about 18 months ago was embarrassing and inept, although reportedly they seem to be quite expert at fitting dashcams (?)

• Like 1

Maybe somebody want to give the a shot fitting dashcam? I guess good idea if you want to get rid of your car as they are likely to make irreparable damage. Unless obviously what they mean by fitting is simply sticking it on windshield and plugging it in to the cigarette lighter via adapter  and leaving the cables hanging in the middle. Somehow cannot see proper "hard wiring" happening at halfrauds. 

Last time I have accidentally found myself in their store when desperately looking for wheel nut, which they did not have ... (I mean the "car oriented" shop which does not have a wheel nut tells part of the story) I witnessed interesting story unfolding - the lady came with I Vauxhall Corsa and asked for headlight bulb replacement. She paid £8 for generic halogen bulb and £15 for fitting. I was itching to to tell her how awful was the value of that deal.. but the worst part came when they could not fit it. I am not sure if they were genuinely struggling to pop-the bulb in or they faked it to justify £15 for fitting.... or maybe they sold wrong bulb.

One way or another .. I am trying to keep distance away from Halfrauds when I can.. 

You need to know that the binding posts and the Battery orientation are the same. Some binding posts are the narrower type. Pic I saw made them look narrower. Overall size is pretty close though.

S4 068 is correct ... personally I'd stick with that. Last time I looked the S4 was around £80/87

53 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

Are 068 and 030 not compatible?

068 is 266mm x175mm x 220 . Has slightly less A and CCA

030 is 270mm x 173 mm x 222 mm

Won't they both fit?

The factory fitted Panasonic Battery is 257mm X 170mm X 200mm.

So the Bosch S4 at 260mm X 173mm X 200mm is a snug fit but it does fit. I have got one!

paul m.

1 hour ago, Gramera flash said:

There you go, about the best deal I could find for the Bosch

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s4026

They add £12 delivery charge on top, which makes it "not so good" of the deal. Even though they have price match guarantee they won't match the price if you find the Battery cheaper elsewhere, because they deem anyone selling batteries cheaper then them to be "irresponsible and unreliable" . 

7 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

They add £12 delivery charge on top, which makes it "not so good" of the deal. Even though they have price match guarantee they won't match the price if you find the battery cheaper elsewhere, because they deem anyone selling batteries cheaper then them to be "irresponsible and unreliable" . 

Strange, their website quotes £7.98 delivery.

+ VAT? or Including VAT. I might be misquoting to be honest, the only thing I remember was that when I ordered mine, I have ordered from Tanya at first, but then they added all delivery costs etc. it was all in all £12 more expensive than same Battery from another supplier and they refused to match the price.

If you can wait ( they come along very frequently ) for a 50% off flash sale from ECP then I should be £83 inc Delivery for a S4 068 with 4 year G'tee 

paul m.

image.png

The website says 

Battery £78.78 inc VAT

Delivery £7.98 inc VAT 

That is a total of £86.76 all inc

if these figures are correct, and these are the figures from their up to date website this is probably the best current deal on the Bosch in my opinion, unless that is, someone can come up with a better price.

2 hours ago, Gramera flash said:

The website says 

Battery £78.78 inc VAT

Delivery £7.98 inc VAT 

That is a total of £86.76 all inc

if these figures are correct, and these are the figures from their up to date website this is probably the best current deal on the Bosch in my opinion, unless that is, someone can come up with a better price.

Yes, it is similar - previously it was ~£84 and I paid £71.98 including everything , so ~ £12 less. Sadly it seems that supplier no longer in business... maybe because they were selling too cheap :w00t:

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Yes, it is similar - previously it was ~£84 and I paid £71.98 including everything , so ~ £12 less. Sadly it seems that supplier no longer in business... maybe because they were selling too cheap :w00t:

Sorry, didn’t realise they had gone out of business