Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Wear Warning - LS430

DaKa

I'm a little embarrassed that I forgot having only changed the front pads 10,000 miles ago and last weekend got a warning light on the dash about 'brake wear!'.

I've changed the front pads and rotors and also the rear pads. The sensor connection on the rear was a little fiddly - there was a tiny clip that pinged off but I believe that I worked out how it went back on when the new pads were fitted.

However, the warning on the dash still remains and with new pads front and rear, I've either re-connected something again wrongly, or, the error code needs to be cleared?

I remember something similar when changing my AC cabin filters and there was a combination of buttons to press to clear the warning - Does anyone know if the same is true for the brake wear sensor warning?

I would have thought it would reset automatically.

P.S. I've just disconnected the Battery for a full recharge, but still the error persists. I thought I would ask the forum before taking things apart again if anyone knows if the sensor brake wear dash warning has to be reset in the cabin?

I may have answered my own question with a little research on the US Lexus forum:

https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/57700-brake-pad-wear-sensor/

Appears I may have to replace the sensor - strange design to destroy a sensor once activated? 

I have seen a China import on eBay for circa £15 but could take 4 weeks to arrive - other similar retail at circa £30!

If you dont want to shell out then you can can snip the sensor off and join the 2 wires.

I cannot remember the last time I wore the pads right down that they became dangerous or stopped the brakes working.

Thanks Mark, 

I tried a bit of solder earlier today and some high temperature silicone as per the US forum link, but my attempts made no difference as I'm rubbish with a soldering iron.

I've taken a punt on some cheap but perfect looking China imports on eBay (2 separate orders from different sellers) - they will likely take a while to arrive, but I will post back with feedback when or rather if they arrive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Right-Side-Brake-Pad-Wear-Indicator-Sensor-for-LEXUS-LS430-47770-50060/132523547105?epid=15015839079&hash=item1edb04d9e1:g:vyAAAOSwcOlamPol

There are 4-5 sellers selling the same item.

Not sure why UK price is x 10 higher.

Thanks Mark for affirming the tip on the sensor, my second attempt worked.

As suggested, wires pushed though and stripped back a little to expose the metal that was indeed severed (albeit it still looked intact), a bit of twisting, solder and high temperature gasket seal had it back on the car and functioning as intend. 

I will replace when the cheap imports arrive and give some feedback to close this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

New part(s) arrived from China - perfect quality/fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Rear-Right-Side-Brake-Pad-Wear-Indicator-Sensor-for-LEXUS-LS430-47770-50060

I now have a new spare (as ordered 1 from 2 separate providers - spreading my £8 risk!) and an old repaired one as spare - will never let pads get that low again, so will likely sit on the garage shelf.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Should anyone want/need a new LS430 imported rear brake sensor 'ex-gratia' then send me a PM - first to ask as one unwanted extra only.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links