Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2005 3rd gen GS300 and am really happy with it. Unfortunately I have a TPMS 'Check System' error, and having acquired techstream and a mini VCI cable I can see 2 sensors are not transmitting, presumably out of Battery

Lexus have quoted £75 per sensor plus extra for fitting, so I've been searching on eBay UK for sensors and all the GS300 ones seem to be 315mhz, but I've read elsewhere that UK ones are 433mhz. 

Can anyone in the UK confirm what frequency the sensors are? Also, will any generic 433mhz sensor work or does it need to be specifically be for a mk3 GS?

Many thanks,

Jimi

Jimi,

If you can solder you might want to follow' instructions by Britprius posted here on replacing the batteries. Costs pennies and you will not have to feed any new codes into your system.

Search for "Lexus GS Gen 3 TPMS" thread.

John

• Like 1

In my post I used tagged batteries, and soldered them in. This is by no means essential you can use standard CR2450 button cells fitted in the sensors and gluing the lids on with a hot glue gun or epoxy resin.

Soldering gives a more reliable connections, but the current flow is so small it is not imperative. The cells can be bought on the bay for around 50 pence each if you order 4 or 5. These will last at leased as long as the original, and can be replaced again without the need for programming. 

John.

• Like 3

Thanks guys, I'm usually pretty good with this sort of thing so will give it a try. 

Do you have any tips on removing the tyres from the rims yourself, or are you taking them to a tyre fitter for that bit? I've watched a few videos on YouTube giving DIY tricks for breaking the tyre bead but it looks tricky. 

Thanks Colin. 

So can anyone confirm if any 433mhz Toyota/lexus sensor will work on a 2005 GS? 

Something like this? https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-TPMS-Valve-433MHz-Toyota-Avensis-Auris-and-Lexus/173151109282?epid=28011986306&hash=item28509c40a2:g:bmQAAOSw8W5aWQKa

I like the Battery replacement idea, but without an easy way to remove the sensors from the wheel myself it's going to take me multiple trips back and fourth to my tyre fitter and this is my only car making logistics quite tricky!

Indeed. Easy to change when changing the tyres but a hassle otherwise, Buy new TPMS and go to friendly tyre place to remove tyre and old TPMS, install new TPMS and refit tyre.

Looked at your eBay TPMS and spotted a set of four which look like the same item. Interestingly this set has the customer comment:- 

17 Feb, 2018
Perfect Replacement Item for 2007 Lexus GS450h
Bought these for my 2007 GS450h as I needed a full set as within a week all four batteries died. Got my friendly mechanic to fit them and I though I would have to reprogram them using Techstream but all I had to do was press the initialisation button under the dash and the car picked them up and the light went out. 3 weeks on and no problems so far! Highly recommended product and seller.

Believable? Bitprius?

John

According to toyodiy.com the correct part code for a 2005 GS is 42607-30040. That seems to be unique, no other Toyota vehicle is using that part. In late 2006 part 42607-50010 started to be used, which is also used on IS, SC, LS, and RAV4. Possibly just a change in shape or manufacturer and all sensors are compatible with each other, but cannot say one way or the other.

Best to get a seller to confirm it works on your vehicle so at least you can send back if it doesn't work.

21 hours ago, Jimi.K. said:

Thanks guys, I'm usually pretty good with this sort of thing so will give it a try. 

Do you have any tips on removing the tyres from the rims yourself, or are you taking them to a tyre fitter for that bit? I've watched a few videos on YouTube giving DIY tricks for breaking the tyre bead but it looks tricky. 

I went to my local tyre fitter. The tyres do not need removing from the rim just the outside bead pushed off into the centre of the rim.

You can then remove the monitor valve to work on, and fit a standard rubber valve so that you can continue to use the car. There is no need to re-balance because the tyre has not been moved on the rim. My tyre fitter charged me £5 for each tyre worked on including the rubber valves.

John. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks or the help on this - I finally got round to trying the Battery replacement trick on my day off last week and it worked a treat! I've only needed to do one sensor so far, I think the warmer temperatures have revived the other low Battery for the time being.

I got a full quote for TPMS replacement from my local lexus dealer (I only managed to get the price for the part last time) and they quoted £178 per wheel! So huge savings to me made by doing it yourself. 

Jimi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimi.K. said:

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks or the help on this - I finally got round to trying the battery replacement trick on my day off last week and it worked a treat! I've only needed to do one sensor so far, I think the warmer temperatures have revived the other low battery for the time being.

I got a full quote for TPMS replacement from my local lexus dealer (I only managed to get the price for the part last time) and they quoted £178 per wheel! So huge savings to me made by doing it yourself. 

Jimi

Well done. As you have found for a little effort you can save a lot of money. I wonder how many perfectly good tyre monitors are discarded each week, and the man hours wasted programming in the new sensors at exorbitant costs.

John. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I've tried the Battery replacement trick on the other sensor that had a low Battery and it's not gone so well. I now have an intermittent "check system" warning - typically it comes on after 5-10 minutes of driving, and will sometimes clear after being parked for a while, before reappearing after driving again.

Techstream has given me error code "C2143 - A malfunction in the tyre pressure sensor registered to ID3". This is different to the error I was getting before with the low Battery "C2123 - Cannot recieve a data from the transmitter ID3" so I suspect I may have damaged the sensor. 

Interestingly the sensor is now over reading pressure by quite some margin - around 600Kpa as opposed to around 300Kpa in the other tyres - see image below. I'm wondering if after replacing the Battery I was a bit over-zealous with the silicone and have sealed the sensor up too well preventing it from reading the pressure properly. This might not explain why the problem is intermittent though.

Any ideas on what might solve this issue, before I buy a new sensor? 

RarE3ep0.png

It does sound as though you have sealed the very small hole that monitors the tyre pressure.

If the fault  C2143 is intermittent it is likely a loose connection at the Battery in the sensor, and would still be worth going over the work you have done.
You can check if the fault is still there after reworking just by carrying the sensor in the car shaking and tapping it occasionally to prove it's reliability. The car should register that you have a flat tyre, and the fault code should be able to be cancelled without reapearing.

John.

Thanks John. I don't suppose you know where the hole is that monitors the pressure? Below is a picture of the monitor I took when it was removed from my car. cbwAzwKs.jpg

Thanks, Jimi

Jimi, sorry I cannot remember where the hole was. I do remember thinking to myself "are that's where the chip gets the pressure from.

If you peel away the sealant you put on as much as possible, and check the Battery connections with luck it will start reading correctly. The sealant is not a requirement for the system to work.

Be careful with the connection on the underside of the Battery "negative side" that the connecting strip does not short the Battery negative to positive terminal. Near the edge of the Battery on the negative side they are in close proximity.

You can check the pressure reading before fitting the sensor in the tyre just by having the sensor close to the car. The car will register a flat tyre, but will still show temperature, Battery condition "as over for a full battery", and the monitor number.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, 

Thanks for the help. In the end I found a pre-programmed sensor on eBay for £35. I used techstream to get the car to recognise it and paid a local guy £10 to fit it. So far its working a treat. 

The car's working perfectly now, but its a bit bitter-sweet as I'm selling it. My new job involves a lot of miles and they're forcing me into taking a company car (a base-spec mondeo of all things!) and I can't really justify having 2 big saloons on the driveway. I'm thinking I might replace it with an SC430 though! 

Jimi

3 hours ago, Jimi.K. said:

Hi John, 

Thanks for the help. In the end I found a pre-programmed sensor on ebay for £35. I used techstream to get the car to recognise it and paid a local guy £10 to fit it. So far its working a treat. 

The car's working perfectly now, but its a bit bitter-sweet as I'm selling it. My new job involves a lot of miles and they're forcing me into taking a company car (a base-spec mondeo of all things!) and I can't really justify having 2 big saloons on the driveway. I'm thinking I might replace it with an SC430 though! 

Jimi

I'm jealous I really fancy an SC430, but unless you get an early one you get hit by high road tax. So at the moment I am contemplating a Tesla.

If you still have the old tyre monitor would it be possible to send it to me, "I'll happily pay any costs involved". The idea is to dissemble one to component level to see what can be done with them. I am a retired electronics engineer.

John 

Hi John,

Not a problem, I'd be happy to. PM me your address and I'll post it to you, don't worry about the cost. I'm afraid the valve snapped off the sensor when it was removed, but the electronics should be in tact. 

Jimi

14 hours ago, Jimi.K. said:

Hi John,

Not a problem, I'd be happy to. PM me your address and I'll post it to you, don't worry about the cost. I'm afraid the valve snapped off the sensor when it was removed, but the electronics should be in tact. 

Jimi

Thank's Jimi. Very much appreciated, and this could help other Lexus owners in the future. PM on it's way.

John.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2018 at 8:18 AM, ColinBarber said:

315 MHz is not an unlicensed frequency in Europe, including the UK, and would be illegal to use. Any UK vehicle will have tyre pressure sensors and door remote controls operating at 433 MHz.

Hi Colin by you saying 315mhz is illegal do you mean its not compatible with UK version GS's or compatible but will be deemed an issue if and when say car insurance notices its not 433mhz? 

2 hours ago, noby76 said:

Hi Colin by you saying 315mhz is illegal do you mean its not compatible with UK version GS's or compatible but will be deemed an issue if and when say car insurance notices its not 433mhz? 

Jeff. 315Mhz is used for other purposes in the UK so it is not licenced for TPMS use. This does mean it is illegal to use that frequency unless you are authorised to do so. It has nothing to do with your insurers. 

Just for interest 315Mhz is listed as UK mobile phone earth to space communication.

John,

31 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Jeff. 315Mhz is used for other purposes in the UK so it is not licenced for TPMS use. This does mean it is illegal to use that frequency unless you are authorised to do so. It has nothing to do with your insurers. 

Just for interest 315Mhz is listed as UK mobile phone earth to space communication.

John,

thanks for clarifying John.... ahhh 😠 silly me  i've bought 4 denso ones off rockauto in US had them fitted and after driving today the TPMS light has come back on.. needless to say they are 315mhz ones. I should have done more research before ordering them.  what a waste...  oh well i guess i will have them removed and try and source one from tpmswarehouse.co.uk more pricey but i guess i don't have any other option.. :sad:

6 hours ago, noby76 said:

John has covered this but by illegal I mean that without a license from Offcom you cannot transmit on that frequency in the UK without breaking the law. The car's TPMS receiver on a UK vehicle wouldn't detect that frequency either so not only would it be illegal, it also wouldn't work (which unfortunately you have discovered).

The same is true for keyfobs too - don't purchase ones outside of Europe and expect them to work.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:12 PM, ColinBarber said:

John has covered this but by illegal I mean that without a license from Offcom you cannot transmit on that frequency in the UK without breaking the law. The car's TPMS receiver on a UK vehicle wouldn't detect that frequency either so not only would it be illegal, it also wouldn't work (which unfortunately you have discovered).

The same is true for keyfobs too - don't purchase ones outside of Europe and expect them to work.

Thanks for clarifying Colin..you live and you learn as they say..