Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fate, Karma, or just a bad cosmic alignment?

For a total of about 15 years, I've been running around with an LPG tank in the spare wheel well instead of the spare wheel, and not a single puncture was had.

Four weeks into my ownership of an RX450h with a spare wheel and I get a puncture! Not only that, it's so close to the sidewall to make repair impossible, so tomorrow I'll be swapping one hundred and fifty of our Great British beer tokens for a new tyre  :wallbash:

At least the upside was that Lexus Breakdown Services got the AA guy out within 15 minutes because, rather embarrassingly, I've not yet familiarised myself with the location of jacking points and didn't want to damage anything if I went for the wrong place.

EDIT - The fronts are Bridgestones (can't remember exactly which ones and as it's dark, cold and wet, I'm not going out to find out) and the rears - of which this is one - are Dunlop SP Sport 270. I usually like to have all four tyres the same but I just can't afford to do that now, especially as all these tyres have a decent amount of tread. The Dunlops seem to get bad reviews, although in the 1,000 miles I've done since getting the car, I have to say they seem alright to me.

I'm just wondering if I should take the opportunity to change to a brand that I'm more comfortable with and that get better reviews, but that would mean there would be three different brands of tyre on the car and I'm guessing that that isn't really 'a good thing'TM

Should I stick with Dunlop to match its axle-mate or should I get something different and start the gradual migration to a whole set?

nail1.jpg

Yes very annoying. (I like the banging-head against brick wall emoticon. You've got to have a sense of humour in these circumstances). I remember taking delivery of a brand new Ford Granada donkey's years ago and within days getting a puncture similar to yours and having to replace a brand new tyre! Arghh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sorcerer said:

For a total of about 15 years, I've been running around with an LPG tank in the spare wheel well instead of the spare wheel, and not a single puncture was had.

Four weeks into my ownership of an RX450h with a spare wheel and I get a puncture! Not only that, it's so close to the sidewall to make repair impossible, so tomorrow I'll be swapping one hundred and fifty of our Great British beer tokens for a new tyre  :wallbash:

At least the upside was that Lexus Breakdown Services got the AA guy out within 15 minutes because, rather embarrassingly, I've not yet familiarised myself with the location of jacking points and didn't want to damage anything if I went for the wrong place.

EDIT - The fronts are Bridgestones (can't remember exactly which ones and as it's dark, cold and wet, I'm not going out to find out) and the rears - of which this is one - are Dunlop SP Sport 270. I usually like to have all four tyres the same but I just can't afford to do that now, especially as all these tyres have a decent amount of tread. The Dunlops seem to get bad reviews, although in the 1,000 miles I've done since getting the car, I have to say they seem alright to me.

I'm just wondering if I should take the opportunity to change to a brand that I'm more comfortable with and that get better reviews, but that would mean there would be three different brands of tyre on the car and I'm guessing that that isn't really 'a good thing'TM

Should I stick with Dunlop to match its axle-mate or should I get something different and start the gradual migration to a whole set?

nail1.jpg

Why don't you ask your tyre place if they can get this repaired? Last year i got a puncture in a similar place- which cannot be repaired on-site.  But they could sent it away for a galvanised repair which cost about £30, I think.  This may be worthwhile when there's  sufficient life left in it.......?

Get it repaired and then look to change as an axel-pair towards the end of Summer. I went with Goodyear all-seasons on her RX Sport. Will be doing so again for the rears in the next month or so...

16 hours ago, sorcerer said:

nail1.jpg

I presume the fronts are Bridgestone Dueler H/L 33 or H/P Sport as these are the ones that Lexus tend to use. I currently have Bridgestone Dueler H/L 33 on the 4RX and had SP Sport 270 on the 3RX (factory fitted)

The Dunlops are ******* and have poor grip on the front because they are a harder compound. On the rear, they should be fine as the vehicle is ultimately FWD with a bit of RWD assistance.

Because the dunlops are a harder compound, they will last ages on the rear. I swapped all 4 to Michelin Latitude Tour HP on the 3RX when the car was at 26k miles. The rear dunlops still had 4-5mm left. 

The Bridgestones are very soft - my 4RX has done 16k miles and the front tyres are on 2mm so waiting for the delivery to arrive from Germany because Lexus want £250 each to change them. 

Bearing that in mind, I would say swap both rears for something you want to add to the front in the future, as it is likely the Bridgestones will be shot way before the rear ones even reach 6mm

I'm also looking at getting new rear tyres at the moment,the Dunlop sport tyres our now becoming noisy but as Rayaans as said they have lasted ages.I put Bridgestone Dueler H/L 33 on the front about a year ago and they have been fine but do seem to wear quick so i'm not sure if should go for these for the rear or go with something like Pirelli all season or not.

Any advice would be welcome.

4 minutes ago, Eame64 said:

I'm also looking at getting new rear tyres at the moment,the Dunlop sport tyres our now becoming noisy but as Rayaans as said they have lasted ages.I put Bridgestone Dueler H/L 33 on the front about a year ago and they have been fine but do seem to wear quick so i'm not sure if should go for these for the rear or go with something like Pirelli all season or not.

Any advice would be welcome.

For the 3RX in 235/55 r19 tyre size, you've got a lot of options. 

I would go for the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons SUV G2 all around. 

The Bridgestone's have a very short life but, the benefit is that they do grip fairly well and aren't loud etc. Ive gone for them again purely because the 4RX has a very awkward tyre size (235/55 r20) and there aren't many other options around. Luckily I only paid £178 each and Lexus Bradford charge £10+VAT for fitting which is a good £110 saving over getting it from them

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 9:27 PM, sorcerer said:

nail1.jpg

Hi John

It's absolutely sod's law with punctures. It reminds me of when we had a Reliant Scimitar GTE (great car, but that's another story). We had had it for several years with no punctures but then drove down to Les Arcs for a skiing holiday. Halfway down through France the driver of a car behind began flashing his lights and gesticulating pointing to the back of our car. I pulled over to find that one of our rear tyres was half flat and was rapidly deflating. Changed the wheel for the spare tyre. (A great feature of the Scimitar was that the spare was kept under the bonnet in front of the engine so no need to unload all the luggage just to change the wheel!) Carried on to Les Arcs with no further problems and parked in a multi storey carpark. A couple of days later I found a garage in the village that said they could repair the puncture so went to fetch the car only to find the other rear wheel had picked up a nail and was as flat as a pancake! Luckily I had a foot pump so inflated the tyre and drove round to the garage where they repaired both punctures. At the end of the week on the drive home the car's handling started to feel a bit strange. Would you believe a THIRD puncture!!!  Not one for years then three in one week!!!!!

I do miss that car, though.

JBP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBPRX400h said:

Hi John

It's absolutely sod's law with punctures. It reminds me of when we had a Reliant Scimitar GTE (great car, but that's another story). We had had it for several years with no punctures but then drove down to Les Arcs for a skiing holiday. Halfway down through France the driver of a car behind began flashing his lights and gesticulating pointing to the back of our car. I pulled over to find that one of our rear tyres was half flat and was rapidly deflating. Changed the wheel for the spare tyre. (A great feature of the Scimitar was that the spare was kept under the bonnet in front of the engine so no need to unload all the luggage just to change the wheel!) Carried on to Les Arcs with no further problems and parked in a multi storey carpark. A couple of days later I found a garage in the village that said they could repair the puncture so went to fetch the car only to find the other rear wheel had picked up a nail and was as flat as a pancake! Luckily I had a foot pump so inflated the tyre and drove round to the garage where they repaired both punctures. At the end of the week on the drive home the car's handling started to feel a bit strange. Would you believe a THIRD puncture!!!  Not one for years then three in one week!!!!!

I do miss that car, though.

JBP

My dad had three punctures in one day once! One on the way to work, got that repaired at lunch time, and then two on the way home. Having used the repaired wheel for the second puncture he had to walk 2 miles home when he got the third. Before that day he hadn't had one for many years.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links