Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Music on a USB

I have my NX300h Luxury now and so far it is very good. I will just have to get used to the smaller size compared to the RX and definitely the reduced power in comparison.

My question to the Forum regards the playing of music from a USB.

i have bought a 32Gb small USB and have loaded my music onto it.

i have set the music up in Folders where the name of the folder is the Artist and the Album Name e.g. Pink Floyd - Animals

The individual tracks are then listed in the folder.

However when I put the USB kin the car it only plays a few seconds then says there are no playable files. However all of the files are either MP3 or WMA

There are about 8,000 tracks altogether.

Is there a limit to the number of folders or tracks?

Have I made a schoolboy error somewhere along the way?

All help greatly appreciated

It will tell you the limit in your specific system manual. It will be a certain amount of folders, to a certain depth with a certain amount of tracks.

Mine is something like 250 folders 9999 songs if I recall correctly.

8000 tracks divided by lets say 12 songs equals potentially 650+ folders? You seem to have over 400 hours of music loaded. Long trip planned? :laugh:

Personally I would not use a mix of file types (I'm not sure if that is a cause or not). 

11 hours ago, keywest said:

I have my NX300h Luxury now and so far it is very good. I will just have to get used to the smaller size compared to the RX and definitely the reduced power in comparison.

My question to the Forum regards the playing of music from a USB.

i have bought a 32Gb small USB and have loaded my music onto it.

i have set the music up in Folders where the name of the folder is the Artist and the Album Name e.g. Pink Floyd - Animals

The individual tracks are then listed in the folder.

However when I put the USB kin the car it only plays a few seconds then says there are no playable files. However all of the files are either MP3 or WMA

There are about 8,000 tracks altogether.

Is there a limit to the number of folders or tracks?

Have I made a schoolboy error somewhere along the way?

All help greatly appreciated

I've a 64Gb but all my files are MP3

I've found that WMA or normally on CD's..........I'm not sure if WMA get picked up via the aux (it would detect it but might not have the codec to play it)

But I would of thought that it would bypass the WMA and just play the MP3

On all of that on some of my Floyd tracks (as I can see Clive you've got taste in music) from the wall, when the track reaches a lull it skips to the next track.

And finally yes there is a limit to the number of tracks, it's not quite track's thou it's the space they take

Just been thinking abit more on this;

On other types of devices firmware can be a problem so I don't know if you've the latest firmware, I believe there is another thread running on firmware

I have a 32Gb memory stick in my IS, which I recently used in an NX which I had as a courtesy car.

As has been mentioned, there is a limit on files/folders, and I believe its not limited to Lexus, you should have no more than 255 folders in your root directory, I have a folder for each artist, and put the album folders inside the respective artist folders, I think WMA work okay, but now have mine all as MP3.

Just checked the manual, says MP3, WMA & AAC, max 255 files (& folders) in any folder (including root), 9999 files total, 3000 folders total, no more than 8 levels of folder, ie folder in folder in folder etc.

Vince