Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressure Monitor MOT Fail

Grateful for any help with the following... 

My 2014 IS 300H F Sport has just failed it's MOT due to a faulty front tyre pressure monitor (constant warning light). The independent MOT garage said the tiny part is only available from Lexus,  and it also needs a Lexus dealer to put in an authorisation code to make it work. My nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive away and they are quoting nearly £200 to fix and reset the system. 

Is this really the only way I can get my car through its MOT?

Thanks in advance for any advice on a cheaper/easier alternative. 

Tom

The part is available from pretty much any tyre shop, as well as dealers.

It will need registering with the car's system though, some tyre shops will have the required software to do this, otherwise it will need a dealership. 

You could try tpms warehouse in Oswaldtwistle near Accrington they seem to have most makes of sensors and may be able to do something for you, just google the website for the info. Alternatively have you tried a local Toyota dealer they must use the same sensors. 

Hi Tom,

you didn't specify but,

1) have you checked your all round tyre pressures.

2) having done that, press the TPM  reset button as directed in the manual.

This might resolve the problem, sometimes one tyre can go below the preset range exciting the warning light.   If it works you will save yourself a lot of time and money.

I think other members, self included, have had this problem at one time or another. The reset button is located in the area  below the steering wheel. (check the manual)

Best wishes,

Michael.  

12 hours ago, Tomsky said:

Grateful for any help with the following... 

My 2014 IS 300H F Sport has just failed it's MOT due to a faulty front tyre pressure monitor (constant warning light). The independent MOT garage said the tiny part is only available from Lexus,  and it also needs a Lexus dealer to put in an authorisation code to make it work. My nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive away and they are quoting nearly £200 to fix and reset the system. 

Is this really the only way I can get my car through its MOT?

Thanks in advance for any advice on a cheaper/easier alternative. 

Tom

Where about's in Yorkshire are you?!

Surely you can't be that far from Lexus Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, Hull, Lincoln or even Stockport!

Anyway, the Lexus TPMS sensors for the IS and RC (and probably all the later models) are made by Pacific and I believe the product number is PMV-107J

They all need a relearn procedure or programming done to allow them to function. 

You can use other brands but it would need programming in using Techstream. I think the Lexus ones just need "relearning" but tyre shops should know which ones will/wont work