Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3 hours ago, Tel said:

Please note, I would only consider a fully loaded 4x4 F-Sport model & it will be closer to 40 than 30k.

Tel

That is assuming that AWD version will be available at all... and that is big assumption, because it is easily possible to have SUV which is only FWD at this size, even if it would be AWD it won't have any real off-road capabilities anyway. Additionally, considering that 99% of buyers will use it as city car I doubt there is market for AWD car and Lexus just knows that too well to be willing to increase complexity and cost of the model for non-existent market. Obviously, Toyota CHR has AWD, but that is only on 1.2 engine, so it would require separate development for say UX250h or 200.

Make no mistake - that is not Suzuki Jimny/Samurai (aka tiny but capable) - it is not offroader and never meant to be. It will be 100% city oriented car and it is even marketed as such - look at advert video - young executive driving it in the city between skyscapers.

even marketed as such - look at advert video - young executive driving it in the city between skyscapers.

It's not marketed TO those people. It's marketed so people will feel that's what they look like when driving. Selling you the dream not the car.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

that must be nightmare then... somewhat far from the dream car by any measure.

Anyway - I am not meant to be negative I am just not in the SUV thing at all - pointless thing for city, pointless thing off the road, but every single manufacturer and car journalist feeds them to everyone. I might sound like grandpa - but I see this not-so-new SUV trend as a bad thing. Especially, the latest iteration of super-mini-city-SUVs (aka crossover)  -... yes I know there are actually people who pays money for Nissan Joke (Juke :whistling:)... so Lexus UX is last of my worries.

That brings back to point @ColinBarber - I am not surprised they will make UX250h AWD version... equally I doubt it would make any difference if they wouldn't.. Same as CT was fine being FWD.

Anyway... I wish new owners much joy! and now I am off of this off topic :yinyang:

The reason I want a “pointless SUV” is that we are both 70 this year and getting in and out of my IS is not impossible but it should be a lot easier with the UX.. That’s my main reason. I have had 6 new Lexus IS’s and I do want a change of style and a little bit smaller.

I believe the 4WD option is an electric motor on the back axle which I have no need for so I am hoping I can get a top of the range model in 2WD. like 99% of the people who buy these SUV’s their driveway is as far off road as they will ever go. If it was called a mini estate car would that be more acceptable?

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

I believe the 4WD option is an electric motor on the back axle which I have no need for so I am hoping I can get a top of the range model in 2WD.

I'd say that is unlikely, it will probably be similar to the NX where only the base model gets FWD. It isn't about going off-road, it provides a smoother and more powerful electric drive, will reduce torque steer being felt at the steering wheel, as well as providing an added level of safety in the wet and snow.

@Richard1200 - as I said I don't meant to be negative especially as this topic is about you getting new car. I have no intentions to question your needs or reasoning behind it, furthermore going back to what I have said - it is that most people get it for pointless reasons and not that the car is pointless. If you live in country side with rough B roads and no off-road, then probably SUV is going to be more comfortable due to extra travel in suspension and taller tires, but for the rest - the city, A roads, motorway, offroad.. it is not so good.

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I'd say that is unlikely, it will probably be similar to the NX where only the base model gets FWD. It isn't about going off-road, it provides a smoother and more powerful electric drive, will reduce torque steer being felt at the steering wheel, as well as providing an added level of safety in the wet and snow.

That is exactly my point and sort of worry - AWD is clearly pointless on car like this and I was worried Lexus will follow NX set-up where you can only get SE with 2WD and if you want anything else you will have to have AWD, which unnecessary increases car price and probably increases fuel consumption as well.  

I am a big fan of any Suv, Crossover, Urban warrior or whatever manufacturers nowadays call the higher cars they produce. I like the high driving position, the practicality of it, easy getting in and out, easy lifting objects ( children!) into, the safe feeling they give. The view out of them and even the looks. But most of all they are just so practical compared to a normal sedan or coupe. As the entire segment is rapidly expanding i don't think i am the only one.

The UX looks great imo and especially the interior seems to set a new standard for its class i am convinced Lexus has a winner on their hands.

And the marketing? well thats indeed selling you a dream, good looking intelligent thirty somehings that never work and live in villas and smile 24/24. The reality is that over 60% of cars are bought by 50+ like me.

Then 4wd. Absolutely needed in the range and everyone is free to opt for 2 or 4wd. Maybe not such an issue in southern europe but try selling a 2wd car in mountain areas or  snowy countries. ( snow again this weekend nooo)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard1200 said:

The reason I want a “pointless SUV” is that we are both 70 this year and getting in and out of my IS is not impossible but it should be a lot easier with the UX..

That's the reason my wife gave for wanting an SUV - she just couldn't find one she wanted to pay for until the smaller ones become a year or two older.

She's not 70 though so it applies to anyone really. My inlaws also want something more like this but it's out their price range. 

TBH driving SUVs is easier in cities - atleast in my view. 

Visibility all around is much better. The 4RX is huge and I dont find it an issue in cities and narrow roads 

Got into an A7 the other day, similiar size but lower down - much more difficult to judge where extremeties are and a bloody nightmare trying not to kerb the wheels when going into multistorey car parks. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Richard1200 said:

Looks like a bit of a wait. Earliest deliveries will be end of 2018, more realistically early 2019.

Yep that sounds about right.  There's usually a long gap between when these things are released and their deliveries unless theyre facelifts. 

Although I think the IS facelift took 6 months from being unveiled to deliveries! 

• 2 weeks later...

Strikes me as quite normal to put a deposit down in such circumstances - it is refundable and you have the benefit of being extremely rare for the first few months. I did similar with the 3rd gen IS (I had the first in Northern Ireland and even a year on it was extremely rare - now you see them quite regularly). From memory my deposit was minimal.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:04 AM, Ian J. Parsley said:

Strikes me as quite normal to put a deposit down in such circumstances - it is refundable and you have the benefit of being extremely rare for the first few months. I did similar with the 3rd gen IS (I had the first in Northern Ireland and even a year on it was extremely rare - now you see them quite regularly). From memory my deposit was minimal.

Agreed, if you want to do that.

Personally, I would rather wait and buy a car with a huge discount 1 year later rather than paying the full price initially. I did the above with my 3RX and got a decent discount despite it being a new model, however, it was nowhere near the same amount as I would have got if buying 6 months - 1 year later

No right or wrong answer of course.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'd want to see a car in the flesh before putting down a deposit, even a refundable one. I was told the other day that the boot is so small 'it is next to useless' and will put a lot of buyers off. No idea if that is accurate or not, but only seeing a car up close will reveal if it will work for you in the real world or not.

On 6/25/2018 at 5:48 PM, First_Lexus said:

I'd want to see a car in the flesh before putting down a deposit, even a refundable one. I was told the other day that the boot is so small 'it is next to useless' and will put a lot of buyers off. No idea if that is accurate or not, but only seeing a car up close will reveal if it will work for you in the real world or not.

It's the same as a normal hatchback. In any case it'll be bigger than the CT so I doubt it's much of an issue

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, rayaans said:

That's the standard one. The hybrid has a raised floor and there's no lip

That's disappointing because the Lexus press release states the Battery is under the seat, could the one on show have had a spare wheel which is the reason for the raised floor?

"A new nickel metal-hydride (NiMH) Battery is used with a revised construction and more compact cooling system that allows for smaller dimensions overall. This allows the Battery to be located below the rear seat, minimising intrusion in the load space and supporting the UX's low centre of gravity."

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 7:24 AM, ColinBarber said:

That's disappointing because the Lexus press release states the battery is under the seat, could the one on show have had a spare wheel which is the reason for the raised floor?

"A new nickel metal-hydride (NiMH) battery is used with a revised construction and more compact cooling system that allows for smaller dimensions overall. This allows the battery to be located below the rear seat, minimising intrusion in the load space and supporting the UX's low centre of gravity."

Missed this post.

Lexus-UX-2019-1024-4b.jpg

The above seems to have a raised boot floor which you can pull up . Probably is down to the spare wheel rather than the Battery.

The photo of the other one has a large lip 

On 7/17/2018 at 11:12 PM, HarryM said:

Crumbs Richard, your 70 and ride a multistrada! Good on you, (I sold mine to save my license!)

The Multistrada was 2016 then Epilepsy came along late in life. Got my licence back in October last year. Now I have a Ducati Desert Sled. 

Before my heart op in 2012 I had a BMW 1200GS, a Harley Road king and a Norton ES2 but they all had to go.

• Thanks 1