Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not to labour the point but the ES is longer and lower than the GS so Duchie is correct.  And if Lexus do what every other manufacturer does the new ES will be at least as big if not bigger than the outgoing model. 

I agree with Rayaans; the new model ES has great looks (better than its anonymous German rivals), a classy interior and the one element that nobody else can match at the price: Lexus build quality.  I've had my Lexus almost two years now and I can't think of another make of modern car that I'd rather be in.

23 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

can you share those pics rayaans?

23 hours ago, Jamesf1 said:

how did you mange that?

One of my friends works in the head office in U.S.A

Unfortunately I received the pic over snapchat 

When its from him, I usually know its going to be something good but dont want to screenshot and post unless they decide to fire him lol

Whoops.  I searched for 2018 Lexus and was directed to the US site.  I assumed the vehicle they were showing was the new model.  If that's the old model for me it's very impressive; so the new model going by Rayaan's post must be amazing

One thing which is impressive about outgoing ES (2016-2018) is the number of different interior colour options and combos - something I doubt we will get in UK.

All in all ugly car, but I guess ES300h would make good taxi or exec-airport transfer car.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, Glover said:

Whoops.  I searched for 2018 Lexus and was directed to the US site.  I assumed the vehicle they were showing was the new model.  If that's the old model for me it's very impressive; so the new model going by Rayaan's post must be amazing

It's very good. Atleast I think so anyway

Yep the top pic is the one I got sent.

There's an F-Sport version too which looks better IMO but I dont know if its being released at the same time - I would presume so

Looks great in F-Sport guise.

Its certainly a classy looking thing

I must admit it looks better then I thought - overall, not that surprising, kind of down-scaled LS. Indeed much better then current loaf with overhangs and (in perspective) tiny wheels.

Overall, first car which I can visually compare it with is:

Image result for vw arteon

I like clean and very pronounced "upper character line" - surprisingly similar on both Arteon and ES.

5 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Overall, first car which I can visually compare it with is:

Image result for vw arteon

I like clean and very pronounced "upper character line" - surprisingly similar on both Arteon and ES.

Wierd, all I'm getting is:

IMG_8888.jpg.18d3da5ca494803b58d32c8470fb7ca1.jpg

:wink3:

A new LS went past me on the motorway this morning, which is the first one I've seen. Quite striking and the ES is of the same mould. Will be very interesting to see technical details.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

the ES looks very handsome... so does the new Toyota Camry such a shame most manufactures are offering/concentrating on SUV these days nothing against SUV's as I have been considering an SUV as my next car but I am still a Saloon man at heart.

It might be a good move on Lexus to introduce a fresh new model to UK/Europe and i think they should start considering offering more engine options. e.g. most engine option from your likes of BMW 5 series, Merc E and  Audi A6 which the GS competes with have engines ranging from small 1.8, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 litre turbo petrol/ diesel engines. only for lexus to offer 2.5 and 3.5litre in the GS's engines whats stopping them from introducing an efficient 1.8 hybrid, 2.0 hybrid to be sold along side the 300h then a 3.0 and 4.0 to be sold along side the 450h? benefits this gives the customer is engine/performance/mpg variety also give them the freedom to spec the cars as they wish rather than spec'ing it on behalf of the customer  as they currently do.

the current design from IS all the way to LS is a bit hit and miss in my eyes...i prefer the Gen 3's looks to the current gen GS. i think it looks a bit dull and if one drives past you don't go wow thats a striking looking exec car.  

Look at where Jaguar/Land Rover were interns of global car sales 10-15 years ago compared to where they are now. I think the new offerings from the XE, XF, XJ, F PACE to the baby Range Rover's to Velar, Discovery are all striking looking vehicles which has translated in high demand of Jaguars in USA and China these were markets they struggled in some 10-15 years ago.  Yes Reliabilities of Jaguar/Land Rover cars are questionable but i will overlook it and buy an XJ-L 5.0 today if in the position.. what a beauty... I think Lexus needs to revamp the designs and hopefully the ES is a start. 

I do love and prefer Lexus to other exec cars and will still be back in another GS one day but non German brands like Jaguar/Land Rover are looking very tempting to me these days and i might just have an affair with one.. 

Agree on the lack of engine choices and that goes well beyond ES. I am fine if Lexus decided to go all hybrid - but then bring all the toys on the table - 200h, 250h, 300h, 400h, 450h, 500h, 600h.. why not! 

As you all know I bought a high mileage 2006 IS 220D.

I had a look at the Lexus website and looking and building the cars on a very quick look most seem to spec black interiors which I'm not keen on. Quite like maroon with cream or beige leather. It seems the interior choice is limited.

I have to say I do like lexus cars but dark interiors put me off.

On my Volvo 940 I have light grey half leather and it looks nice and bright. Unless I win the lottery I'll stick with my £1500 IS and £250 1996 Volvo 940 SE 2.3 LPT  and £350 Volvo 240GLT. As you can see the lexus is the most expensive car I have bought in my 19 years of driving.

James

The colour choice is purely personal, when it comes to mk2 IS I am completely opposite - I would give a miss to any car with Cream/Grey interior and would only go for Black. As for newer cars, I don't mind Tan or Dark Rose - overall light colour is nice in new car, awful in used car over 10 years old. 

But you have a point, Lexus doesn't give much choice and that is not only for interior colours. In one hand that is good - every time I check used BMW I remind myself why I am stuck with Lexus - on BMW/Audi/MB everything is an option and you will never find right options for you in used car. On the other hand Lexus comes in 3-4 tiers and that is it, you get SE-L (Premier now) you get everything. One thing I believe they can do better (as you pointed out) - give little bit more interior colour options, few more different style rims, that would not inherently change their offering, but would allow customers to specify their cars to better suit the taste.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, noby76 said:

the ES looks very handsome... so does the new Toyota Camry such a shame most manufactures are offering/concentrating on SUV these days nothing against SUV's as I have been considering an SUV as my next car but I am still a Saloon man at heart.

It might be a good move on Lexus to introduce a fresh new model to UK/Europe and i think they should start considering offering more engine options. e.g. most engine option from your likes of BMW 5 series, Merc E and  Audi A6 which the GS competes with have engines ranging from small 1.8, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 litre turbo petrol/ diesel engines. only for lexus to offer 2.5 and 3.5litre in the GS's engines whats stopping them from introducing an efficient 1.8 hybrid, 2.0 hybrid to be sold along side the 300h then a 3.0 and 4.0 to be sold along side the 450h? benefits this gives the customer is engine/performance/mpg variety also give them the freedom to spec the cars as they wish rather than spec'ing it on behalf of the customer  as they currently do.

the current design from IS all the way to LS is a bit hit and miss in my eyes...i prefer the Gen 3's looks to the current gen GS. i think it looks a bit dull and if one drives past you don't go wow thats a striking looking exec car.  

Look at where Jaguar/Land Rover were interns of global car sales 10-15 years ago compared to where they are now. I think the new offerings from the XE, XF, XJ, F PACE to the baby Range Rover's to Velar, Discovery are all striking looking vehicles which has translated in high demand of Jaguars in USA and China these were markets they struggled in some 10-15 years ago.  Yes Reliabilities of Jaguar/Land Rover cars are questionable but i will overlook it and buy an XJ-L 5.0 today if in the position.. what a beauty... I think Lexus needs to revamp the designs and hopefully the ES is a start. 

I do love and prefer Lexus to other exec cars and will still be back in another GS one day but non German brands like Jaguar/Land Rover are looking very tempting to me these days and i might just have an affair with one.. 

In the Lexus range the IS, NX and RX are great looking, agressive, devisive and uniqiue., also bLexus should have made the LS more like the concept LF-FC. The current gen GS at the rear that gets lost in all other brands, brands that seem to mimic it e.g. Mazda 6,  Hyundai Genssis. Alfa Giulia. new Audi A6 rear.. The only GS that stands out and seems to get good rviews is the GS-F..

As for Jags, the only car in their range that looks nice is the XJ and the F type, XF still reinds me of a previous gen Ford mondeo, the XE is just like an XF but with an even more boring  and dull rear.. As for the f pace, the front  looks very generic, just like a volvo  XC40/XC90 front but with a jaguar badge...

As the saying goes beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.. but i might have to disagree about the XF and XE's looking dull in fact i think JLR cars are  one of the latest best looking exec cars on the roads today. dont get me wrong I am a Lexus man at heart and not knocking their designs but  looking at the XE and IS below in terms of handsomeness, clean and yet masculine, i think the Jag nudges the Lex.. the rear of jag looks very tidy and not loud as compared to the IS come to the front and you notice the XE actually looks like a Jaguar with its catlike headlights, nose and outer swopping bumpers to mimic whiskers which makes it look alive. the Lex is it trying top do too much in front. Yes modern Lexus's now have this signature design look but just felt like they trying a little too much.. but hey thats my opinion. 

lex rear.jpg

jag rear.jpg

XE.jpg

lexus1.jpg

I thing, you right regarding the looks being personal (kind of obvious), but I never liked XE. The only advantage for Jag is that you have an option to get one which packs real punch, whereas with IS you can have any option as long as it is 300h.. and that is where is the issue.

37 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I thing, you right regarding the looks being personal (kind of obvious), but I never liked XE. The only advantage for Jag is that you have an option to get one which packs real punch, whereas with IS you can have any option as long as it is 300h.. and that is where is the issue.

I agree. I don't know why they don't offer an IS450h.

38 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

The XE is interesting. I was thinking of one as a replacement for my MK2 IS as think it looks better than the MK3 IS which I find too fussy. Had an XE as a courtesy car a while back and it was the interior quality which really let it down. I've always wondered why the exterior looks are so important though as when driving it I can't see what it looks like outside so put my importance on the interior. Hence getting a GS. There is no accounting for taste!