Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

38 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I understand that the GS replacement might be a totally  new model ES which will be rear wheel drive. I don't believe that Lexus will not have a car of this size throughout the world. 

Lexus need a FWD drive model for the US market, there are plenty of states that won't buy RWD vehicles due to weather and don't want the expense of AWD.

3 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I understand that the GS replacement might be a totally  new model ES which will be rear wheel drive. I don't believe that Lexus will not have a car of this size throughout the world. 

The ES is FWD as its based on the Toyota Camry. New model Camry has just been released, the ES will continue to be based on that. FWD doesnt seem to do the A6 any harm in terms of sales in the UK

• Like 1

On 13/03/2018 at 11:46 AM, Jamesf1 said:

At the moment there is no official word on the demise of the GS. Speculation from USA is the GS will be dropped. For the UK that would mean selling the ES in its place. (Possibly rebadged GS??)

If this turns out to be the case, then yes you'd have to assume the GSF would end also. 

The worrying element of this is that the ES is a similar size to the GS but is an entry level mid size luxury car, and slots between the IS and GS. So wheres the GS is a true direct competitior the the A6, E class and 5 series, the ES is not (although for europe it could be ,made to be??)

Footnote - the CEO of Lexus Australia has hinted the GS badge may find its way onto a luxury 4 door coupe, to become an A7/CLS equivalent.

From the spy shots - the ES/GS whatever it is has a coupe like form with 4 doors. It could be that the next GS will be a 4 door coupe and the ES will be a 4 door conventional saloon for the UK market.

10 hours ago, Jamesf1 said:

The ES is FWD as its based on the Toyota Camry. New model Camry has just been released, the ES will continue to be based on that. FWD doesnt seem to do the A6 any harm in terms of sales in the UK

It is larger than the Camry, in fact almost the same size as the GS. Since 2012 it is somewhat based on the Avalon, not the Camry.

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

It is larger than the Camry, in fact almost the same size as the GS. Since 2012 it is somewhat based on the Avalon, not the Camry.

Yes your right it’s now based on the Avalon which is itself based on a modified longer wheelbase Camry platform, which currently is fwd or awd

Hi,

My dealer is also saying that the GS will be replaced with the FWD ES and he reckons there will be about 12 months without a GS or equivalent in the range. It looks like there are some bargains to be had on the last few GS models though...

Ive emailed Lexus UK and asked what is happening with the GS. Will let you know if I get anything back.

I asked Lexus UK the same thing and they said nothing in the pipeline to remove the GS from the current model list. But they would say that I suppose.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Jamesf1 said:

My reply was cannot comment on model line up before any press announcement. 

Which they may not do. In the same way they didn't really announce to the press that they stopped sale of the 200t variants of the IS, RC, NX, and RX.

Interesting thread. It was the GS that first attracted me into a Lexus showroom, but I ended up with the then just-launched NX because I loved the looks, the interior, and the greater flexibility. And astonished to see that the ES outsells the GS 7 to 1 in the US. If I were to consider a saloon rather than an SUV next time, I'd have no problem with front wheel drive rather than RWD. The key thing would be build quality on a par with the GS.

its disappointing to read the demise of the GS as this is the car that brings me to the brand for the very 1st time ... hoping to pick up my used GS300h this weekend :(

its a really nice car but its no surprise that the german/uk publications marketing scheme and great leasing schemes have virtually killed off the sector with their output. its going to be difficult for anyone else to make in roads.

real shame

Just looking at the Lexus USA website, the ES Hybrid starts at $41,000, and the GS Hybrid at $63,000. That might influence the sales figures.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:44 AM, Dippo said:

Just looking at the Lexus USA website, the ES Hybrid starts at $41,000, and the GS Hybrid at $63,000. That might influence the sales figures.

It'd be interesting to see how the GS/ES replacement is going to be priced. 

The only issue with your comment is that the GS300h isn't sold in the USA, so itd be priced higher anyway due to the 450h setup.

10 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

this is a rendering of the new ES that is supposed to replace the current GS. It will be the new global mid size sedan with 2.5 4 cyl hybrid or turbo to choose.

Thats a pretty close rendering - Ive seen the official pics recently.

Lets just say that the front is pretty much bang on, especially the lower vents in the boomerang shape. Upper portion of the grill is less wide than the one in the render and the lower portion is a lot wider than it looks in the render too. 

Bonnet is a lt more curved - from the render it looks like an LS front end and bonnet but the ES will have a curved bonnet resulting in a smaller grill in terms of height.

The rear is almost identical. Render doesn't have enough of a spindle shape in the render, the rear lights are a bit too straight.

Also, Im pretty sure the shoulder line went through the door handles and lined it all up. From the render it looks like it goes through the rear handle but not the front which from memory doesn't look the same as the pics Ive seen.

Oh and they missed out the panoramic sunroof in the render :P

'tis a fine looking car. Pity wont be RWD (assuming this does replace the GS which feels pretty likely) but such is the way things are going. Presumably UK wont get the turbo...

Definitely looks more evolutionary rather than revolutionary, which is a bit disappointing with the name change.

Having said that I like it because I like the current one, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. Looking forward to seeing the interior though.

I'm a bit confused about ES. I've seen a good number of video reviews from American folk on their version of the is300h that is the es300h.

As for the demise of the GS in our country sometime soon it doesn't bother me. Before I got my is300h I did want the GS. I test drove one and loved it. However the boot for such this sized car is short of pathetic. Plus the car had to seat my daughter her 12yr old son and baby daughter  (in a baby seat). 

I test seated both cars and they stated catagorically the IS was more comfy than the GS. I was shocked so bought the IS.

As for lexus being niche. I bought lexus because I wanted hybrid and self charging is best. I'm not posh either. I'm a truck driving real ale  heavy metal loving 55yr old middle class fella. 

The GS is a fab car but I see far more IS and LS cars on the road. Maybe the demise is due to sales. I don't know but I do hope it's replacement is a better car with a decent boot.

I'm a bit confused about ES. I've seen a good number of video reviews from American folk on their version of the is300h that is the es300h.
As for the demise of the GS in our country sometime soon it doesn't bother me. Before I got my is300h I did want the GS. I test drove one and loved it. However the boot for such this sized car is short of pathetic. Plus the car had to seat my daughter her 12yr old son and baby daughter  (in a baby seat). 
I test seated both cars and they stated catagorically the IS was more comfy than the GS. I was shocked so bought the IS.
As for lexus being niche. I bought lexus because I wanted hybrid and self charging is best. I'm not posh either. I'm a truck driving real ale  heavy metal loving 55yr old middle class fella. 
The GS is a fab car but I see far more IS and LS cars on the road. Maybe the demise is due to sales. I don't know but I do hope it's replacement is a better car with a decent boot.

The non hybrid boots in GS are plenty big enough. Let’s hope non hybrid ES’s come as well.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1