Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

7 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

I wish they'd stop calling the damn thing 'whisper quiet' just because it hasn't got a diesel death-rattler up front. Before buying my GS, I read so many reviews saying things like 'silent' or 'church like' that my expectations were inflated to such a point that I've been perpetually disappointed with the level of road noise that's actually present. 

I'm sure the Premier ES will be fitted with stupid big wheels and fat tyres, with no option of selecting small wheels instead. I remember the CT Premier used to have an option of 15" wheels (not sure if it still does). Why can't they do that across the range? A GS/ES on 16s might look like a shopping trolley but I bet it would be revelatory in terms of comfort and road roar.

54 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Actually, quite interesting - so they potentially going to keep GS alive in some markets and only the Europe going to be fed with inferiour class model.

Rumour is that total production will stop next year.

6 hours ago, Jamesf1 said:

Phew!

What shall we argue about next?:w00t:

The Reliant Robin has numerous advantages to an accord, weight, grip, balance, feel. A three wheel lay out could be the preferred option for a luxury sedan? 

25 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

The Reliant Robin has numerous advantages to an accord, weight, grip, balance, feel. A three wheel lay out could be the preferred option for a luxury sedan? 

Ridiculous argument, the Messerschmitt KR200 would run rings round the Robin, one wheel should be at the back, not the front! 

:wink3:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

Ridiculous argument, the Messerschmitt KR200 would run rings round the Robin, one wheel should be at the back, not the front! 

I’m afraid you are both buffoons.

front wheel drive and corners like it’s on rails

C1795469-8962-4392-8CF4-461868EEFD4D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gdh300 said:

Depends on which wheels are driven!

I believe the robin is rwd and the meßurSchmitt is fwd. At least neither can be 4wd!

4 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Depends on which wheels are driven!

I believe the robin is rwd and the meßurSchmitt is fwd. At least neither can be 4wd!

Technically you can call it AWD.. 

3 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

I wish they'd stop calling the damn thing 'whisper quiet' just because it hasn't got a diesel death-rattler up front. Before buying my GS, I read so many reviews saying things like 'silent' or 'church like' that my expectations were inflated to such a point that I've been perpetually disappointed with the level of road noise that's actually present. 

I'm sure the Premier ES will be fitted with stupid big wheels and fat tyres, with no option of selecting small wheels instead. I remember the CT Premier used to have an option of 15" wheels (not sure if it still does). Why can't they do that across the range? A GS/ES on 16s might look like a shopping trolley but I bet it would be revelatory in terms of comfort and road roar.

Absolutely agree about the downsides of the trend to fit bigger wheels with lower profile tyres, not least at a time when the UK's roads are in the worst condition for decades.  For those who prioritize ride comfort and low noise over aesthetics and track-day handling I hope Lexus will offer the no-cost option of smaller wheels on the new ES.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

A GS/ES on 16s might look like a shopping trolley but I bet it would be revelatory in terms of comfort and road roar.

My understanding is that 16" won't clear front calipers, so at very least 17" but even then quite specifically designed to clear everything.

But looking into those massive wheel wells, I don't see why they can't fit say 18" with high profile tires. I am sure they would fit something like 35/R20, so 55/R18 should not be a problem either.

Its official - Lexus Europe has announced they are discontinuing the GS

They also mentioned that the ES has more leg room than an LS (how is that possible?!) and that value will be one of its main goals. 

17 minutes ago, rayaans said:

They also mentioned that the ES has more leg room than an LS (how is that possible?!) 

An advantage of front wheel drive and transverse engine mounting, reduces the front end length so you can extend the cabin and boot.

54 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Its official - Lexus Europe has announced they are discontinuing the GS

They also mentioned that the ES has more leg room than an LS (how is that possible?!) and that value will be one of its main goals. 

Just click on the link of my previous post it will show the interior with the presentor sitting in the back. It is very impressive indeed. But fwd and longer than a 5 series creates room aplenty

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not really a fan of wood in modern cars - seems a bit incongruous these days to me - but I love the bamboo trim being offered in this new ES. Quite a handsome car all round.

Interesting to watch one US video the reporter said Lexus had put an embargo on describing the drive, apparently they want all the journalists to drive it first so we should start seeing 'driving impression' videos in a week or so. 

2 hours ago, gdh300 said:

I'm not really a fan of wood in modern cars - seems a bit incongruous these days to me - but I love the bamboo trim being offered in this new ES. Quite a handsome car all round.

Interesting to watch one US video the reporter said Lexus had put an embargo on describing the drive, apparently they want all the journalists to drive it first so we should start seeing 'driving impression' videos in a week or so. 

Yep its quite a common thing actually. Don't really know why because it probably doesnt matter but I guess it may be to do with some reviewers just copying what others have said

27 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Yep its quite a common thing actually. Don't really know why because it probably doesnt matter but I guess it may be to do with some reviewers just copying what others have said

Surely you can't be questioning the integrity of the motoring press, can you? 😉 

1 hour ago, gdh300 said:

Surely you can't be questioning the integrity of the motoring press, can you? 😉 

LJK Setright died a while ago, unfortunately.

It`s not just the Motoring Press which lacks credence and integrity today it is Journalism in general in my view. 

Something else that has sprung to mind - 

The new ES300h drivetrain is estimated to have 44mpg combined in the US. The RX450h in the US has a combined mpg of 30.

Now if we convert to UK mpg, that is about 52mpg for the ES and 36mpg for the RX. However, we all know that our system of working out claimed MPG is rubbish. 

So essentially the conversion factor for the RX450h is about 1.5 between US and UK claimed MPG figures (with both being converted to UK MPG first)

By that logic, is one of the ES300h trim's going to have a claimed 78 MPG?!!

On 6/4/2018 at 7:33 PM, rayaans said:

Something else that has sprung to mind - 

The new ES300h drivetrain is estimated to have 44mpg combined in the US. The RX450h in the US has a combined mpg of 30.

Now if we convert to UK mpg, that is about 52mpg for the ES and 36mpg for the RX. However, we all know that our system of working out claimed MPG is rubbish. 

So essentially the conversion factor for the RX450h is about 1.5 between US and UK claimed MPG figures (with both being converted to UK MPG first)

By that logic, is one of the ES300h trim's going to have a claimed 78 MPG?!!

I saw in one video - again a US one - that the 2.5 ICE is "all new". Is this genuinely "all new", or do they mean "all new" to the US market, i.e. the 2AR-FSE we have had in Europe for ages in the IS300h and GS300h?

1 hour ago, gdh300 said:

I saw in one video - again a US one - that the 2.5 ICE is "all new". Is this genuinely "all new", or do they mean "all new" to the US market, i.e. the 2AR-FSE we have had in Europe for ages in the IS300h and GS300h?

All new, well for Lexus anyway as it is already being used in the Toyota Camry but it isn't the 2AR-FSE, it is the A25A-FXS engine.

http://www.wardsauto.com/2018-10-best-engines/2018-winner-toyota-camry-25l-4-cylsingle-motor-hybrid

https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain/engine

An advantage of front wheel drive and transverse engine mounting, reduces the front end length so you can extend the cabin and boot.

That is the big advantage but there are cons

1. Handling and drivability - less natural balance in the car. More mass upfront and more forward as the gearbox is beside the engine not behind it (Audi A4 and A6 being an odd exception)
2. Maybe not a Lexus/Toyota issue but transverse engines can mean a smaller gearbox housing which will mean a poorer and potentially less reliable transmission. A friend who works in ZF is always on about it. Again though with CVTs/hybrid it might be less of an issue as a CVT is a very simple transmission. It’s probably an ideal car to choose hybrid drive.
3. Style. Transverse mounting usually puts the front wheel closer to the A post then that big overhang you see. It’ll have the proportions of a cheap car.

I wouldn’t be thrilled to hand over £40k for something that hasn’t got a north south engine but I might if the rest of the car was decent - this or a petrol S90 Volvo

Personally I think there’s room in the range for the ES and GS. The GS would move a bit more upmarket, sold with non hybrid variety’s (GS350, GS460 and the F) and let the ES plug the fleet market whilst the GS plugs the affluent owner market. There’s room for both.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Google  MotomanTV - Lexus and you will find an interesting tech review of the new car.

i still have to get used to it, dont know... long overhangs theres a bit of citroen DS in the front from an angle all very slippery. to me it looks long and narrow maybe i need to see it in the flesh.  

• Like 1