Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 250 SE-L bought and a couple of questions.

Got my new to me IS 250 SE-l MM Auto yesterday and very impressed with the car. Spent an hour or so last night playing around with the multi media system, playing a DVD etc, came this morning to start it and just get a buzzing of the starter solenoid. Obviously I must have flattened the Battery. So the question is, if I'm parked up how long can one play around with the DVD without the engine running before I get to the flat Battery stage ?

Also, the drivers side illuminated sill doesn't light. The passenger side does though. Is this just possibly a bulb or something and how does the actual plate come off ?

Apart from these issues, really chuffed with the car, pre facelift on an 09 plate with Lexus approved warranty,57000 miles.

You probably shouldn't spend more than 30 mins. without the engine running - Lead acid batteries don't like being heavily discharged so you just weaken the Battery by doing so. In theory you should be able to get a few hours before you flatten the Battery so your one either wasn't fully charged or isn't as strong as it once was.

The Battery should probably be able to cope with what you were doing, but maybe its a bit low on charge at present due to the car sitting on a forecourt for a while?

The illuminated sill plates just snap into place. Just grab it near the end with the inside edge and it should pop off with a bit of force. Failing that, you could try a prying tool between the body and the flat part of the plate. If using a screwdriver, tape it up first to avoid scratches.

• Like 1

Generally, the music and lights are good probably up-to an hour, just music alone, not very loud - you can get 2 hours, maybe more. I got Bosch Battery so it is slight upgrade from OE Panasonic so I might be able to do little bit more. 

However, there is one thing which kills your Battery instantly if engine is off - heated seats! Make sure they are off, because 15 mins of seat heating and you will be walking home on foot! 

I would have thought that the drive home from the dealers of 125 miles would have charges the Battery sufficiently  but as has been said, maybe it's getting on a bit. i will wait a while and see. Would the Battery and the sill light come under the warranty?

Yes the sill light should be under warranty. The Battery would probably need to fail a load test before that is considered faulty and from what you have said it will probably pass. See how the Battery holds up overnight when you haven't been using the vehicle without the engine running.

The DVD and sound system will drain a iffy Battery quite quickly, is your Battery still the factory fitted Black top Panasonic, because if it is it is coming upto about 10 years and this is about the mean failure time!

couple of recent threads have covered the replacement Battery topic.

paul m.

Not sure if it's a Panasonic but it a clearish/white case with a black top with a yellow sticker and a Lexus care sticker with a phone number to ring for my nearest dealer if i'm feeling a little flat LOL!

3 hours ago, Texas said:

Like this? My Original fit that lasted 10 years and 6 months!

and before anyone says it Yes those caps are loose!

image.jpeg

Yes, just like that one but because it's in the holder I couldn't see the Panasonic logo. If I read the approved used warranty right, it should be guaranteed for the first 3 months.

13 hours ago, bernieeccles said:

I would have thought that the drive home from the dealers of 125 miles would have charges the battery sufficiently  but as has been said, maybe it's getting on a bit. i will wait a while and see. Would the battery and the sill light come under the warranty?

I think the sill lights are linked to the internal lights. Check the switch settings. The Battery may be classed as a consumable items that's reached the end of its service life. Worth asking though 

Sill light fixed! I thought I would pull the non working sill plate off to have a look underneath and voila! the connector, for whatever reason was not connected. Just pushed it back together and it now works fine.

Just the Battery to sort out now. The approved used Lexus warranty does state that wear and tear items including the Battery are covered for the first 3 months of the 12 so I can't see why they would not replace it.

• Like 1

I had loads of grief with my Battery, Car was 3 years old when purchased but had been sat for almost a year prior to that. It let me down a number of times (having been left by myself for 10 days without use) and once when pulled in with the radio on for 10 mins. The Battery passed the tests done by the AA and Lexus, eventually after the third time it let me down I demanded a new Battery from Lexus, they did some form of extended test and said it failed - new Battery was provided free of charge.

39 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

Sill light fixed! I thought I would pull the non working sill plate off to have a look underneath and voila! the connector, for whatever reason was not connected. Just pushed it back together and it now works fine.

Just the battery to sort out now. The approved used Lexus warranty does state that wear and tear items including the battery are covered for the first 3 months of the 12 so I can't see why they would not replace it.

Seems odd that the connection to the light would come off ... Possibly it is linked to a running down Battery if the sill light is continually on for some reason and the previous owner has disconnected it (if car is new to you that is) ... its worth a check just for peace of mind and also to save a Battery purchase

I have a 2008 SE-L with MM. Did the same thing, watched a DVD for 30 mins and voila, car wouldn't start!

I am pretty sure though that the cars have a cut off point in charge levels under which it will not turn the starter motor.

Frustrating as ALL of my electrics worked, but the car wouldn't turn over.

Got a jump start and charged it overnight....then 3 weeks later wouldn't start again.

Original 2008 Battery done 60k so replaced it it's been fine since.

I had approached the Lexus dealer who sold me the car and after another experiment last night playing around with the MM system for 20 minutes or so which LED to the car not starting and chattering on the solenoid, they have agreed to reimburse the cost of a new Battery.

I was under the impression that the car was an approved used car and the warranty for that states that wear and tear items had a 3 month warranty, however my car has the lesser 5 year + extended warranty which is not the same. Lesson learnt !

So, new Battery to be fitted by a different Lexus dealer on Friday but another bonus is that having a look underneath at the exhaust system reveals that the back section with the two silencers is almost new.

Going back to the MM system causing the Battery to go flat, you would think that with all the clever electronics on the car, when the Battery is discharged to a certain level, either the car would switch it off or warn the user that to continue would mean the car would not start.