Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alternative tyre sizes

Hi, I’d like to put all season tyres on my IS F Sport. Snow traction was very poor. I’d like to buy Continental AllSeasonContact however they only do 225/40/r18 for the front not the 255/35/r18 for the rear though.

Could I fit any alternative size to the 255 ie

245/40 R18?

Probably a stupid question but worth asking....

17 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

Hi, I’d like to put all season tyres on my IS F Sport. Snow traction was very poor. I’d like to buy Continental AllSeasonContact however they only do 225/40/r18 for the front not the 255/35/r18 for the rear though.

Could I fit any alternative size to the 255 ie

245/40 R18?

Probably a stupid question but worth asking....

The rear wheel size is 8.5J

Therefore you can put a minimum tyre of 225 and a max of 255. You should be fine with 245 as that is towards the upper end anyway

245/40 r18 would be perfect, just be aware that there may be more sidewall visible but apart from that, won't cause any issues

Please do let us know how it goes as I will probably need to change the tyres later in the year and would probably go down this route as well.

Edit - could try 235/40 r18 as well but I would expect a bit more stretch in the tyre.

Thank you!

They do a 245/40 so I’ll be going for that on the rear.

it will be October before I change (current tyres have enough tread until then). Will update once it’s done though.

20 hours ago, Ben1001 said:

Thank you!

They do a 245/40 so I’ll be going for that on the rear.

it will be October before I change (current tyres have enough tread until then). Will update once it’s done though.

Yes I took a quick look on Tyreleader to see what was available.

Yes, please let us know as I will probably do the same - unfortunately probably in about 1.5 years though as I still have loads of tread left. Original Bridgestones are like the Terminator

I was looking for Crossclimates for my premier. They only do 235/45 or 245/45 for the rear. Would this work? I'm guessing 245/45 would be a taller tire.

2 hours ago, TBi said:

I was looking for Crossclimates for my premier. They only do 235/45 or 245/45 for the rear. Would this work? I'm guessing 245/45 would be a taller tire.

235/45 and 245/45 are both SUV tyres. The sidewall is massive.

245/40 will be fine but sidewall will be slightly larger

Will give a similiar look like this but maybe slightly better due to less sidewall on rear

Fronts are 225/40 and rears are 255/40. 

2012-Lexus-IS-350-F-Sport-side-630x419.j

I have 245/40's on the rear of my car.

Unfortunately, CrossClimates aren't available in this size or anything else close enough to consider running on the rear of an IS with 18" wheels. As Rayaan says, the 45-series options would be huge - over an inch bigger in circumference

225/40r18 all-round is probably the only option for that particular tyre. They would look pretty stretched on the 8.5" rear wheel though.

Apparently more 18" & 19" sizes are being introduced this year (CrossClimate Plus) so the situation may change.

45 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

I have 245/40's on the rear of my car.

Unfortunately, CrossClimates aren't available in this size or anything else close enough to consider running on the rear of an IS with 18" wheels. As Rayaan says, the 45-series options would be huge - over an inch bigger in circumference

225/40r18 all-round is probably the only option for that particular tyre. They would look pretty stretched on the 8.5" rear wheel though.

Apparently more 18" & 19" sizes are being introduced this year (CrossClimate Plus) so the situation may change.

Yep hopefully there'll be some good options in the future - however, have to say that this combination of sizes has been around since 2011 - on mercs and BMWs so I can't see why its taking them so long to come up with all season tyres for this combo. 

This is a pic of 245/40 r18 on 8.5J

026788657.jpg

Does have some stretch but not drastic I dont think