Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Was getting a little tired of not being able to do stream music over Bluetooth. So started to look at options. I used a wired GROM solution many years ago when I had a 2RX so had a look at their offerings.

Initially tempted with the USB only option but in the end went with their Bluetooth only one:

https://gromaudio.co.uk/toyota-lexus-bluetooth-integration-kit.html

The UK seller isn't a million miles from me so decided to pick it up Friday afternoon and installed it this morning. Just followed the various Youtube vids and all thankfully went smoothly. Pairing was done simply and was up and running in no time.

The unit does come with a MIC if you want to use it for calls but I wanted to keep the OE solution for that so didn't bother connecting it.

Only bad point for me is that it doesn't show the track info in the car. Apart from that I'm really very happy with it :yes:

I wish the screen mirror kits that you can get in the US were more common here.

Can you still use the factory BT for calls when using the GROM kit for audio streaming ?

You can indeed use the factory BT for calls. The unit sets up another BT 'channel' for the music. You actually see the 'headset' icon appear the Iphone display. This i've been told is not totally correct for true streaming but it certainly works for me. The music then comes via the 'CD Changer' route in the menu display (double press on the Disc button) so the in-built changer remains unaffected.

GROM by the way do a screen mirror type thing too. It's called the V Line and i'm sure another member on here installed it on their IS or RX??

There's several options for Bluetooth streaming. Both of which I have used.

Firstly a simple Bluetooth receiving unit plugged into the AUX port in the centre console that pairs with your phone or secondly a Bluetooth FM transmitter. Into 12v socket and transmits to a vacant frequency as a preset in the FM. Both tidy options needing zero surgery just the 12v accessory socket.

Presently using the FM transmitter as auto-pairs better than the Bluetooth AUX did.

Neither cost more than £25

• 2 months later...

Not trying to be flippant or facetious here but a serious question - why spend money on something like this? Can you not just put your music on a USB flash drive and plug that in to the USB AUX socket to play your music?

And... even as I'm typing this I think I know the answer - your cars don't have a USB input do they? My 2005 RX300 was the same; it's only since we got this more recent car that we have this facility.

Sorry - ignore the numpty over here :wallbash:

My car didn't have aux or usb in so all I had was the cassette adapter option which was ok but still used a wire and didn't really flow with the rest of the car.

I'm so used to bt audio in my Ford transit work van and unlike my previous car E60 adding it was very easy and small change, simples job done!

im in the same boat, i don't want to spend too much nor do any surgery so what would be the best FM transmitters that you guys have used and works well as there are so many out there

10 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

I've never had much luck with FM transmitters. Add to that they usually look as foul as sin. The one I suggested ^^^ isn't an FM transmitter.

thanks thats right it looks like a clean set up only thing is i dont have 3.5 mm nor auxiliary in my GS450h mines  56 plate ( or do they)

I think we're at cross purposes.

The ION Bluetooth Cassette Adapter is not an FM transmitter of any sort nor does it need a 3.5mm/aux connection. It's basically a cassette shaped Bluetooth receiver. Pair it with your phone, insert it into the cassette deck (which all Lexus seem to have for some reason, though I heartily approve) and it will play eg Spotify through your car stereo using the cassette heads.

In my opinion it sounds just as good as any other BT streaming option. I'd prefer and AUX connection but I just can't be bothered right now.

• Thanks 1

For some reason I tried a Blue-tooth cassette but it wouldn't work in mine unlike my £1.30p wired cassette adaptor so I had to return it.

GROm unit is great as it stop/starts play when getting in & out of the vehicle even if you close your music app.

08 Onwards has the USB/AUX in the armrest afaik.