Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drive by wire?

I am confused, and apparently so are the suppliers of aftermarket cruise control systems that I've been talking to.  My 2006 RX-300 (harrier/import) seems to have a mechanical throttle.

Is that right?  Shouldn't it be drive by wire from around 2003 onwards?

IMG_5315.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

Definitely looks mechanical to me, that's the end of a throttle cable..

After digging through the parts EPC it seems the 2.4 is definitely mechanical, the 3.0 looks to have an electronic throttle.  

Diagram of the 2A throttle:  http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=521120&cartype=6&fig=7801 

Diagram of the 1M throttle:   http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=521120&cartype=1&fig=7801

The joys of imports eh?

• Like 1

Thanks, the company I was talking to said I should check where the cable goes to in the engine bay to see if it gets converted into something electronic that they recognise.  If so that would make the installation of a cruise control system simpler as it could modulate the throttle electronically rather than needing to clamp onto the cable.

I don't think it does, the other end hooks onto the throttle valve and operates the flap regulating the air into the engine.  It is rather mechanical.  My starlet operates the same way.

The ECU would get a signal from the throttle position sensor mounted on the flap but that's more of an after-effect, they couldn't use it to regulate anything.

I'm not clued up on cruise control systems but I wouldn't be overly fond of them messing about with the throttle cable.  

ha :P

I found a company that can install a cruise control system into it.  Basically there's a cruise actuator module in the engine bay with a cable that clamps onto the throttle cable and adjusts it accordingly in order to cruise.  I had a similar thing in my E39 but that was OEM.  It works well as a cruise system, the only disconcerting thing at first is that it makes the pedal move :)