Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid battery level

During the recent cold spell my 12v auxiliary Battery failed and I replaced it with a new one.

Before the change my Hybrid Energy Monitor screen displayed a Battery level of 7 eighths and showed level in green colour.

Now after Battery change and driving approx 70 miles the level only shows 6 eighths and is in blue colour.

My questions are what energy level should a nearly 8 year old reach and is the ecu still 'learning' after Battery change.

Mpg was around 32 but is now 28. I have done a regenerationas described in a post some time ago, level did go to 7 eights and green but in the course of running has now settled on the lower blue level.

Anyone had similar or information on this?

Thanks in anticipation,

Vic

The level of charge shown on the bar display is perfectly normal at between 5 blue bars, and 6 green. This bar graph has little or nothing to do with the level of charge in the 12 volt Battery. The 12 volt Battery is charged via an inverter from the high voltage (hybrid) Battery, but under normal circumstance has little impact on the level of charge of the hybrid Battery.

The cold weather will have a substantial impact on your fuel consumption figures as the cold air is more dense than warm air. The car has to be pushed by the engine through that dense air using more fuel, and the engine has to run more to provide heat for the cabin.

John.

54 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The level of charge shown on the bar display is perfectly normal at between 5 blue bars, and 6 green. This bar graph has little or nothing to do with the level of charge in the 12 volt battery. The 12 volt battery is charged via an inverter from the high voltage (hybrid) battery, but under normal circumstance has little impact on the level of charge of the hybrid battery.

The cold weather will have a substantial impact on your fuel consumption figures as the cold air is more dense than warm air. The car has to be pushed by the engine through that dense air using more fuel, and the engine has to run more to provide heat for the cabin.

John.

Thanks for your reply.

It was the level of the bar graph that concerned me, its just not as full as before I changed Battery.

Wonder where the charge level is on similar aged Rx 400h, any other members check theirs at all?

Vic

The charge level will typically vary between 2 and 7 bars depending on how much opportunity the hybrid system has to use the Battery power. Unless you are lightly braking down a long hill you are unlikely to see it completely full. It doesn't matter if your vehicle is 8 days old or 8 years old - it will behave in the same way.

You could drive for 70 miles and only have two bars at the end, and another time 7 bars. The charge in the hybrid battery shouldn't be of any concern to you - the car manages this itself. When it gets low the petrol engine will recharge it. If it gets completely full then regenerative braking will turn off and the mechanical brakes will take on all the stopping.

• Like 1

I've seen the full 8 bars maybe a dozen times during last winter in my 2006. It seemed to happen after parking it overnight with 5 or 6 bars out of 8 then when driving it the next day it would reach 8 bars during its warmup stage (ICE always on) where it would also charge the Battery. During normal operation I'm mostly between 3 and 6 bars.

1 hour ago, BROUWERS said:

I've seen the full 8 bars maybe a dozen times during last winter in my 2006. It seemed to happen after parking it overnight with 5 or 6 bars out of 8 then when driving it the next day it would reach 8 bars during its warmup stage (ICE always on) where it would also charge the battery. During normal operation I'm mostly between 3 and 6 bars.

Yes that makes sense. If you start with a reasonable charge level and then have the heating on so the engine will continuously run the Battery will get to full charge. In the winter I tended to turn off the heating until I new the engine was warm from normal use and just used the seat heater for warmth.

The cars system manages the Battery level very well.

It should be pointed out that the bar graph indicates a level of charge for the Battery of between 40% charge at the lowest level "no bars at all" to 80% charged "all green bars". The system will not allow a lower or higher level of charge. At 2 bars and lower they turn pink.

The representation of the bars is also not linear. The higher level bars represent a greater % of charge per bar than the lower bars.

John.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vicmeldrew said:

I have done a regenerationas described in a post some time ago

Hi Vic,

Interested in this regeneration process.  I couldn't find a relevant thread : could you please elaborate?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links