Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Manual Headlight Adjustment MK IV

Hello guys.

I recently had to have the automatic headlight levelling sensor bracket thingy welded up as it had broken. Since it was done I am pretty sure my headlight beams are now pointing down more than they used to.

Is there any manual adjustment on the headlights to raise the light beam or do I have to get the bracket thingy re-welded in a different position?

Thanks.

Steve.

There is a manual adjustment, because I had same issue a few years back.  I bodged my link rather than welded.

However it was local garage that did the adjustment, so not sure where it is, but if someone else out there knows, would like to also know for future reference.

Thanks Steve.

After looking at the picture in your link I think I have located the adjusting screw.

In your picture it is shown at the top of the headlight but as mine are HIDs it seems to be at the bottom of the unit.

I will give it a go at the weekend when I have a bit more time and I can trial what I am doing in the dark.

I will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Steve.

Hello Guys.

This is just a quick update to let you know how I got on.

The adjusting screw is mounted towards the bottom of the light units between the two lenses.

You have to turn it anti-clockwise to raise the headlight beam and it works in tiny increments so be prepared for your arms to ache when you have finished.

It is a bit awkward to get to the screws as on one side the Battery is in the way (there is just enough room to work) and on the other side the air filter housing is in the way (I removed this to make life easier).

The end result is that now my headlights are back to where they should be.

I went out for a drive in the dark and no one flashed me so they don't seem to be dazzling oncoming traffic and I can see where I am going.

Thanks to Steve for the picture.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Wondering if @Redsteve is still on here?

After my suspension change, i think the front end is riding higher than before and have have mis-aligned the headlights as i was getting several flashes from oncoming cars a few nights ago.

Section 2 in the link below for HID lights, references a cog wheel A that needs to be released, prior to adjust the the Bolt A (and then replicating the adjustments using Bolt B)

Did you have to do this, as you've not mentioned this above?

The release for Cog Wheel A is a bit stiff on mine, so wanted to check before potentially breaking something.

http://lexus-doc(blocked word)/ileaf/lex98rm/98rmsour/1998/98ls400r/be/hatsy/adju.pdf

Also - based on Steve's details above, i made the adjustments to Bolt A before releasing the lock on Cog wheel A - so unclear now if this means i didn't actually achieve anything!

14 hours ago, cornershop said:

Wondering if @Redsteve is still on here?

After my suspension change, i think the front end is riding higher than before and have have mis-aligned the headlights as i was getting several flashes from oncoming cars a few nights ago.

Section 2 in the link below for HID lights, references a cog wheel A that needs to be released, prior to adjust the the Bolt A (and then replicating the adjustments using Bolt B)

Did you have to do this, as you've not mentioned this above?

The release for Cog Wheel A is a bit stiff on mine, so wanted to check before potentially breaking something.

http://lexus-doc(blocked word)/ileaf/lex98rm/98rmsour/1998/98ls400r/be/hatsy/adju.pdf

Also - based on Steve's details above, i made the adjustments to Bolt A before releasing the lock on Cog wheel A - so unclear now if this means i didn't actually achieve anything!

I didn't touch any cogs at all.

All I did was bring my wheelie bin round to the front of the car, mark where the brightest part of the beam was positioned and then adjusted the bolt to raise the beam about an inch higher than my mark.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve

I'm getting my 'cogwheels' and 'adjusting bolts A/B' mixed up - the above link references cogwheels in Section 2 for adjusting HID vertical alignment, however they don't exist on my 98 car.

I adjusted Bolt A clockwise (which was pretty stiff), which lowered the beam, and following the above link, did the same for Bolt B (same number of turns as used on bolt A)

I think i'm there as oncoming traffic no longer flash me, however when i get the MOT done next month, i'll ask them to check the headlights before they do the test