Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ghetto key repair

My key was falling apart so I bought one of the 2-button casings from eBay with the intention of getting it cut.  My local auto locksmith seemed to have trouble cutting it, he said he "couldn't take a reading" from the working key and his efforts resulted in a key that looked similar but didn't turn in the lock, and had some sharp edges.

I got home and then realised that I could just use the back from the eBay key with the original key.  It took a bit of effort - judicious use of wire cutters and a file to get rid of a plastic wedge that was getting in the way and a bit of duct tape at the end to hold it together but it's basically fixed now for the cost of a £3 casing.

IMG_5334.jpg

This guy on eBay will supply an empty key case (so that you can put your own electronics into it) and will also cut the key blade to the key code if you have it or to a photo of your existing key, all for under £15 including delivery. A lot of the blanks on eBay are made from very 'hard' metal and can damage key cutting machinery, which is why a lot of shops won't cut one, or as you've found out, even if they manage to cut it, it doesn't really work well.