Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying Advice re RX400h 2007

Hi All,

Going to see one tomorrow for my parents. It's an SE-L spec so has all the toys.

Anything I should be looking for apart from the usual bits as any car?

Cheers

Check the rear light clusters for any water ingress, there is a seal on the back of the unit that can start to come away from the light unit and may need gluing back on - water potentially could get into the boot too because of this.

Check the brake callipers - the sliding pins will seize over time. This happens more on the rear and results in the rear disc corroding as brakes aren't applied. This is worse on the hybrid vehicles as the mechanical brakes aren't used as much because of the regenerative braking.

Check the underside. The rust proofing doesn't age well and may need to be re-undersealed to stop corrosion.

Other than the usualy checks you would/should do on a car your viewing some RX specific things would be..
Timing belt should of been done, timing belt and water pump as a minimum. Ideally full kit should be replaced including idlers and tensioner. Common for original radiators to start cracking on the plastic join, you can check the front of the radiator with the bonnet open. Check the coolant is full, if its low it will be either the radiator as mentioned or the water pump which is hard to check if you don't know where to look.
If it has a sunroof, there is potential for the drains to block causing issues to arise months later. Only way to check that is to open sunroof and poor water down the sides of the sunroof to make sure it clears (I just use a 1l water bottle and poor half down both sides)
The boot struts tend to fail at that age and wont hold themselves up when opened manually.
Check the brake discs braking surfaces are clean metal, any uneven rust on the surface is a good indication the brakes have an issue.

1 hour ago, Arqum said:

Thanks Colin. RE the clusters, is it easy to see the seals coming away without removing the lights?

No they have to be removed. Just look for water inside the lights at the bottom and check inside the boot for wetness.

Thanks for all the advice. Saw the RX today and yes left light cluster had a slight misting of condensation and the rear footwell wet. Walked away.

Keep looking! And try for an SE-L to get more toys. I looked for ages, gave up, bought something else, didn’t cure my wanting an RX, so bought one last week (2008 face lift). All the advice really sound. Mine has a failed AFS (flashing warning light on dash) but it’s an easy fix and not a deal breaker as it only turns and self levels the headlights which wasn’t a problem for me. No leak issues. I booked a comprehensive engineers report thru Click Mechanic as the car was 200 miles away and mechanically it was excellent, minor scuffs which I’ll get fixed. I’d allow for getting the wheels refurbished as they will be in a poor state - seems Lexus can’t make rust proof alloys! Have to say I’m still smiling a week later and have 33mpg average so far so I’m very happy (more mpg in summer as less heater which needs the engine). Good history is essential.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

This was an SE-L so had all the toys but it was abused. When you see metal washers and screws holding engine bay covers down you really need to walk away. I will keep looking.