Recommended Posts

Hi again,

I was wondering how many people fit a tracker to their NX and if so did you go to Lexus or a 3rd party?

One solution I am considering is one of those mini gps/GPRS/VHF trackers that I can hide in the car and power from the boot power socket.  By the way does anyone know if the boot power socket is permanently powered or only when the engine is on?

 

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Take a look at the Metatrak VTS tracker. Knocks spots of the others on the market.

Or the Ghost watch is a good system too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many NX have been stolen? Doubt it's that many. Peace of mind I suppose but I'm not entirely sure it's worth it. Guess there might be an insurance premium discount for a fitted tracker mind? Only time I got close to having to have a tracker installed was when I had a 2003 BMW X5 4.4i V8. Most companies were mandating it but I found a few that weren't at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

I am not sure its to do with how many NXs get stolen, its more to do with where I park and what are the risks of it being stolen.  I have known of RXs and CTs being stolen as well as other makes.  My local area suffers from spates of car thefts and I am thinking and researching trackers.  

To be fair to my local Lexus dealer, they have quoted me a price on par to companies advertised on the internet (for a Tracker Locate).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

Hi

I am not sure its to do with how many NXs get stolen, its more to do with where I park and what are the risks of it being stolen.  I have known of RXs and CTs being stolen as well as other makes.  My local area suffers from spates of car thefts and I am thinking and researching trackers.  

To be fair to my local Lexus dealer, they have quoted me a price on par to companies advertised on the internet (for a Tracker Locate).

If you're getting a tracker, get a properly fitted one, not the ones you just plug into the sockets.

The guys who will steal the NX, if any, will be professionals and will know how to block the signal or remove it if not fitted properly in an unexpected area.

TBH you're better off getting the Ghost Immobiliser so they can't start the car in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, if you do a job then do it properly.

The Tracker Locate is a Thatcham Cat 6 tracker with GPS/GPRS.VHF signals and anti jamming.

They claim the signals can penetrate underground parking and metal containers and when the tracker is activated it alerts near by police cars and helicopters.

I've not heard of the Ghost but that may be an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been reading up on the Ghost, it looks pretty impressive and a good price too.

Wondering if my local dealer will fit it or if I get a 3rd party to, will it invalidate my warranty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

Just been reading up on the Ghost, it looks pretty impressive and a good price too.

Wondering if my local dealer will fit it or if I get a 3rd party to, will it invalidate my warranty 

They have to be an approved fitter. But a 3rd party wouldn't invalidate your warranty, not unless a fault developed that was directly related to the install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Sybaris said:

I agree, if you do a job then do it properly.

The Tracker Locate is a Thatcham Cat 6 tracker with GPS/GPRS.VHF signals and anti jamming.

They claim the signals can penetrate underground parking and metal containers and when the tracker is activated it alerts near by police cars and helicopters.

I've not heard of the Ghost but that may be an idea.

Issue with the trackers is that they expect them so usually know where to look. Or they just park it up for a few days to see if its being tracked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously thinking the Ghost may be the better option.

I don't like the idea that a tracked and recovered car will show up on an HPI check and seriously devalue the car when you want to part ex it at the next dealership.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 3:10 PM, rayaans said:

Issue with the trackers is that they expect them so usually know where to look. Or they just park it up for a few days to see if its being tracked.

Yep, read this too. It doesn't necessarily stop a theft but it does increase chances of getting it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes but would you want it back, knowing the issues that follow?  Your premium will still go up and there will be more problems selling it, not to mention any repairs.

But lets say that you did want to recover the vehicle, what's wrong if the thief parks up and waits.  If it is being tracked, they won't hang around.

Also you can have the tracker put under the car.  Are they really going to crawl under when they want to move it and sell it on?

Thats why I am thinking about the Ghost, it stops them from taking it in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just keep your car in a bullet proof steel cage and never move it outside of that steel box. That should remove all the risk for you. Or stop worrying about what might happen to your car and just enjoy it of course. The risks of an NX being stolen are way way lower than say a top end BMW or Merc or supercar. I wouldn't have thought the risk warrants the expense and peace of mind in the first place because the risk is so low in the first place. How may cars have you personally had stolen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how easy it is to locate the CAN bus cables?

If I go for the Ghost, I don't want them ripping the guts out the car to get to the cable.

I do enjoy my car and for £399 I get the peace of mind that my car will be where I left it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Does anyone know how easy it is to locate the CAN bus cables?

If I go for the Ghost, I don't want them ripping the guts out the car to get to the cable.

I do enjoy my car and for £399 I get the peace of mind that my car will be where I left it. 

I would of thought the can bus cable connection point would be quite easy to access as i understand it they connect the laptop to these connection points to run diagnostic problem solving

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can access CAN H/L at the EOBD port but if it is for tracker fitment, you will need to go to combination meter or passenger front footwell junction block for CAN access. Fitting a tracker anywhere near an EOBD port would be a very easy thing to spot and deactivate/remove.
This is why the tracker companies usually take a few hours because they remove dash, center console or rear seats to hide wiring and unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.