Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sticking brake pads or calipers.

I know that this topic has come up before, but I can't find more about it.

What causes the brake pads to stick, on the IS 300h ? Mine is a 2013 Gen III, possibly the beginning of the Gen IIi's, it was registered July 2013, and it seems to have started having the brakes stick if I leave it for a week or more. This is a very recent development I have to say.

When I start to drive, as soon as I move, the rear brakes let go with a very noticeable "bang", and I would really like to get this sorted while the car is still under warranty from the Lexus dealer.

Parkman.

It is typically moisture at this time of year helping the pads corrode to the disks as they contain metal particles in the friction material. If the rotors have heavy corrosion on them then it will be worse. It will also be worse if you wash your car and then don't move it for a period of time.

• Like 1

Mine did that from new, at the time I didn't use the car midweek at all, and it happened pretty much every Friday, much worse when exposed to driving rain.  Now i use it everyday it hasn't done it once.  I asked the dealer and they said there wasn't any fault with the brakes.  I assume it is the auto brake function then a bit corrosion causing the brake to stick.

• Like 1

My theory is that ceramic brakes would sort it. I've yet to put them on to prove that.

Dry summer weather and it's no problem. Any rain though and I have that issue.

My mechanic suggested not using the handbrake and rely on Park only. I don't like this however. My own research indicated using P could be putting too much strain on the parking pawl.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matt8 said:

My mechanic suggested not using the handbrake and rely on Park only. I don't like this however. My own research indicated using P could be putting too much strain on the parking pawl.

and I don't think it is the shoes that are sticking, it is the pads.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

and I don't think it is the shoes that are sticking, it is the pads.

I agree, I failed to state I felt it was unrelated.

Definitely the pads.

Are the pads you mention ceramics?

Can one use ceramic pads with metal discs? I'm assuming you can also buy ceramic discs.

Not sure what Greenstuff are made from, I think Kevlar, but they are quite soft and therefore kind to the discs, but with quicker wear than OEM and possibly more dust.

Redstuff are Kevlar with ceramic particles, they are fine with standard discs and supposedly reduce disc wear by half compared to OEM pads.

It seems they sell both for the IS300h, but reds are probably recommended due to the weight of the vehicle (Green is more for hatchbacks).

Here is their online shop - select pads as it will default to complete disc/pad kits.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/lexus/is300h/2.5-hybrid-2013-/29626#prettyPhoto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good advice from everyone.

I will look at the red stuff brake pads. I know it isn't the brake shoes as I never really use the handbrake except when stopped for a while in traffic or road works etc. I have always relied on the "Park" position of the gear stick, even with large  4 wheel drives.

It might sound strange but I try to protect the hand brake operation so that it works 100% when the car goes for the annual test, and that means using the "Park" option. Just as long as one doesn't stick the vehicle into "Park" while the one is still moving !! That can have a rather strange result !!

Parkman.

Some people never use the parking brake, it seizes up and causes a MOT fail. If you don't engage it while the vehicle is moving the shoes will never wear out, the only potential issue is stretching or failing cables but that is extremely rare so it is always worth using it periodically just to keep it operating correctly.

1 hour ago, parkman said:

Good advice from everyone.

I will look at the red stuff brake pads. I know it isn't the brake shoes as I never really use the handbrake except when stopped for a while in traffic or road works etc. I have always relied on the "Park" position of the gear stick, even with large  4 wheel drives.

It might sound strange but I try to protect the hand brake operation so that it works 100% when the car goes for the annual test, and that means using the "Park" option. Just as long as one doesn't stick the vehicle into "Park" while the one is still moving !! That can have a rather strange result !!

Parkman.

Yep as mentioned, nothing wrong with the brakes as such, they're just catching on because of moisture.

Parking in a garage doesn't solve this issue. It used to happen on my 3RX. 

Keep the parking brake off after washing in colder weather.

You'll find its not much of an issue during the summer.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links