Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had four new tyres fitted today and tracking adjusted  Initial impressions on todays wet and cold roads are very positive. Firstly the only negative is lack of rim protection. 

Now the positives. Firstly the car now feels more planted and the ride is much softer than the OE Dunlops. This is especially noticeable when negotiating speed humps. They are also much quieter. 

The grip in the wet seems also to be much improved. 

So initial impressions are very positive. 

• Like 2

Quick update Now driven  150 miles on the new tyres. Considering it consisted of cold and wet roads plus snow covered roads yesterday and today I am well impressed. Traction under all conditions is really good. On the Dunlops it was very easy to bring the traction control on. This no longer appears to be the case. The tyres are extremely quiet and all signs should of harshness on rough surfaces has dissipated. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting Les, how are you getting on? I had similar traction issues with Dunlops on my IS and was similarly pleased when I switched it to Avons.

On my new-to-me-non-Lexus are noisy Prestivo (I hadn't heard of them either, apparently a mid-range brand from Yokohama) and Michelin Pilot 3; as soon as they get down to 3mm I will be swapping all four for something quieter. My first thought was CrossClimate but the Primacy 4 might be a better option. Down here, snow is only a problem two or three days a year and I'd rather stay off the road away from the idiots in that case! If the Primacy can handle a bit of cold like my Avons did they might be ideal.

2 hours ago, gdh300 said:

That's interesting Les, how are you getting on? I had similar traction issues with Dunlops on my IS and was similarly pleased when I switched it to Avons.

On my new-to-me-non-Lexus are noisy Prestivo (I hadn't heard of them either, apparently a mid-range brand from Yokohama) and Michelin Pilot 3; as soon as they get down to 3mm I will be swapping all four for something quieter. My first thought was CrossClimate but the Primacy 4 might be a better option. Down here, snow is only a problem two or three days a year and I'd rather stay off the road away from the idiots in that case! If the Primacy can handle a bit of cold like my Avons did they might be ideal.

I've now covered around 1500miles of mixed weather driving and I am extremely happy with these tyres. The grip is phenomenal compared to the Dunlops and the car feels really planted on the road. I have tried giving it the beans in the damp when pulling away which on the Dunlops would have provoked the rear end to 'step out' and the traction control to cut in. So far I have been unable to provoke such a reaction on the Michelin tyres. So my view is to give them a try. 

• 4 weeks later...

Swapped out the budget tyres my car came with for a new set of Pirelli P Zero Nero GT's 245/40R18 97Y ride is so much better now was way to firm before & handling is much better too.

On my 2006 IS 220D it has goodyear efficient grip and they seem an ok tyre. If I turn off the traction control and boot it I go nowhere which is to be expected when I tried it!

I have goodyear ultragrip winter tyres on my 1996 RWD Volvo 940 petrol turbo automatic and they are fantastic in snow and transform the vehicle. Whereas with the Summer Michelin energy savers with 6mm of tread absolutely hopeless in any snow up a slight incline.

The Michelins are my tyre of choice and seem to wear very well. In 9 years on a 240 on my 3rd set and 70,000miles. Still have around 4mm left. 

James:smile:

I've now covered over 30,00 miles on the Michelins and am still exceedingly happy with them. Today driving in a monsoon on the M5 I realised just how good they are on a wet road compared to my previous Dunlops.

Any thoughts on fuel economy with the Primacy 4s? I believe they're EU B-rated for economy which is about as good as it gets for the GS tyre size. However, those ratings bear little relationship to reality, so I'd be interested to hear whether you've experienced any significant change now that you've clocked up a few miles.

On 03/05/2018 at 7:13 PM, Ten Ninety said:

Any thoughts on fuel economy with the Primacy 4s? I believe they're EU B-rated for economy which is about as good as it gets for the GS tyre size. However, those ratings bear little relationship to reality, so I'd be interested to hear whether you've experienced any significant change now that you've clocked up a few miles.

Can't see a lot of difference in fuel economy as slight seasonal improvement I believe caused by warmer weather. Ride, grip and noise however is definitely much better. 

• Thanks 1