Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

13 hours ago, cornershop said:

7677FE32-3B95-4645-94A9-DD8DC0B101F9.jpeg

The Chart can't be right unless its up to October 1994 and not RD5979.  

My ride is going to be firmer with a longer spring and more tension on the damper.  I'll leave them until after our next tip and then decide if replace.  I'd buy Moogs from Rock as importing will not be too expensive. I think Moog are German?  The 5979 have a flattened out base but I can't remember if the top is also flattened out? Not as Suplex style.

(The rubber Gaitors are Mini Steering Rack Gaiters I asked my mechanic to modify to fit.  Cost less than a Tenner.)

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

I've read Moog could be anything - German, Chinese, Turkish, Canadian....and varying levels of quality.

Paul (toyotatech) believes the current strut mounts will be reusable, will see on removal.

I'm finding lots of parts are becoming NLA - Sachs/Boge's catalog for our cars is now non-existent, KYB similar in terms of availability (at least here in the UK), so Lexus may be the only source shortly.

If that's the case it will be the death knell for these older cars.  Worth keeping an eye on the Bay as I've picked up a few OEM items at bargain prices in the past. Also I've bought parts from the USA and Australia so I doubt it will be a problem.  Then there's ToyoDIY.com to check out.

BC Racing make coilovers for UCF10 and UCF20s. They are good guys to speak with can can do custom spring rates which could match the LS400 rates. Set at the exact factory ride height all suspension geometry would be preserved. 

8 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

BC Racing make coilovers for UCF10 and UCF20s. They are good guys to speak with can can do custom spring rates which could match the LS400 rates. Set at the exact factory ride height all suspension geometry would be preserved. 

Hi Phil - i tried BC already - they said even their softest spring would not be as comfortable as standard, so i've backed off that route.

I may investigate further, but i have all but KYB rear shocks sat in storage at present.  I guess new KYB shocks will feel stiffer than 107k standard shocks, so that may not be a valid consideration.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cornershop said:

they said even their softest spring would not be as comfortable as standard

Have you ever had a quote from Lexus as to the prices? might be worth trying as their rear brake pad prices were quite good, just maybe worth finding out. 

2 hours ago, dendonc said:

Have you ever had a quote from Lexus as to the prices? might be worth trying as their rear brake pad prices were quite good, just maybe worth finding out. 

I did and posted earlier in the thread - over 2k for shocks, springs, strut mounts, spring pads. 

• Like 2

Thanks Shiresh, on the one hand thats pricey, but, looked at from another angle, it's not so much when taking into account the longevity angle of all the pieces, do I take it thats that price for 4 the wheels?

On 24/03/2018 at 8:42 AM, ste42 said:

Missed this Steve, and thanks.

i can’t see these being any better/different than the Kilen springs I have. I doubt blue print would make their own springs, so are probably rebranded items.

• Like 1

I had to cancel the amazon order due to their inaccurate stock system - they weren’t actually in stock when I hit buy, even though it said they were.

ive now ordered (I hope) the same rear kyb shocks from eBay at a similar price.

Car was dropped off with Paul on Saturday, he’s looking to make a start on the front whilst we await the rear shocks.  I’ve asked him to have a good look at all suspension components and advise/replace as necessary. 

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. 

I was surprised to see BC won't do low spring rates for the LS400 (I know they advertise a few combinations online but I was LED to believe they could do almost any spring rate). The person I spoke to said that could do the rates quite low but you would not be able to lower the car by much unless they we're re-valved, which didn't concern me. I was speaking to a BC rep in the US, so the local BC suppliert may be different.

edit: here's the link that reflects what the BC rep said. I would push BC a little more on this. https://bcracingcoilovers.com/pages/faqs

Checked on Amayama and springs are coming to about $130 a piece. Imagine the freight charge.

I have these guys just down the road from me that manufacture all sorts of springs. Wonder if they could whip up copies of the LS400 springs. https://www.europeansprings.com/ Just sent them a message.

8 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

I have these guys just down the road from me that manufacture all sorts of springs. Wonder if they could whip up copies of the LS400 springs. https://www.europeansprings.com/ Just sent them a message.

that would be brilliant to know  :yes: 

Malc

Pic of one of the removed front springs - I thought it was only the rears that we’re broken!

Rest of the suspension components apparently showing no signs of  unwanted movement, so will be retained.

Ive extended the job to include fluid changes so have requested engine oil/filter, PAS and gearbox fluid drain and refill.

0F93AF23-78D8-4323-9BDB-166501E1F0B9.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2018 at 7:31 AM, cornershop said:

I had to cancel the Amazon order due to their inaccurate stock system - they weren’t actually in stock when I hit buy, even though it said they were.

ive now ordered (I hope) the same rear kyb shocks from eBay at a similar price.

Car was dropped off with Paul on Saturday, he’s looking to make a start on the front whilst we await the rear shocks.  I’ve asked him to have a good look at all suspension components and advise/replace as necessary. 

I’m cursed ....

The feckwits at the next supplier of rear shocks sent me the wrong items, and apparently can’t send me the correct shocks until I return the ones I’ve received.

I’ll go through the refund process but have decided to order through rockauto who are cheaper and estimate delivery on Friday.

Will brexit make US orders more expensive, as I’m bored of shyte service from UK companies.

Usual story with ordering from a British business: lack of attention to or obfuscation of detail and ignoring specificities, poor ordering systems, poor customer service . The lack of attention to detail outside of technical circles I suppose reflects the snobbishness that made polytechnics want to become universities, as if aspiring to the Oxbridge bastions of liberal arts education represented the ne plus ultra of higher education, with technical, manual and vocational training somehow a lesser matter. Poor customer service comes from an entrenched class system where people are very aware of their position in any exchange, whether that be business or personal (I learned long ago that it helps to make British salespeople feel better about themselves otherwise it's hard getting what you want.) Order from abroad for peace of mind.

Brexit will reinforce parochial tendencies.

• Like 1

New rear shocks arrived today - great service from RockAuto - arrived in 4 days, without customs delay as Fedex calculate this upfront and add to the bill.

Been a while since I added something Made in Japan to a car 

83433883-F31B-4083-B015-81C587117364.jpeg

04DB17E2-C0A5-4643-9253-6F08A91B0878.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dendonc said:

So are they the same as original lexus? goodluck with them anyway

I’ve read genuine Lexus items are made by KYB, but I think they’ll have softer valving.

The aftermarket KYBs are a notch firmer, so I’ve read.

Attention has turned to the front brakes which had a slight shimmy on application.

New genuine Lexus discs going on with Mintex pads.  Paul’s attention to detail means the hubs get a decent rub down first.  I’ve been impressed with Paul’s attitude and thoroughness and will definitely use him again.

C679A5C9-ED2E-4C97-8E93-5BA8EBDC971A.jpeg

On 03/04/2018 at 11:46 PM, cornershop said:

I’m cursed ....

The feckwits at the next supplier of rear shocks sent me the wrong items, and apparently can’t send me the correct shocks until I return the ones I’ve received.

I’ll go through the refund process but have decided to order through rockauto who are cheaper and estimate delivery on Friday.

Would you believe Royal Mail have lost the items to be returned, so the vendor won’t process the refund.

Ebay/PayPal case opened.