Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cracked Manifold

I know. It's even in the terms that they will not pay for initial diagnostics. Only if there is an issue it will be covered. Also I can't take to another place other than lexus.

On 1/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, Arqum said:

I know. It's even in the terms that they will not pay for initial diagnostics. Only if there is an issue it will be covered. Also I can't take to another place other than lexus.

Do keep us posted on your outcome, the more info the better for all of us in the same boat, much appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...

So car back and running perfectly now. It was not the manifolds as I inspected them at the dealership when they were taken off. The gaskets were the issue on mine. A new set and boom no ticking on cold start at all now. 

10 hours ago, Arqum said:

Yeah where it meets. They have put it through and waiting for the warranty company to advise, but more than likely will be accepted. 

Great news, what dealership was this done at out of interest?

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, G10RRE said:

Great news, what dealership was this done at out of interest?

Mine can also be added to this list now. I heard the ticking noise and asked my mechanic to investigate. He found it when cold. It's very hard to spot when the engine gets up to temperature. 

It's currently in with the dealer I purchased it from and waiting to see what they say. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Irish ISF said:

Mine can also be added to this list now. I heard the ticking noise and asked my mechanic to investigate. He found it when cold. It's very hard to spot when the engine gets up to temperature. 

It's currently in with the dealer I purchased it from and waiting to see what they say. 

Yeah, once it’s warm it disappears mostly, however still faintly heard when driving under load. 

I have managed to snap a pic of the RH manifold and can see black soot round the flange area where it cracks off inside.

At least that’s what it looks like to me, will need to get the technicians to have another look next time I’m booked in.

what dealership are you at? 

9233AD68-C323-425C-9E16-ECCFF2A53556.jpeg

Im at Lexus M50 North which is in Dublin. They didn't call me today which I found unusual. Maybe they are crying over the cost of it! €930 for each manifold and there is no point doing only one when the labour is so expensive on it.

27 minutes ago, Irish ISF said:

Im at Lexus M50 North which is in Dublin. They didn't call me today which I found unusual. Maybe they are crying over the cost of it! €930 for each manifold and there is no point doing only one when the labour is so expensive on it.

I’d be amazed if they replace both if a warranty claim, @Arqum was told they’d only pay for cracked/faulty part, all parts have to be sent back to Lexus for inspection.......maybe worth u asking and if need be paying for the part whilst it’s all apart, hope all works out well for u 

• 1 month later...

Quick update on my situation, dealership was amazing, saw my photo of soot round cylinder 8 flange which gave some indication of a potential crack, however, needed to strip it down to confirm (at my cost of no crack found) l.

I have an extended warranty so if it was indeed cracked all costs would be covered. Upon inspection it was confirmed it was cracked, and proceeded to get warranty involved. 

my service advisor was great, they initially declined it due to light corrosion in the joint where it connects to Mid pipe, But that wasn’t where the fault was, so they accepted the crack as the fault (which it was) and Honoured replacement. 

managed to get both manifolds Replaced as the Dealership Argued that it one side Has cracked the other may well crack soon, and whilst it’s stripped, would be daft not to do it, so that was accepted.

Few days later, all replaced, and sounding great again on cold starts. Ticking gone!

Can’t thank Shaun at Lexus Edinburgh enough for his negotiations with warranty company.

quick video attached with before and after.

So glad I took the warranty @ 2 years for 1, certainly saved me £3700! Phew 😅 

Video below ... Ignore my commentary haha 

• Like 2