Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cracked Manifold

Guys,

Was bored yesterday so did a little reading on the club Lexus forum and I hadn't previously heard of a common issue ISFs are having over there.  They seem to be cracking exhaust manifolds left right and centre.  

It's not an issue for me at present but as my car is an 09 with 70k I think that is something I need to be aware of.

Anyone got this is issue?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/818488-crack-in-exhaust-manifold.html

Marcus

4 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Anything to do with valves exhaust systems? Ratty was saying only the other day that he would never go valvled for his reason

This is on an OEM setup, doesn't seem to be any link between whether you have an aftermarket system or not.  Consensus seems to be that its a design flaw that may also have been transferred to the RCF/GSF.

17 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

This is on an OEM setup, doesn't seem to be any link between whether you have an aftermarket system or not.  Consensus seems to be that its a design flaw that may also have been transferred to the RCF/GSF.

Never heard of it over here.

i would like to think the warranty would cover that!!?

9 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Never heard of it over here.

i would like to think the warranty would cover that!!?

Yea, cars under warranty are getting them replaced.  

I just thought I'd ask as I hadn't heard of it being an issue but seems to be over in the US.  

Slight ticking on startup that goes away once warmed up could be something that happens to lots of people but they just don't notice

3 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Yea, cars under warranty are getting them replaced.  

I just thought I'd ask as I hadn't heard of it being an issue but seems to be over in the US.  

Slight ticking on startup that goes away once warmed up could be something that happens to lots of people but they just don't notice

Not heard of it over here.

had a good listen to mine for the ticking before I bought it.

if mine went I think It would give me the push to fit after market as the stock manifolds are not the best design.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattmech said:

Not heard of it over here.

had a good listen to mine for the ticking before I bought it.

if mine went I think It would give me the push to fit after market as the stock manifolds are not the best design.

I agree, if I need to change mine I'll be getting aftermarket.  

• Like 1

Doesn't look good.

The UK cars use exactly the same part so in theory this should be an issue here. Could be another good argument to use high octane fuel, more of it is burnt within the cylinder which can lead to lower exhaust temperatures.

The RC F looks to have a similar manifold design, although the exhaust connection is higher bore to be less restrictive - this again could lead to lower temperatures at the manifold to prevent this issue occurring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Doesn't look good.

The UK cars use exactly the same part so in theory this should be an issue here. Could be another good argument to use high octane fuel, more of it is burnt within the cylinder which can lead to lower exhaust temperatures.

The RC F looks to have a similar manifold design, although the exhaust connection is higher bore to be less restrictive - this again could lead to lower temperatures at the manifold to prevent this issue occurring.

I think it will be the repeat cycling of temperatures at the weak point that will be causing stress fracturing and cracking.  It's the same flange that goes every time, would be interesting to monitor EGTs on each primary to see if there is a trend.

Traditionally, stainless (304/316) is quite fragile when suddenly cooled or heated. In a nuclear reactor we would warm up from 15c to 300ish over the period of 4hrs to ensure no embrittlment would occur. 

I hope the new stainless manifolds will last in the long run also

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Is climate / ambient temperature a factor in all this?

I can't imagine it would make a massive difference.  Particularly cold mornings here would of anything cause more issues than in the US.  

The other cause of all this could be vibrations but then id expect to see issues over here too, not just isolated to the US.

We may have issues in the UK but as the number of cars in the UK is so low, it might not be quite so apparent.

Until someone in here confirms they have had this fault then we are just speculating.  I may be worrying people over nothing!!lol

Marcus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jgtcracer said:

I can't imagine it would make a massive difference.  Particularly cold mornings here would of anything cause more issues than in the US.  

The other cause of all this could be vibrations but then id expect to see issues over here too, not just isolated to the US.

We may have issues in the UK but as the number of cars in the UK is so low, it might not be quite so apparent.

Until someone in here confirms they have had this fault then we are just speculating.  I may be worrying people over nothing!!lol

Marcus

Most people on here are more worried about England’s performance in the rugby this year 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Age can be a huge factor. As time goes by you may start to see a spate of similar failures in due to the properties of the material and welding etc.

10 years operation in the environment of an exhaust header is hard work.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

[mention=56229]Flytvr[/mention] Yes I see the supporters are in somewhat in a hurry to leave at the end as well.........
IMG_0748.JPG.423a8526235a892da403a85c021355d0.JPG
Big Rat
If I'd worn that I might have been warmer!!

48 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Age can be a huge factor. As time goes by you may start to see a spate of similar failures in due to the properties of the material and welding etc.

10 years operation in the environment of an exhaust header is hard work.

@ComedianAbsolutely an engine bay is a very hostile environment and any external component is going to start showing its age no matter the quality.......... bit like me really over 45 years of being outside in muddy holes or up high..... sooner or later bits start to fail...😳

Big Rat

• Like 1

Hi,

I have just noticed this ticking noise over the past few weeks on start up of my 2008 IS F(59K miles), the noise goes away almost immediately after the revs have settled back down about 12 seconds following start up (or else the ticking is quieter and I am not hearing it inside car?) Appears to come from drivers side near bulkhead going by level of noise.

I am just about to go in for a minor service / airbag recall and will ask them to confirm the ticking noise issue, I thought it may be HP fuel pump issue but a bit concerning now if it could be exhaust manifold related. Hope the warranty may cover this but being exhaust related it might not? Will update the forum if I get a definite fault identified when it gets serviced at start of April. The gar otherwise runs great only other fault I get is PCS system errors intermittantly which are a bit of a pain - I will get them to check the front sensor functions correctly. :wallbash:

1 hour ago, Oscar (The Grouch) said:

Hi,

I have just noticed this ticking noise over the past few weeks on start up of my 2008 IS F(59K miles), the noise goes away almost immediately after the revs have settled back down about 12 seconds following start up (or else the ticking is quieter and I am not hearing it inside car?) Appears to come from drivers side near bulkhead going by level of noise.

I am just about to go in for a minor service / airbag recall and will ask them to confirm the ticking noise issue, I thought it may be HP fuel pump issue but a bit concerning now if it could be exhaust manifold related. Hope the warranty may cover this but being exhaust related it might not? Will update the forum if I get a definite fault identified when it gets serviced at start of April. The gar otherwise runs great only other fault I get is PCS system errors intermittantly which are a bit of a pain - I will get them to check the front sensor functions correctly. :wallbash:

I think they all do that 😀

Never heard this noise before and have had the car for nearly a year now and its been running great (apart from the PCS system errors occasionally) Will monitor it over the next few weeks, seemed to start in really cold spell there. Car now booked in at Lexus Glasgow on 02/04 so will see what mechanics come up with - maybe its normal - hope so.

• Like 1

My IS250 se-l had a ticking noise, went in for investigation and turned out to be the injectors pumping fuel, my F has always had the same tick from start up, was given a full bill of clean health when last at Lexus Woodford, I assumed it was the fuel injectors, has been the same for the three years of my ownership, can’t be the manifold as Lexus would have tried to get me to replace it for a cost.......of course 🙄.......must be a noticeable difference with engine note, my old accord had a cracked manifold branch and that was MASSIVELY noticeable 😂🤣👍

• Like 2

My isF ticked........ it usually started as I walked......towards her.... keys in hand.....with ‘that look’ on her face......meaning......,

Not today Please I’ve got a headache...........:yes:

Big Rat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 19/03/2018 at 11:09 AM, Oscar (The Grouch) said:

Hi,

Mine does this but after a lot and I mean a lot of research and getting it checked over (I'm very meticulous about fault finding I give myself headaches with it ☺)it seems it's a common noise hopefully it's the same for you too it is a very light ticking on mine mind, there is quite a few videos on YouTube showing the same noise.

• Like 3