Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To buy or not to buy 2017 CT 200h Sport Plus

MilkFloat67

Hi there!

Completely new to Lexus and not a big car buff in general. Planning to get a 2017 Ct 200h Sport Plus as there seems to be a good deal at the local dealership. The chap we are dealing with mentioned that they have discontinued this particular model, so first of all I wondered why as he couldn't tell me and secondly if anyone is able to tell me if there is much difference between the model before this and the 2018 model? Is there a particular model I should go with for any particular reason?

Took it for a test drive and was fairly happy with it. I got home and did a bit of research and found reviews from the standard car reviewers weren't that great, but reviews from actual owners seemed happy with their choice. I'm not really sure what to make of this divide other than the standard car reviewers were pitting it against a petrol 1 series and an a3 which from the offset seems off.

I have tried to look online for pics of the cars interior and exterior by including the years in the search but I'm getting a confused selection of cars -maybe even US/ Spanish variants. In fact I can't even find a picture of the one in the dealership. It is white with a black (horizontal bar) grill, wheels and mirrors different to what is coming up on google search -CTs with a mesh grill. If anyone is happy to upload pics of their cars and provide any other useful info (good/bad) that would be great and very much appreciated.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, MilkFloat67 said:

Hi there!

Completely new to Lexus and not a big car buff in general. Planning to get a 2017 Ct 200h Sport Plus as there seems to be a good deal at the local dealership. The chap we are dealing with mentioned that they have discontinued this particular model, so first of all I wondered why as he couldn't tell me and secondly if anyone is able to tell me if there is much difference between the model before this and the 2018 model? Is there a particular model I should go with for any particular reason?

Took it for a test drive and was fairly happy with it. I got home and did a bit of research and found reviews from the standard car reviewers weren't that great, but reviews from actual owners seemed happy with their choice. I'm not really sure what to make of this divide other than the standard car reviewers were pitting it against a petrol 1 series and an a3 which from the offset seems off.

I have tried to look online for pics of the cars interior and exterior by including the years in the search but I'm getting a confused selection of cars -maybe even US/ Spanish variants. In fact I can't even find a picture of the one in the dealership. It is white with a black (horizontal bar) grill, wheels and mirrors different to what is coming up on google search -CTs with a mesh grill. If anyone is happy to upload pics of their cars and provide any other useful info (good/bad) that would be great and very much appreciated.

Thanks!

The CT Sport Plus was a run-out model only available in 2017. Its been discontinued because of the facelift in 2018.

The differences between the pre-facelift and facelift models is dependent on trim levels, but essentially, they've changed the bumpers and grills and the specification levels. All facelift CT's come with a mesh grill. Only F-Sport variants of the pre-facelift ones have the mesh grill. 

As the trim levels go up, you get more kit as standard. Some of the trim levels overlap. Essentially, Premier is top spec, S is lowest spec and Luxury mid range. F-Sport is similiar to Luxury but focused on sportiness. Sport, Sport Plus, Advance and Advance Plus are all somewhere in the middle 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MilkFloat67 said:

Thanks for the info rayaans. Would you recommend a ct 200h?

Depends on what you're after in a vehicle to be honest.

Will it reliable? Absolutely. 

Will it be efficient? More than likely.

Will it be fun to drive? Possibly, but depends on how you intend to use it. Its got perfect waft-ability so if you take it easy and drive smoothly, it will reward you. If you gun it all the time, it'll disappoint. 

The main issue I have with the CT is the ride quality. If you're happy with the CT ride quality, then you can't go wrong 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MilkFloat67 said:

Thank you ColinBarber! Looks like the update was focused on add ons rather than performance enhancements. 

All CTs have the same performance. The F-Sports have a modified suspension that makes them handle slightly better but that's it.

• Like 1

Hi rayaans! Definitely looking at reliability to be high on the list. I’ve no time for any trouble, so this is reassuring.

Re efficiency - I very much like the idea of that using less petrol and saving the planet! We are probably a long way off that realistically, but it’s appealing to be able to switch to a more environmentally friendly alternative where possible. I just wondered how much this would live up to that.

Also I would like a fun drive, but I am no expert on this and the test drive was relatively short, didn’t get to play around with the different modes really. Fun to me in the past has been bumbling along on a Toyota iq and zipping out (sometimes), staying on all fours around corners and round abouts on a TT. 

The car will be used for getting around town during the week, heading to the hills in good weather for dog walks and occasionally going from the north to London every 4-6months.

What mode do people use on the motorway on these things? I’ve only ever had manual petrol before.

As long as you are happy with the test drive I’d say go for it. The CT 200h was the most reliable car in the latest car magazine surveys. 

Performance wise the road holding is great, even on a twist B road, but what makes that great can be a ride in town that some people find too firm. Personally I’m a fan of a finer ride than sacrificing cornering. The hybrid system is surprising pokey when you floor it but definitely not fast. Quick enough however and a 2017 model shouldn’t have the cvt drone as much as pre 2014 cars. 

I’ve  found motorway performance to be really good. Comfortable in long runs and nearly as god economy as a similar capacity diesel (hybrid works best at city speeds). I stick to normal mode for motorways and slip into eco when in town or traffic jams. Sport is reserved for when I’m planning a quick overtake as it makes the electric assistance kick in at full force without being full throttle.

Im assuming you don’t have a big dog as the boot isn’t all that big given the Battery under the back of it and the rear seats. 

• Like 1

Thank you colin79666! Fab tips re which mode suits certain situations as I haven't a clue! I probably would've just selected a mode for the entirety of ownership lol.

Also good to know it has a bit of poke in it. I wouldn't be using it as a race car, but assuring to know i can put my foot down and go on occasion.

As for the dog, well he is quite big and was worried about the boot at first, but he will have use of the entire boot (seats down with a liner) and will be for short journeys only.

Thanks again. All very encouraging!

I would of said exactly as Colin said. It’s a great comfortable economical experience. Mines a 2011 with 84K and it still drives like new and zero problems other than servicing. Rarely use ECO mode but always Normal mode for everything incl motorway which it’s very happy at. As Colin said Sport mode is great for the quick getaway. It’s like driving 2 different cars. Handling is very go kart like with hardly any body roll on corners. Yes mines quite a “firm” ride as is most pre 2014 CT,s are but it’s not off putting to me as I’ve had a lot worse especially with 17” wheels.
The boot is shallow and not very big but I rarely use it to it’s full capacity. Totally happy with mine. You’ll enjoy the experience I’m sure. Effortless quality.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you stormchaser. I like the sound of it being go kart like! I really appreciate all the comments re its firm ride. This is obviously something noticeable to a lot of owners, at least that way i can manage my expectations in that respect better. I haven't had much experience driving lots of different cars and I think in my limited experience that is the ride I am used to since I feel every bump and sinkhole on the roads. Sure, a smoother ride would be great, but I guess we can't have it all as they say!

Going to the dealership again this week and having read all the feedback on this post and scanning through some old posts I haven't been put off. I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for all the comments.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...