Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lost key code

Auto locksmiths apparently can't make transponder keys for my car because it's an import so I asked Lexus for a quote - they said £224.72 but the key would come blank because they can't cut it. I called back and asked how I would cut the key if I didn't have one to copy and they said I'd have to get an auto locksmith to dismantle the lock to make the key.

I have two keys right now so this isn't a major problem, but is it odd that they can't cut the key for me for a car they made?  I asked if they could give me the key code but they didn't seem to have a clue, and gave me a premium 0906 technical support number to call and said they might be able to help.

Is this unusual?

Curiouser and curiouser - just tried Lexus Battersea and they said they can't get keys for imported cars at all!  Why would two main dealers give a different answer?

Well the first one certainly isn't unusual. If you lose all keys to a lock then yes, a locksmith could dismantle it but it may work out cheaper to just get a new lock, complete with keys, when you take into account labour charges.

As for the '0906 Tech Support number' I don't know, it may be legit. I mean, if you ring a dealer, whose responsibility is it to know about key codes? The mechanics/technicians will only know about repair and/or exchange so it could be an admin responsibility but doubt they would be able to give info on older imported cars. The service book for the car (the one you get stamped) should have the key code written in - the one I had for the RX300 and the one I've got for the 450h have it in there.

No idea why two main dealers would give conflicting info, other than they just don't know the answer but don't want to admit it, or who to go to to find out the answer.

A complete guess here but it may well be that they can't get keys for imports because a) they just don't have the contacts or admin channels to get them, or b) maybe the Japanese transponders work on a different frequency that may be illegal here in the UK so they aren't allowed to bring them in. Like I said, just guessing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links