Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Number plate recommendation

Firstly, can anyone recommend an online site which will supply a number plate which fits neatly into the rear tailgate resess?  One which goes down anguarly to fit the resess?

Secondly, I am considering getting a cheap plate to hide the age of my car

At rock bottom prices the choices i'm considering so far are:

Northern Ireland three letters then three numbers ( xxx 123 ) - it will be completely random as nothing available fits me

I could get "V8 xxx" - however none of the three letter combinations match my initials or anything else, however the benefit here is using just one number, which maybe worth more in the future

I could get "V800 xxx" - with my initials

I could get "V80 xxx" with my initials

I got a NI Plate for £25.

I thought it was too good to be true, but thought I am gambling £25, not £200+

To be sure I called them and asked why they were priced so low. The explanation was they get them in bulk from NI, and sell them just to cover their costs and it attracts people to their web site.

I ordered one, and a few days later received a call from them.  They apologised and said their was a typo, and the last digit of the plate I had chosen was a '5' and not a '6', did I still want to proceed?  I said yes.

The process took a little longer than I had hoped and after ten days or so I contacted them.  From that point onwards I got regular emails giving me updates, and too be fair the delay did appear to be at the DVLA.

If you Google the company they have had CCJs against them, and a bit of a mixed reputation.  I went with them as the amount I was gambling was small.  The paperwork came through after about two to three weeks from the DVLA , and all was fine.

The company I used was was www.R4V.co.uk and they appear to currently have NI registrations from £29

I am not giving them an endorsement, but it worked for me.  I would suggest you call them first and make sure they have what you need, and talk about the turnaround time.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I bought mine on fleabay, up for £100 and accepted £85.00, seller then realised there was a fee for transfer to nominee and asked me to donate £10.00 towards it which I was happy to do.

Paperwork arrived but seller forgot to sign it but soon returned and sorted, went up to the DVLA office at Nottingham (when they existed!) and got it changed over within an hour, had the plates made up presenting the authorisation form and job done.

• Like 1

Bit disconcerting is the fact that the R4V site states that my reg is available for £499 when I beg to differ!

paul m.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rear number plate on an LS430: 

What's your thoughts on the cut?  The rear space is quite large and has a contour too it.  This place (below) can make them to fit if you send them a template.. - what's your thoughts?  Anyone know what shape rear plates the LS430 originally came with?

https://www.fancyplates.com/main/constructors/information/contour_cut_plates.aspx

I just bought a pair of plates from our local Lexus dealer as I prefer having Lexus at the bottom of the plate than some unknown firm...

It was £18 for the pair and they didn't want to see any paperwork, they are good quality and are made of aluminium not plastic...

We were waiting at Medway Services for a recovery vehicle to take us back to Essex after Alternator failure and a guy comes up to me and says (very politely) "your number plate is worth more than the Car".  I bought it from DVLA for £499 eight or more years ago and its not the first time someone with Isle of Wight connections has remarked on the number plate. DL being Isle of Wight early lettering. Not too sure how much this makes the Car worth. More than £499 maybe! . Looked somewhat sad on the Recovery breakdown low loader. Only the second time its been on one in my ownership, the first being when I took a punt on buying it without going to see it, from up in the Midlands. Had it brought to me on a Trailer.  Do I regret it?  Not really, but it has occupied a lot of my thinking time over the past four years and I've replaced many parts. New Alternator and P/S pump to be put on by me today.  Another new experience I won't want to do again.

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

We were waiting at Medway Services for a recovery vehicle to take us back to Essex after Alternator failure and a guy comes up to me and says (very politely) "your number plate is worth more than the Car".  I bought it from DVLA for £499 eight or more years ago and its not the first time someone with Isle of Wight connections has remarked on the number plate. DL being Isle of Wight early lettering. Not too sure how much this makes the Car worth. More than £499 maybe! . Looked somewhat sad on the Recovery breakdown low loader. Only the second time its been on one in my ownership, the first being when I took a punt on buying it without going to see it, from up in the Midlands. Had it brought to me on a Trailer.  Do I regret it?  Not really, but it has occupied a lot of my thinking time over the past four years and I've replaced many parts. New Alternator and P/S pump to be put on by me today.  Another new experience I won't want to do again.

Sorry to hear that Stuart. Hope all goes well with the fixing.

Now in  Andalucia, will copy you with email of my uneventful but enjoyable journey in the W210 Merc.

• Like 1

I've got some old French plates I took off my 2CV van, in 1979..........still in my garage......

John-where abouts are you? I lived near Ronda for 6 months in '93. Have driven there in both a Jeep Cherokee and a Citroen CX 2500.

• 2 years later...
On 4/13/2018 at 6:37 PM, Haylands said:

I just bought a pair of plates from our local Lexus dealer as I prefer having Lexus at the bottom of the plate than some unknown firm...

It was £18 for the pair and they didn't want to see any paperwork, they are good quality and are made of aluminium not plastic...

plates made of aluminium? interesting... 

Thanks for the anecdote though, I'll ring up my local Lexus dealer too

• Thanks 1

maybe try the website ....... SHOWPLATES ............. I replaced the front one on my Lexus and the rear on the Honda Legend through these guys

excellent service AND there's all sorts of sizing options too

I haven't yet replaced the rear one on my Ls400 though

Malc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 6:24 AM, Spacewagon52 said:

I need to replace the rear one on my LS 400 but I obviously want the non-standard shape that fills the space.

I bought a pair from Lexus Coventry, the rear one was the tall variant, at 125mm tall

• Thanks 1

That rear recess for the number plate on the LS430 is not flat, so not sure how you can fit anything much bigger than a standard number plate.
The best you will manage will be like the red line in the attached image.

Lexus rear plate.jpg