Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Greasing slider pins,,,,how often?

33 minutes ago, Vlady said:

This and warped front discs. Toyota Camry, especially with 3.5 motor also suffers this.

That is a US model isn't it? My Camrys were 3-litre and never needed anything but routine work on the brakes because a very diligent independent man did all the maintenance. I so wish he had not retired! However eventually the second one had to go because the brake pipes had corroded front to back, what a waste! Ferociously thirsty however.

14 hours ago, MartinH said:

That is a US model isn't it? My Camrys were 3-litre and never needed anything but routine work on the brakes because a very diligent independent man did all the maintenance. I so wish he had not retired! However eventually the second one had to go because the brake pipes had corroded front to back, what a waste! Ferociously thirsty however.

Martin, this is in Russia, I like to watch youtube videos and Russia and Eastern Block (UK doesn't have that many videos on used cars, like 10-15/20 years old) do have good stuff now on youtube, Camry is very popular there, and all youtubers say the brake discs are prone to warping. 

Saying that, I am still on BMW forum and they have these issues as well, not sure it is due to the way the car is driven or just week disc material. I think Lexus is using to a great material and they easily overheat or whatever.

Curiously, my first Camry, a 1991 XV10, condemned because the aircon could not be re-gassed with a modern refrigerant, was sold to a Russian guy who said it was going to Moscow. 'We don't need aircon over there," he told me, "and we've got lots of cheap petrol."

Just been on My Lexus. Both rear brake calipers were replaced on my car in June 2016 @ 58k miles. I looked at my calipers in autumn. The pins and sliders came away easily so I greased them up and put them back in. So definitely yes to checking them at least once a year depending on mileage done.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Just been on My Lexus. Both rear brake calipers were replaced on my car in June 2016 @ 58k miles. I looked at my calipers in autumn. The pins and sliders came away easily so I greased them up and put them back in. So definitely yes to checking them at least once a year depending on mileage done.

Why do you think the calipers were changed so early? You reckon the pins were seized?!

Could be wrong but I don't think dealers remove the pins and regrease. If they're seized they replace the whole caliper. Or that's what I recall from a conversation with Lexus Sheffield re: my RX.

• Like 2

Just now, rich1068 said:

Could be wrong but I don't think dealers remove the pins and regrease. If they're seized they replace the whole caliper. Or that's what I recall from a conversation with Lexus Sheffield re: my RX.

+1

My car and my wife's car - both when under warranty had sized callipers.

Lexus simply replaced them ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rich1068 said:

If they're seized they replace the whole caliper.

I think they replace the caliper itself along with the caliper carrier/bracket, from what I've seen it comes as one complete unit called 'Cylinder assy'. Normally the caliper carrier/bracket can be purchased separately but not in this case.