Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Service History...

Sanman

I purchased my IS200 SE from a Lexus Dealer in July last year. Now i am thinking about changing for a GS and was looking through the service book (i wish i had done this sooner). Both the 10k and 30k service stamps are missing as well as the vehicle details and suppliers stamp on the front page.

I purchased the car as an approved Lexus and as such expected a full and verified service history as that is one of the main criteria of it being an 'approved' Lexus. I have spoken to the dealer that i purchased the car from and they have told me they will try and trace it. My ultimate worry is that they can't find the details of the two missing services which then leaves me with a car that doesn't have a full service history.

Any ideas on what i should be asking my dealer to do?

Thanks,

Sandeep

someone had this issue also recently. Try doing a search, can't remember who it was now. Bad deal though, insist they track down what happened, you could try to track the previous owner and ask them - they won't care.

Plus, if they haven't been done, then ask for compensation or replacement car to similar standard and year for what you thought you were actually buying.

Cheers folks,

I have looked at Tony's thread on this and surprise surprise, we are talking about the very same dealer.

I'm not happy about the situation - I'll have to wait and see what the dealer comes back with i.e. finding the details of the non stamped services, or worse 2 missing services.

I'll keep you posted...

Thanks,

Sandeep

Hi all,

Yup......it was me. That it's the same dealer is just ridiculous, I think. I did get Lexus GB involved already. The dealer was not returning my calls, not responding back to me and so I had no choice. Once LGB got involved, the manager there (who, in fairness, only inherited this problem, it wasn't one that occured while under his leadership) has done well in helping me.

We have come to a solution, which involves me getting a different car, though I won't go into too much detail at the moment.

Essentially, I bought a car with a FSH (and book was to follow as they lost it), and after ONE YEAR of searching, they then tell me it's missing a service.

To get things moving I sent an e-mail to some important people in Lexus GB. I did of course spend a long time trying to go through the dealer - so I did give them a chance. Make sure you do that first - don't go e-mailing/writing to directors etc if you haven't given them a chance, because LGB won't like you very much!!

So, my suggestion:

Keep on at dealer, and give them a time frame from when you want a result. Say, maybe, end of next week. If they have no result on an approved service history by then, then you also want their proposal of resolution. They first offered me 2 free services. Don't take their first offer. This is a SERIOUS issue.

If they are not forthcoming, or helpful, then PM me and I'll tell you what I did to take it further.

Good luck!!

And remember, keep bugging the dealer!!!

Can't believe its the same dealer. This sort of thing is serious stuff, dealerships can loose franchises over this. Think of the bad publicity that Lexus could get over this, if it went to press etc.

It's quite amazing this.......

Not only did he have similar service problems, but ALSO similar problems of the quality of the car.

When I bought the car it had to go back a total of 4 times for problems NOT sorted, which should have been under the "Lexus Approved" scheme. Wheels weren't refurbed. Not tank of petrol. Only 10months tax, not 12. Tracking SEVERELY out. Radio had Error 3. In fact, my father went to see the car in Worcester (I live in Kent) when he was up there, and rejected it on my behalf which delayed delivery by a week, because the "stone chip filling" and such like were just NOT DONE.

Absolutely shocking.

*Edited to add, I realise the tank of petrol, tax etc. aren't required under lexus approved scheme, but they were all things they agreed to at time of sale, and even wrote on the invoice.

FYI, here is an extract of the inital letter I sent to Worcester having received the car (over a year ago)......

The alloy wheels were never refurbished (this is one reason I purchased from a main dealer).  All wheels are in “ok” condition, however, the front right has been VERY poorly treated and a reciprocating sander and silver spray paint have been used to try and touch up a kerb mark.

-The car arrived with barely any fuel (not the full tank as promised)

-The car arrived with dented right rear alloy wheel (from transportation)

-The CD player did not work (recognised err3 was present)

-I received only 2 keys with the car (one of which was not a remote transponder key)

-I received only 10months tax (not the year as promised).

-I STILL do not have the service book as promised – now 3 months on.

-The steering wheel was approximately 15degrees off centre.

-The boot was full of “odds and ends” from the previous owner (children’s toys, video camera batteries, pens, pencils)

The car initially arrived late, as my father visited your premises the day before delivery was due and found that the work promised (for example fixing holes in the dash board and stone-chip repair) was not satisfactory.

I have made the 60mile round trip to Lexus Canterbury (my local dealer) now 4 times in 3months.  This was to replace the stereo, straighten the steering wheel and check the tracking, repair (or rather attempt to repair) a terrible squeaking noise, and to look at the alloy wheels.

Finally managed to speak to Lexus Oxford (the original supplying dealer) who have verified that the 30K service was indeed done by them, however that still leaves the 10k service as missing.

I have relayed this info on to Lexus Worcester, who called me back later once the salesman had an opportunity to talk to the Dealer Manager about my predicament. The salesman informs me that it isn't a big deal if one service is missing. I however beg to differ as the car has covered a distance of 21k on the original oil etc. As far as i am concerned, they have sold me car described as having FSH when it clearly doesn't. I paid a price that reflects the Lexus Approved status and that is what is really bugging me. From what the salesman said to me, he said it was of no major concern and that it wouldn't make too much difference. I am still of the view that i bought an 'approved' lexus and therefore it should have (as quoted on the Lexus website) "an approved, checked and up to date service history".

He could offer me no further answers/solution and to make matters worse the dealer manager is now off for a week. I will call Lexus GB and let them know what is going on as they have asked me to let them know if i don't get anywhere with my dealer - as far as Lexus GB are concerned they see it as misrepresentation if a car was sold with an assumed FSH and it doesn't have it.

Looks like i'm going to have a battle on my hands....I'll keep you posted on future developments.

Cheers,

Sandeep

The salesman informs me that it isn't a big deal if one service is missing.

They'll say that when it works in their favour, but you try SELLING them a car, or PX'ing a car with a missing history - their opinions will change VERY VERY quickly!!!

You keep going at it matey. Your position and thoughts are identical to mine. If you want any help pop me a PM over - be glad to tell you the process I went through.

This really is NOT good enough though

Oh......and the manager will be back 24th Feb!!.......It's getting beyond the joke now, and I'm considering just asking for a full refund.

This is just a bit embarrassment for Lexus really. Lexus GB should flex their muscles a bit on this one me thinks. You could have em up on the trade descriptions act and everything.

Maybe call Which Legal services and see if they can also help. Plus maybe the local trading standards office. To me, its not just a one off, this dealership has been passing off substandard cars that are not upto the Lexus standards, they are buying them in cheaper and selling them for even more of a profit.

Push this one all the way, I am sure that the high up people (MD, Chairman and CEO in Lexus GB would not be happy one of their dealers is flouting the rules like this. Word spreads, fast.

Maybe the LOC should get together and run a Lexus dealership, how successful would that be, a dealership (lexus main) ran by owners for the owners. We would be mega successful!

Cheers guys, i really appreciate all the support and advice. I spoke to Lexus GB this morning relaying on what Lexus Worcester have told me. The chap at Lexus GB was very helpful. When i mentioned that Lexus Worcester thought that it was no big deal having a service missing, he told me that Lexus GB would see this a serious issue. He said that if the dealer had not checked that the service history was up to date then they had acted with negligence. I highlighted all my other concerns too, i.e all the issues i had with the car when i bought it.

Anyway, he is going to speak to the dealer manager when he returns on the 24th and also to the regional manager to see if they can offer some sort of solution.

The other issue, is that of the 5 service stamps i have, 2 are Lexus, 1 is some independant garage and 2 are a Vauxhall dealer. Since when did Vauxhall dealers have the diagnostic computers for Lexus cars! So can this really be a 'Lexus approved' service history?

The ironic thing in all this is when i PX'd my '98 Passat at Lexus Worcester, they were adamant to see the service book as i told them it had FVWSH. They religously looked through the book to see that all the stamps were there and that they were all from a VW main dealer. If they had done this for the car they sold to me then all this mess would never have happened!

A mini-meet at Lexus Worcester on the 24th sounds like a great idea!! We could even try to get the dealer manager who was in charge at the time to come along!

Cheers,

Sandeep

On the Lexus website it states for approved used cars:

Lexus Approved Service History: Servicing checked and up to date

I don't know if this means Full Lexus history or just full history? I guess you would have to speak to Lexus GB for clarification.

yeah thats the point really. If you think about it, your passat may get a service at Lexus before they sell it on, giving it a lexus stamp in the book!!

If the Lexus Approved service history should mean full Lexus only servicing, then they have done another one over on you!

Maybe call the last owner and check with them who they used, if they say company XX then you could ask why. I am sure they won't mind saying. A Company/lease car will 9/10 always use a main dealer.

The only concern I would have is if a major service is done elsewhere as as you say, they won't have to diagnostics to check all the points.

• 1 year later...

Had my Lexus serviced at Lexus Canterbury, THEY forgot to stamp the book and when it was dropped off I didnt realise until a few days later.

I did not fancy posting it, incase it got lost and I do not trust the post with my service history.

Also I asked them to replace the interior light bulb - they "forgot to do it", but it is on the service checklist so they didnt do the check but ticked the box.

Best bit was when a lady rang me and asked if the service was ok, I said NO and told her why. She said would get someone to call me back - guess what 2 days later no one had. So waste of time the "customer service phone call" !

I emailed and rang them in the end on numerous occasions.

So they offered to send me a bulb and tell me how to do it, 2 months later all I get is fobbed off.

Had enough, went to Halfords and got two lightbulbs (in 1 pack) for about £1.50 and did it myself - probably saved me £20 and the hassle.

Well I am going to go down to Canterbury (40 mile round trip) in the next month or so and will get my book stamped, and then will be going elsewhere for my next service. :angry: They have a Lexus sales room but all the servicing is done at a Toyota garage down the road.

I would say they look and sound the part, but do not deliver the quality service.

if it's any consilation, i have three stamps missing from my service book, but the previous keepers (lex leasing) have the invoices for them, all carried out at lexus guildford, so perhaps the services were done, but the previous keeper didn't take the service booklet.