Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anywhere I can buy a good match online for a green LS400?

Before everyone bombards with 'get it done at a bodyshop', I'm only painting the bootlid where the number plate sits as the previous owner drilled lots of holes that had gone lovely and rusty.

It'll be taken to a bodyshop when I can afford to have more than one panel painted at once, as it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks in advance,

Connor

(I'm aware the paint match won't be perfect because of sun fade etc, but good reccomendation appreciated)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

If the number plate hides the area just paint any colour after Kurust or something similar.

If you are sticking the new number plate, I would run waxoyl down the inside afterwards.

It doesn't, I'm already running a trimmed plate on the rear and all of the holes show, they were covered by an unnecessarily large number plate previously which just looked awful.

20171025_135727.jpg

20171129_140000.jpg

20171129_143827.jpg

20171129_155855.jpg

20171129_162144.jpg

Is that a legal plate in respect of MOT compliance ? The character spacing seems correct, but doesn't the plate have to be a certain size?  checking GOV.UK id did find this extract

The British Standard for number plates

The British Standard sets out the characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and reflectivity. To meet the British Standard, each number plate must be permanently and legibly marked with the following information.

n The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)

n The name, trademark or other way of identifying the manufacturer or supplier

n The name and postcode of the supplying outlet

You will get the paint code from the plate inside the engine bay and/or door shut.

I found buying direct from eBay (mine is bronze and I had to spray part of the bumper) was fine. In your case the colour match will be good as metallic paints like mine tend to fade.

Buy one with a lacquer included - circa £15-£20 should get you the paint and lacquer needed.

Do use lacquer, I've painted bits of cars before and thought the finish was acceptable using just the rattle can, but is makes a massive difference when applied.

Be patient, 2-3 fine coats, don't over-spray and wait for 15+ degree temperature before attempting and allow to dry and lightly sand between coats until the lacquer finishes.

Here's the eBay link I used for mine: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-Quality-400Ml-Aerosol-Can-4P7-Beige-Met-From-98-08-1K-Lacquer/330998881370

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaKa said:

You will get the paint code from the plate inside the engine bay and/or door shut.

I found buying direct from Ebay (mine is bronze and I had to spray part of the bumper) was fine. In your case the colour match will be good as metallic paints like mine tend to fade.

Buy one with a lacquer included - circa £15-£20 should get you the paint and lacquer needed.

Do use lacquer, I've painted bits of cars before and thought the finish was acceptable using just the rattle can, but is makes a massive difference when applied.

Be patient, 2-3 fine coats, don't over-spray and wait for 15+ degree temperature before attempting and allow to dry and lightly sand between coats until the lacquer finishes.

Here's the Ebay link I used for mine: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-Quality-400Ml-Aerosol-Can-4P7-Beige-Met-From-98-08-1K-Lacquer/330998881370

Thanks for the advice, but painting it shouldn't be an issue, painted plenty of things before but just not needed a decent colour match :)

If you've had decent results from just the paint code on eBay I'll give that a go, thanks :)

10 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Is that a legal plate in respect of MOT compliance ? The character spacing seems correct, but doesn't the plate have to be a certain size?  checking GOV.UK id did find this extract

The British Standard for number plates

The British Standard sets out the characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and reflectivity. To meet the British Standard, each number plate must be permanently and legibly marked with the following information.

n The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)

n The name, trademark or other way of identifying the manufacturer or supplier

n The name and postcode of the supplying outlet

I've ran trimmed plates on this almost as soon as I bought it, and had smaller/ "not correct" size plates on previous cars. It seems that as long as it can be read at a distance, the local fuzz isn't too fussed. My old Celica had an Trimmed to USDM size plate, and the rear was a motorbike plate, never had any issues with those and had them on for a few years.

20180307_160707.jpg

20180307_160555.jpg

IMG-20171012-WA0006.jpg

20170716_205057.jpg

Nice Celica, reminds me of my old Lotus Excel that shared the same running gear if I'm not mistaken?
Thanks, returning it to standard was a sad time. Some lotus' (exige i think)had a supercharged 2zzge from the factory, as did a toyota corrola. Unfortunately the celica just got the 1zzfe and the 190hp 2zzge

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There is no correct number plate size, as long as the figures themselves are regulation size, oblong or square, and have a minimum border round them, then if you have 'A 1' then you can have the tiniest plate.

What are illegal are those miniature plates you see on some Italian cars. 

A perfect match will not really be noticeable if it's only the inset panel being painted.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links