Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 fuel pump and battery replacement

Hi all looking some help, 2 days ago went to start the car, it seemed to fire once and died. Tried to start again and is just cranking.

I’ve had the car 3 yrs now and this has happened a few times but for different reasons. (Like to give as much info as possible sorry if not relivent)

1st time I drained Battery as just bought car and sat with alarm on for a month, charged Battery up and had to reset the immobiliser.

2 &3rd time did an oil change and car would not start the following day. (On both occasions I was low on fuel and assumed that was an idiot for getting so low) but after putting fuel in engine started fine.

now this time,  I stupidly let Battery run flat last week after leaving the interior light on. After a charge overnight car has been been fine but after not using car for a few days (I don’t use alarm, just lock with the key) I went to start car (-1°c) fired once and died.

Cranked a 2 to 3times and Battery was discharged, charged overnight and again after resetting immobiliser (20 mins ignition on) cranked  2 to 3 times Battery dead. Charged overnight again and with another car boosting still wouldr  not start and died after 2 to 3 try.

Confident my Battery needs replaced so I’m replacing tomorrow. The Battery I have is a Bosch S4 027 (70Ah 630a). My local motorfactors replacement is a 68AH 540a 030 will that do?

I’ve previously thought my fuel pump was on it’s way out and if it is what options do I have?. I know I can order from rockauto for £50 ish but it will take 2 weeks and I really need a replacement quicker than that, are there anyother cars that are suitable?

Many thanks

Hi all, just a quick update, Got the Battery Load tested yesterday and was told although a bit weak my problem would not be the Battery.

Checked the resistance of the fuel pump which was in spec, Took the fuel pump out and checked for fluid flow. (shot out a good 2ft, Not able to check Pressure) checked power to pump is good and you can hear it prime after a failed start attempt.

Checked Timing Belt and timing marks all good

Checked resistances of Throttle Position Sensor and Throttle Control Motor and both withing spec.

I did get it to start and run for a sec or two using Easy Start so fairly confident its a fuelling issue.

Really stuck on this one any input would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Thanks for the Reply, The Immobiliser light is going off after i have reset after Battery disconnect

No error codes as i have had to recharge my Battery after a few attempts at starting. but I have checked if any error codes are there before i have removed Battery.

is there anyway of testing them?

Got it sorted :yahoo: But dont know what it was that fixed it. This is what I did today. Any connectors I checked were clean and had no corrosion. 

Removed the EFI relay and tested for operation.

Check the Crankshaft position sensor and was withing spec, Tried to check the camshaft position sensor but could not get the plug off so Started to take the inlet manifold off for access, just gave up and put it back on. 

As I got it to fire yesterday with Easy Start I wanted try again with the wife starting car and me spraying (in bursts) Easy Start in to see I could get the car to tick over/run for a few seconds. 

Reconnected Battery, reset immobiliser, opened the throttle body butterfly, sprayed in easy start and it fired up again ran for a sec then died. (did this a few times same result). I could not get it to run any longer as every time wife touched accelerator pedal it would bog down and die(No flow pass the MAF sensor possibly as i had the inlet pipe disconnected?)

I could hear the fuel pump priming but decided to connect a 12v supply to the pump (it ran continually for the time I had it connected 10 secs or so) sprayed easy start and fired ran for a sec cut out.

Reconnected the wiring for the fuel pump, Sprayed easy start into throttle body, reconnected inlet pipe and it fired and ran fine for a few mins.

Car has ran fine all day, multiple starts covered 100 miles no issues,  baffled on what the cause was, one of the connectors that was unplugged and reconnected? still think it was a fuel issue as car started with Easy start.

Any thoughts? 

Good that it is working but without knowing the issue there will always be doubt as to whether the issue is fixed or not.

It could have been a poor connector to a sensor but the plugs are normally very reliable. You may have to just see how it goes and hope an error code is stored if the fault occurs again to help narrow down the problem area.