Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ebay Overseas Buying Query

BarneyTT

I'm interested in a listing on eBay (car related item) but the item is in Malta, I have spoken with the seller via eBay messages and everything sounds ok, his feedback rating is 205 with only one being a negative, but I'm naturally cautious about buying items from overseas especially as the price would be £200+.

Are there any eBay users who are more experienced in buying overseas advise if anything went amiss would I still be protected via ebay/paypal or do places such as Malta differ in terms of protection?

Think you'll find you are covered by Paypal in the event of any dispute. Hopefully it won't come to that but that is the protection you get with Paypal. Like you I always have a look at the sellers feedback as that gives you a good indication of reliability. You should get tracking info to view the progress of your package ... gives an assurance to both parties.

If you pay direct, outside of eBay operations, then you would be on your own....not worth the risk. 

Any disputes I've had (only had 3 in 10 years, and they were all with UK sellers) have been sorted by eBay and full refunds received. The last one suddenly had 200+ negative feedbacks in 2 weeks while I was waiting for my item!! Opened a dispute with eBay and it was sorted with full refund.

Never had a single problem with any overseas purchases thus far ... one of which was a £500 hi-fi item from Seattle. I've even sold items to China and Russia and they have gone without a hitch. 

I'm no expert but hope that helps a wee bit.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks indeed for your reply Normski, a great help and eased my mind somewhat.

Paypal is the only form of payment I'd use so your experience fits with my understanding of these type of transactions, like you I have been on eBay for more than ten years with hardly any issues, but as mentioned my experience of overseas is good but limited so it's always good to seek more experienced advice before hitting the bid button!

Liking your King Crimson avitar, they were the first band I ever saw way back in 74 on the Larks Tounges in Aspic tour and I saw them recently as well, very different bands but equally brilliant.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Glad to help.

'In the Court of' was probably the album that made me sit up and pay attention as to what this progressive stuff was...at 13 yrs of age!

Bob Fripp and Greg Lake were very local to my home town. In fact Fripp was born there. Used to see them around from time to time back in the late 60's & early 70's. Lake had a huge place just up the road when he found fame with ELP .... always a really nice guy. Sad to hear of his passing a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly Robert Fripp, Greg Lake and Andy Summers (the Police) all had the same guitar instructor in Poole.

Blimey.. facts book opened !!! I'll get my coat :whistling1:

5 hours ago, Toothy said:

You'll be protected so long as you use PayPal. Just be aware that sometimes import duties are included in shipping costs. And sometimes they are not.

Thanks David, I'm not sure import duties will apply as Malta is within the EU.

4 hours ago, normski2 said:

Glad to help.

'In the Court of' was probably the album that made me sit up and pay attention as to what this progressive stuff was...at 13 yrs of age!

Bob Fripp and Greg Lake were very local to my home town. In fact Fripp was born there. Used to see them around from time to time back in the late 60's & early 70's. Lake had a huge place just up the road when he found fame with ELP .... always a really nice guy. Sad to hear of his passing a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly Robert Fripp, Greg Lake and Andy Summers (the Police) all had the same guitar instructor in Poole.

Blimey.. facts book opened !!! I'll get my coat :whistling1:

I like facts, always interesting to hear such stories.

My mate had an older brother who had some great albums we used to listen to, In The Court was one of them and like you some of his albums set me on a musical journey I'm still on today!

I recently finished reading Greg Lake's autobiography so some of your info rang a few bells. He came across as a decent sort of bloke, very sad that both he and Keith Emerson are no longer with us. I don't think we will ever see the likes of bands such as ELP again sadly.

A quick, funny and true, Fripp story. A friend of a friend (totally oblivious in all things prog) went to a dinner party hosted by Toyah, he was chatting to this bloke and asked "so what do you do for a living?".........................Robert Fripp gave him one filthy look apparently!

• Like 1

Unable to comment on the import bit, but PayPal should protect you.

For you proggers, Robert Fripp and Andy Summers collaborated on a couple of albums.  Check out "Bewitched".....one of my favourites.

52 minutes ago, BarneyTT said:

Thanks David, I'm not sure import duties will apply as Malta is within the EU.

I like facts, always interesting to hear such stories.

My mate had an older brother who had some great albums we used to listen to, In The Court was one of them and like you some of his albums set me on a musical journey I'm still on today!

I recently finished reading Greg Lake's autobiography so some of your info rang a few bells. He came across as a decent sort of bloke, very sad that both he and Keith Emerson are no longer with us. I don't think we will ever see the likes of bands such as ELP again sadly.

A quick, funny and true, Fripp story. A friend of a friend (totally oblivious in all things prog) went to a dinner party hosted by Toyah, he was chatting to this bloke and asked "so what do you do for a living?".........................Robert Fripp gave him one filthy look apparently!

Ha ha. That’s priceless at the dinner party. Probably up near Salisbury if at their place. Saw Toyah at our local supermarket years ago ... very bubbly and friendly ... and really really tiny! Fripp and Summers did a gig in the local Minster some years ago.

So you may have twigged I’m in Wimborne. Greg Lake was from Oakdale and used to sing at a local sports club on Sundays. That must have been early/mid 60’s.

Emmo’s demise was very sad to hear of, and in such tragic circumstances.

In theory Paypal will protect you. 

In practice, its not that great. 

If its over £100, you might be better off using your credit card instead and if there is a problem, going through your bank under section 75

23 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Unable to comment on the import bit, but PayPal should protect you.

For you proggers, Robert Fripp and Andy Summers collaborated on a couple of albums.  Check out "Bewitched".....one of my favourites.

Cheers for that Steve, was aware they had recorded together but not heard the albums.

23 hours ago, normski2 said:

Ha ha. That’s priceless at the dinner party. Probably up near Salisbury if at their place. Saw Toyah at our local supermarket years ago ... very bubbly and friendly ... and really really tiny! Fripp and Summers did a gig in the local Minster some years ago.

So you may have twigged I’m in Wimborne. Greg Lake was from Oakdale and used to sing at a local sports club on Sundays. That must have been early/mid 60’s.

Emmo’s demise was very sad to hear of, and in such tragic circumstances.

Saw her in concert years ago and she seemed quite petite, not sure where the dinner party was though.

Re: Location, yes after reading the book and looking at your location it all fell into place.

Emersons exit from the world was tragic, seems things had troubled him from childhood and with the medical/playing issues everything conspired against him.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

In theory Paypal will protect you. 

In practice, its not that great. 

If its over £100, you might be better off using your credit card instead and if there is a problem, going through your bank under section 75

Thanks Rayann. Never having had a credit card that option is out and from what you have said I think I might pass on the auction as it's going to be over £200+, not worth the risk or hassle if it goes belly up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links