Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

400 speaker upgrade with satnav

Evening guys, a quick search hasn't really picked up the answers I'm after so I'm asking you knowledgeable folk :)

In my 98 I've got the touchscreen sat nav that links with the stereo. My question to you guys is if anyone has or is aware of a aftermarket stereo that still communicates with the touchscreen nav?

Aswell as that, also wondering if the speakers (especially the subwoofer) can be upgraded without need to the factory amp. And if the amp does need upgrading too any that are best?

Whilst the speakers themselves are great the stereo is a little dated, and I could do with some extra bass from the rear. But ideally I don't want to lose any touchscreen options or have to butcher and splice a ton of wires.

Thanks chaps

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd advise simply connecting a Bluetooth receiver into the amp. I did it and can help. Then, instead of hacking too much initially, just add an outboard amp for a new sub in the existing place, running it off the existing wiring. Tune the bass from there and see if you need to beef other things up.

Usual advice working on door speakers. Be very careful to replace all moisture barriers. 

I'd advise simply connecting a Bluetooth receiver into the amp. I did it and can help. Then, instead of hacking too much initially, just add an outboard amp for a new sub in the existing place, running it off the existing wiring. Tune the bass from there and see if you need to beef other things up.
Usual advice working on door speakers. Be very careful to replace all moisture barriers. 
A Bluetooth receiver in the factory amp? That's not something I've heard of before is it something you've done?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes. £10 eBay part with a BT receiver, analog output and USB powered. Intercepted cables in the amp under the driver's seat with a suppressor in place.  Wired it is as a parallel input from the pre amp into the power amp, so it will be "live" no matter what function you select (CD/tape/radio). However, you can use all the existing functions-just don't play anything on the Bluetooth. The best bit is that the factory volume knob still works, however the Bluetooth controller has a volume knob and I have stuck it near the gearknob so its within easy reach. Ta da, Bluetooth, all factory look.

In terms of "communicating" with the factory head unit, I think you are out of luck unless you swap out the factory nav for a non-nav head unit, which would have to come from a US or Japanese market LS400/Celsior, as a non-nav option was not offered in the UK. Plenty of units on US eBay although the volume knob is on the wrong side! I've looked into this conversion (should the nav fail) and the connectors would all seem to match for the swap, but whether the UK ECU is involved I do not know (would not think so but you never know.) 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links