Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

dopey pricing methinks .........................  they'll have it for a very very long time :wink3: 

These cars benefit from being used, not preserved in aspic

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

dopey pricing methinks .........................  they'll have it for a very very long time :wink3: 

These cars benefit from being used, not preserved in aspic

Malc

I agree with some of the comments the colour is wrong and the wheels are wrong the price to someone who believes these are future classics is about right and if anyone wishes to dispute that point find me another in that condition apart from mine which as only 38k on the clock.

Malc your comment about being used depends on the user I have no reason to use mine other than a couple of times a week and maybe the odd trip down south twice a year.

I have put about the same amount of miles on mine in five years that the previous owner put on in 14 years and it has'nt made any difference to how the car runs or behaves and apart from new pads on the front it and timing belt it as had no replacement parts regards consumables .

I concede that putting it in a garage and bringing it out when the sunshines is not ideal but any other type of light use does not affect these cars.

If I had to choose it would be the one in Edinburgh, and I might go as high as 5£5K, but given my recent work on the rust on my year 2000 Mk4, I would be having a darned good poke about in the rear arches for rust.  But that is another storey which I will post on, as ine if going in for MOT this Tuesday, and once that is all done, I'll do another post with some photos of the holes in rear arches.

The Edinburgh one says it has several layers of wax, but it under the body where it is also needed.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, booking my old girl in for the full underbody treatment. Not cheap, bit after what she got me through in the snow and salt recently it's worth it.

16 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

How few people bother with a mobile phone snap of the underbody...

Used DSLR to take photos, but have not loaded onto computer yet, and not sure how in focus  they were, as more interested in getting the gashes prepped, but really shocked at how bad it was.  My dad has Peugeot 406, same age as my LS, and barely any rust in arches, but around where I live mud makes up 10% of the roads (when the tractors have done their travels).

I've seen more LS400s with rough undersides and nice bodies than the other way around. Garage queens, once a week to the car wash and never an underbody pressure washer to be seen...

16 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Personally I love everything about this apart from the price.  

Yep, I love the colour and the wheels are my first choice if I can find some at a reasonable price. Still more miles on it than my MK3 though :)

8 hours ago, Z28DUNC said:

Yep, I love the colour and the wheels are my first choice if I can find some at a reasonable price. Still more miles on it than my MK3 though :)

The wheels look like facelift LS430, they really suit it I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the price is too steep, in my opinion £4-5K seems more appropriate, but if you're selling you need some wriggle room. If the timing belt has just been done (the mileage is right for a new belt) then perhaps a little more.

My guess is the original wheels would have pitted badly as mine did and it was easier to buy LS430 clean wheels which have an inch extra on the rim size if I'm not mistaken.

The driving mats look after- market but knowing the cost of Lexus replacements I can understand why. 

As mentioned recently on other posts, I do expect these prices to rise slowly over the next 5-10 years.

• Like 1