Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drove over a pothole last week - didn't initially spot any issue until I cleaned the car yesterday - no damage to the alloy but the tyre has taken a battering

I will check with the garage but is this an MOT failure?

5ab7c3a922ca5_Potholedamagetotyre17_03_2018.thumb.jpg.3bf0e93a206e65971cc6e7ebf364a4df.jpg

I would have thought so.

You may well be able to claim back the cost of the tyre from your local council. Grab a pic of the pothole and it’s location to include with any claim.

I'm no mechanic or MOT Tester so make of this what you will, but I reckon that's a failure. Something structural has happened there, which is why it's not returning to its normal shape. This is what the manual says:

tyremot.jpg

Hard lines about your tyre, looks fairly new. Don't know for sure about MOT however for piece of mind I would certainly get it checked sooner rather than later. As Normski says a photo of the pothole to the council may reap some compensation. The state of the roads are becoming unbelievably bad, it is very difficult to drive anywhere with encountering numerous potholes, most of them being rather large and deep and very difficult to avoid. Whenever I go over them  I always joke with my wife , the next vehicle I'm going to buy will be a tractor due to the road conditions. Bad that its happened however good you spotted it so quick, wouldn't want you to have a blowout while driving. Hope everything turns out OK for you.

Hi all:wink3:

Er yes i would say it is a failure as has been said get pictures and you will need to report the hole to the council first before you can claim for damage to tyre.

Be warned that they will probably reject your claim but object and they should pay up.:wink3:

You are thinking how do i know all this i went down a hill and the tarmac had sunk and it was like a brick wall one after the other BANG BANG front tyre went stayed on rim rim was fine tyre looked ok but watched it going down, contacted council as i said earlier was told we think it better to spend money on reparing pot holes than pay for your tyre so objected to there decision and got cost off tyre they did not take response ability for it.

Best off luck.:unsure:

65mike.

BUMMER !!!!!

Practically brand new tyre.

I doubt I can get a picture as its a busy single lane road - its shown on the dash cam footage but its a small "step" in the footage as it went over the hole - I can try with this method but without getting a picture of the hole I think its pretty useless.... will give it a go though but am sure I will need measurements (length and depth) of the hole so to determine is it is actually a hole !!

Thanks for all the info

Guess we will just have to keep throwing money away paying road tax until someone is killed !!!  :angry: 

Unfortunately that is an absolute failure as the sidewall has structurally separated internally and is not repairable, I would not drive with a tyre in that condition as it could fail at any time and at motorway speeds could lead to rapid deflation and loss of control.

In a previous life as a test driver for Michelin we used to replicate all types of scenarios and this was one such example change it matey soon as.

Big Rat

Cheers

It will be getting replaced on Tuesday when I can get a matching tyre ordered.

Only doing local miles till them, a roads with no great speed but will be aware of it. Council will be receiving the knackered one 1st class !!