Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 No passanger heating

Hi Everyone, Think its my first time positing on this. The lexus has been grate and haven't had many issues with it so far but this has been around since I got it and I've just had enough now.

So... passenger side doesn't have any hot air, but the air is freely coming out. Last night I done a coolant change and bled the system for a few hrs. getting all the air bubbles out it took just under 5l of coolant but still only the drivers side blows hot.

I have a few pictures that I have attached.

The first is of the blower motor, it is working perfectly fine and nothing is blocking the flow from this to the air vents (second picture) The 3rd is of the top facing vents so im not sure of the setup of the air system in the car but almost seem like there is a dividing wall, so the right side of the front heater is lovely and hot, left side, nothing dead cold almost like the ac is on. the 4th  is of what im guessing holds the heater core etc

A lot of folk may be saying its the solenoids or actuators I check both the vent one and the tempter one. unless there are one for each side they are working fine, going up and down no grinding no funny noises.

Do you think it may be a faulty heater core, or maybe just a block ?

29632856_10216153775626893_691182522_o.jpg

29526692_10216153775586892_96059215_o.jpg

29746471_10216153776386912_475008159_o.jpg

29632961_10216153776146906_1238284535_o.jpg

Thanks colinbarber It does help, as I have a more understanding of everything.

so last night investigating a bit more, both pipes are hot coming from the heater core, Do you think that maybe one side of the heater core is blocked and that's why its only one side that is getting hot ?

If so :( is removing the heater core a job that can be done with the dash in ? What's your thoughts ?

I'd say you are correct, the heater core is partially blocked. I think you do need to dismantle quite a bit to get it out so I would try reverse flushing it first.

Find the pipes on the engine bay bulkhead and determine which is the feed and which is the return - the feed should be much hotter. Disconnect them and put a hose pipe on the return and flush it out for 10 minutes. If this is the cause then I'd suggest that Toyota coolant hasn't always been used and changed at the correct intervals.

Is the engine temperature correct? The gauge should be a fraction under half - if you have a thermostat issue and the engine is running too cool then you may not get the heat you expect in the cabin. 

Cheers Colin, Yeah I done a flush but this was the same way the flow is, so going to try a backwards flush and see what happens, might see if I can get a small compressor and blow the crap out.

the drivers side is nice and toasty - once the engine heats up.

I suspect it must be a block in the passenger side so what im going to do is ....

1. Backwards flush

2. blow compressed air though the core backwards (if I can get a compressor)

3. If it still doesn't get hot, I read a way to get it out by just cutting the pipes

4. To test that the core is good or not, put boiling water though it to confirm if all of the core is getting hot   or not and take it from there.

If it gets hot I will need to investigate the AC unit as to where the core sits maybe there is a block between the air going to the core and going to the vents ?

Either way I will make another post in a few days.

Should I take any photos of anything in particular for other folk do you think ?

Best of luck Scott. I'm sure other owners will appreciate any photos you can post up.

After normal back flushing, you could try filling with boiling water and let it sit there for a while, possibly even use a descale product, either car or domestic heating system - nothing to lose at that point before wrestling with getting it out. Just make sure it is all flushed out before connecting it back up to the vehicles cooling system.