Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 (2002) transmition issue

Dear Forum members, 

I have problem with RX300 (2002) during switching from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 speed - there is slight impulses with no strange sounds. If I press accelaration pedal at moment when transmittion is in position to switch (about 2000RPM) there is no issue. However if there is common operation I feel impulses. They are different in kind and seems depends on outside temprature. Diagnostic reveal no problems. But service guys advice me to replace transmition sensors.Could you please let me know if this is truth 

Here is some good information about transmission issues: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/355

You can also email the guy who runs that website, he's very knowledgable about transmissions and happily answers questions for free:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/contact

• Like 1

Dear Mark, 

Thank you for detailed explanation provided. Unfortunately there is no indication what causing issue I have. Under impulse I mean short jerks and vibration - can you share your thoughts please. I have also contact to person you have suggested

thank you

I’m not a transmission expert. How many miles are on it and has it ever been serviced? I think RX of that generation are known for having weak transmissions.

If a reputable garage has said it may just be sensors then I’d be inclined to take their advice as I suspect sensors are going to be much cheaper than most other things that you might need to do to fix a transmission. In any case if a sensor is bad it may show up in techstream. If it’s never been serviced then you probably want to do that at the same time.

I would certainly start with doing two or three drain/refills of the pan if it has never been done. I actually installed an external filter on my wife's old RX300 to keep the transmission fluid healthy after a number of reports in the US of problems.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links