Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

02 sensor, is seat removal necessary?

After two weeks I've finally got my Denso sensor from Rockauto for a third of the main dealer price.  There's a Youtube tutorial for replacing bank 2 sensor 2 which shows the seat being removed which seems ridiculous.  Does anyone know if the same applies on the drivers side as I'm replacing bank 1 sensor 2?  The alternative is to have the wires cut, soldered and heat shrunk,  but I'd rather do it properly if possible.

Any info greatly received.  

No I don't think AWD makes a difference.

Unless you move the seat completely forwards/backwards and cut the carpet as close as possible to the connector I don't think you have an option other than to remove the seat and lift the carpet.

41 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

No I don't think AWD makes a difference.

Unless you move the seat completely forwards/backwards and cut the carpet as close as possible to the connector I don't think you have an option other than to remove the seat and lift the carpet.

Thanks Colin. What a strange design considering these parts only last a relatively short time.  

It's not great but It protects the connector from the elements - Lexus have used that design for some time on most, if not all, of their vehicles. The rear sensors don't fail at anywhere near the frequency of the main front ones so isn't a problem for the majority of vehicles.

• Thanks 1

On the IS300, B2S2 connector is under the drivers seat, but B1S2 is accessible in the engine bay as it's on the exhaust manifold. Might be worth checking if the GS300 is the same as it could save you a lot of time. 

It turns out the seat doesn't need removing. I had it done today by a local garage (that I trust!) £46+ which I'm more than happy with, the passenger side looks like the seat would have to come out though.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 5:24 PM, The-Acre said:

It turns out the seat doesn't need removing. I had it done today by a local garage (that I trust!) £46+ which I'm more than happy with, the passenger side looks like the seat would have to come out though.

Having said that about the passenger side, I bet there's a way round it (without cutting and joining wires) although I hope I never have to find out!