Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going to see a 450h tomorrow, any tips?

Hey guys, IS300 owner here and looking at a GS 450h or 300.

Going to have a look at a 450h tomorrow (this one: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712162101798) and was hoping you fellas would have some tips on what to look for.

I can see leaking shocks mentioned a few times, plus door lock actuators? Any concerns about the hybrid system- is it worth sticking to a regular GS300 instead maybe?

Thanks!

When I considered the hybrid the main advice was to have a health check done on the hybrid system which I believe is about £60 or so at Lexus.  In the end I went for the non hybrid as I wanted to keep things as simple as I could.  Also the shock absorbers which are a weak point seem to be much cheaper on the 300.

9 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

When I considered the hybrid the main advice was to have a health check done on the hybrid system which I believe is about £60 or so at Lexus.  In the end I went for the non hybrid as I wanted to keep things as simple as I could.  Also the shock absorbers which are a weak point seem to be much cheaper on the 300.

Only cheaper on the pre 2008 GS300. Both great cars. Check the exhaust where the two rear silencers meet. 

Look for any warning lights / non functioning engine warning light.

I'm somewhat reluctant to recommend a series III GS450h if you want stress free motoring as they suffer from hybrid transmission and Battery issues. Nothing that can't be fixed (relatively cheaply by independents/home mechanics) but doesn't have the usual Lexus reliability IMO given the issues raised on these forums in relation to the very small number of GS vehicles sold.

Series IV 450h is awesome, but possible to new for common long term issues to arise and not in the same budget bracket.

Thank you guys. I think you might have convinced me to go with a regular 300 (this one looks good http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803214783125). Having had some difficult-to-solve niggles with my IS300, I don't want to go there again. 

Much appreciated!

9 hours ago, catnap said:

Thank you guys. I think you might have convinced me to go with a regular 300 (this one looks good http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803214783125). Having had some difficult-to-solve niggles with my IS300, I don't want to go there again. 

Much appreciated!

Nothing comes up on the link.  Where in Sussex are you?

10 hours ago, catnap said:

Much appreciated!

You won't regret getting a 300. Quick enough and has that Lexus waft. Plus taking it easy you can get 40mpg on the motorway. IS300 a great car too, I had 2 of them from new. Miss the straight 6 sometimes.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Nothing comes up on the link.  Where in Sussex are you?

Just outside Tunbridge Wells, bit further south. Why, got one for sale?

Odd that the link isn't working, it's a 78k 05-plate GS300 in red with full dealer service history for 4k - SE spec though. Did these ever come with the ACC toy like the 450h?

1 hour ago, stevet said:

You won't regret getting a 300. Quick enough and has that Lexus waft. Plus taking it easy you can get 40mpg on the motorway. IS300 a great car too, I had 2 of them from new. Miss the straight 6 sometimes.

Every time I boot it, I think "I'm going to miss this". But it's getting a bit rattly at 155k and the economy is shocking- 22 going to and from work, max I've seen is 28 on a long drive to Amsterdam. 

2 hours ago, catnap said:

Just outside Tunbridge Wells, bit further south. Why, got one for sale?

Odd that the link isn't working, it's a 78k 05-plate GS300 in red with full dealer service history for 4k - SE spec though. Did these ever come with the ACC toy like the 450h?

No, I'm near Brighton and I was going to suggest you could come and play with my GS to see if you'd be happy with one.

• Like 1

Every time I boot it, I think "I'm going to miss this". But it's getting a bit rattly at 155k and the economy is shocking- 22 going to and from work, max I've seen is 28 on a long drive to Amsterdam. 

Interestingly I'm looking for a IS300 (Sportcross) to replace my GS300!! I didn't realise that IS300's had such poor economy. I thought 'same engine, must be lighter car so MPG increase'. Wow.

15 minutes ago, Normski said:

Interestingly I'm looking for a IS300 (Sportcross) to replace my GS300!! I didn't realise that IS300's had such poor economy. I thought 'same engine, must be lighter car so MPG increase'. Wow.

If I baby it I can get about 300 miles to a tank, it's better since I sorted the brakes and got decent tyres. Used to be 225 per tank. It's an older engine - the non turbo version of the Supra engine, 2JZ. If you're serious about getting one and the economy doesn't bother you too much, I'd be interested in discussing further. I've done a *lot* of work to this car. 

27 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

No, I'm near Brighton and I was going to suggest you could come and play with my GS to see if you'd be happy with one.

Ah I see. That's very kind, thank you. The girlfriend and I were down there on Monday actually, we like it down there. If I find myself in the area and haven't driven one yet, I'll send you a message! 

• Like 1

You will find the GS300 actually quicker so nothing to miss there.

5 hours ago, catnap said:

Did these ever come with the ACC toy like the 450h?

Yes, although I have no idea how many models there are fitted with it as it was an optional extra but only offered for the SE-L spec of the 300. It was fitted as standard on the 430/460 and on the SE-L spec 450h from launch until the '08 facelift when it then became an option.

It was not standard on the 430 - it was an option on the facelift version 53 plate onwards - you can tell if an ls430 has it by looking at the grill - ACC ones have a clear square around the grill badge. I dont think ALL 360s had it either

39 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

It was not standard on the 430 - it was an option on the facelift version 53 plate onwards - you can tell if an ls430 has it by looking at the grill - ACC ones have a clear square around the grill badge. I dont think ALL 360s had it either

Maybe he means the GS430?

48 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

8 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Maybe he means the GS430?

Yes. Mk3 GS430.

GS450h generally higher spec before options, lower VED, more mpg, more performance, less brake wear, technically more complicated so potentially more to go wrong but that does not seem to the experience of LOC members. 300 and 450 weak points are dampers and exhaust. Calliper pins too but this is an easy DIY job. Both great cars. I had a Mk2 GS300 for 10 years and now have a Mk3 GS450n for 2.5 years. The 450 is better in all respects than the Mk2. I don't know about the Mk3 300

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

GS450h ... technically more complicated so potentially more to go wrong but that does not seem to the experience of LOC members. 

Unfortunately it is the experience of LOC members. Some examples are below, there is others. This is particularly poor compared to the RX400h where I can only recall one or two issues with the hybrid system and that was available a year before the GS450h (so has had longer for issues to occur) and sold 5 to 10 times as well as the GS450h.

Well, that is one way of looking at it.  It can surely be looked from another angle?

The whole hybrid Battery cell replacement issue is covered by this excellent pictorial guide right here on this forum:- 

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/104412-2007-gs450h-hybrid-battery-cell-replacement-for-50/

As per the subsequent comments, this guide really does demystify the whole thing.  It does not take special tools, in fact it does not take many tools at all.  It does take a strong friend to help you lift it out though!!

Follow the guide, it shows every stage.  It does work.  If you are a reasonable DIYer, it can easily be done in a day.  Cells are readily available for £30. 

If you want to look at it in purely financial terms, a GS300 costs more per year to tax (£250 more?) and more per year on fuel (£250? Based on Parker's guide for GS450h & GS300 for just 8000 miles p/a).  That's £500 more per year, every year, regardless.

If you do not want to replace a Battery cell yourself, Richard (Hybrid Battery Solutions) on here does it for £800.  On the fuel & tax savings alone, you could almost have it done every 18 months by him - and no matter how much you trawl back through the search facility I don't think there is anyone who claims the hybrid system fails every 18 months.

There are definite upsides of the GS450h that cannot be matched by the GS300, in terms of the real world running costs (£500 p/a on just 8000 miles a year); it is cleaner in environmental terms, and the performance is as effortless as it is amazing.

Now, the shock absorber replacement cost..... that's something to consider :yucky: but the hybrid Battery cell replacement is not the big scary horrendous thing some people make it out to be.

Just my personal opinion & my personal experience, I hope this helps!!

Brian.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XT5 said:

If you do not want to replace a battery cell yourself, Richard (Hybrid Battery Solutions) on here does it for £800. 

I would just like to clarify something here (before Richard or anyone else does) that Hybrid Battery Solutions recondition the whole Battery unit for that price, whereas I merely replaced a single cell and cleaned up all the copper busbar connections.

Brian.

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Unfortunately it is the experience of LOC members. Some examples are below, there is others. This is particularly poor compared to the RX400h where I can only recall one or two issues with the hybrid system and that was available a year before the GS450h (so has had longer for issues to occur) and sold 5 to 10 times as well as the GS450h.

I appreciate that there are recorded problems with the hybrid system on the 450h but it is by no means the vast majority of them that some, it seems, would have others believe. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links