Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MOT Failure

Put in to my local garage for the car’s first MOT yesterday and shock –horror –disbelief : a failure.  Less than 300 miles after the last service and first time in my long motoring life.  Culprit was a faulty headlight throwing an incorrect high beam (too high).  Shot off to Lexus Reading who made space for me and £95 later I had my MOT. 

There was no warning that the headlight was faulty and light was still being produced but clearly the ‘wrong’ kind of light.  For all I know I have been driving for ages, blinding other motorists and, I suppose, ever open to being stopped by the police.  All rather alarming.  

Is it not just a quick adjustment to get this corrected? A very minor thing.

Mine also failed on this basis, adjustment was done by the tester and was retested immediately. Pass issued.

What did they charge £95 for?

Was not an adjustment. The beam was very dispersed and needed a new light (bulb?).   Testers were unable to adjust the beam.  And Lexus tell me that they do not check the alignment of the beam  during the service.  

glad you got it sorted. FYI I took mine to the local Toyota dealer today for its MOT £27,50, Lexus wanted nearly 50 quid, both garages owned by the same group too. 

• Like 1

I seem to recall that bi-xenon headlights feature a solenoid operated shield that creates the cut off for the dipped beam. Sounds very old fashioned like those 1930s headlamps where a solenoid tilted the whole reflector. Anyway, maybe that shield or solenoid had become defective, necessitating replacement of the whole "bulb". That would explain the £95 charge.

Car was in warranty Darren but  MOT deadline was 29/3 and didn't want to run into difficulties with grandchildren arriving.  Lexus had already pointed out that warranty doesn't cover light "bulbs". Maybe I could have argued the case ?

On 3/27/2018 at 9:54 PM, Carl1983 said:

glad you got it sorted. FYI I took mine to the local Toyota dealer today for its MOT £27,50, Lexus wanted nearly 50 quid, both garages owned by the same group too. 

Thats how much I pay at Lexus.

Or £27.49 to be exact

Yes, I pay £27 at Lexus too but not sure if that’s discounted with having a service plan. The extended warranty also covers any work to get through MOT (except brakes and tyres)

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

The £27 is (according to my Lexus dealer) the discounted MOT price with a service plan in place - when I took mine for a service and MOT I wasn't on a service plan but discussed this with the service department and decided to sign-up to cover future servicing. As I decided to sign up to a service plan going forwards (although paying on the day for the current service and MOT) they discounted that current MOT to the same £27 as if I had a service plan in place.

• Like 1

Interesting. I had a service plan in place and was told the MOT price was £49, oh and they wouldn't do it on a Saturday morning. Well I've voted with my feet and had it done at a local outfit  for £30,  who would do it on a a Saturday and are more conveniently located for me. Their coffee isn't as nice however :laugh:. I get the dealer probably has higher overheads but surely good customer service would be to offer a discount when the MOT is booked in at the same time as the service? Especially hybrids when they don't have the emissions test to complete.

Disappointing to hear the OPs failure. Was the £95 just for the adjustment/repair? The MOT retest can be partial at reduced cost if you get it back to the test centre within 10 days (or free the next day for some faults). 

If you have a service plan with Lexus, fair enough. If you have a local, trusted garage, all well and good.

But for anyone who hasn't, a great way to avoid being ripped off is local authority garages. I took my RX300 for MOT to Preston Bus Garages who charge the public £29.00 for MOT but they don't actually carry out any work on public cars, therefore no incentive to erroneously 'fail' the car. Around here, the Ambulance Garage and also Fire Brigade (I think) also offer the service for the same price.

Never heard of that, very interesting. Might see what's available round here. Although my lexus dealer didn't charge me anything for mot

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Colin, it was for replacement bulb (65 + fitting +vat)  but as the headlamp glass is opaque I cannot see what was replaced.  And Darren, warranty says bulbs not included but if I can muster the energy I might write to Lexus.  My local long standing non-Lexus garage thinks those lights are meant to last the life of the car.   But maybe not in Lexus case given the length of time Lexus cars last !!

• 2 weeks later...

I had my mot from kwik fit failed on incorrect alignment on both sides only cost £10 to correct alignment but £95 is understandable as  Xenon are  gas filled bulbs. My Mercedes-Benz e320 cdi on 2002 had Xenon bulbs and cost me £100 to replace. Life of these bulbs should be like 15 yrs as they claim so lexus should replace foc. Ats doing mot for 9.99 on Groupon voucher but unfortunately didn't do in Hornchurch branch so got my taxi mot'ed for £18 using Groupon voucher. Worth checking Ats as might do in your area. 

2 hours ago, ahmedali44 said:

I had my mot from kwik fit failed on incorrect alignment on both sides only cost £10 to correct alignment

Hmmm as far as I know wheel alignment is not part of the MOT test.

Convenient that Kwik Fit just happen to do alignments  :huh:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Martin F said:

Hmmm as far as I know wheel alignment is not part of the MOT test.

Convenient that Kwik Fit just happen to do alignments  :huh:

I have identical cynical thoughts too.

22 minutes ago, Martin F said:

wheel alignment is not part of the MOT test.

errrm  aren't we talking about headlamp beam alignment !

Malc

Another (nice) surprise.  Wrote to Lexus about the failed light bulb and it is covered by warranty so refund on its way to me.  Thanks to all who prompted me to write. 

• Like 3