Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How quite is the RX450

Hi All,

I had a 24hr test drive of the latest NX300 over the weekend. The road noise was awful when I took it back the people in the showroom said the previous one was worse!

Has anyone tried the NX300 v RX450 and if so is it less noisy?

Thanks

Had an RX450h since the beginning of February and we love it. Much quieter than our previous RX300 but as Les said above, tyres play a massive part in the noise equasion.

• Like 1

I have just driven the latest RX450H back to back with the last incarnation and then drove home in my RX400H.

In summary - the latest one is very quiet in comparison, they have done a good job on insulating us from road noise and thumps.  The 2015 one was OK (it was the Premier with air suspension).  Bit quieter than mine but I thought the ride was still more jiggly than my 400H which is pretty noisy - particularly coming up over the back seat.  Mind it does have winter tyres fitted.

Mike

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rayaans said:

the 4RX is like a tomb inside - no HUD and you'd struggle to tell you've maxed it out....

:wink3: Ironically the HUD is absolutely no use to me.  I use polarizing sunglasses to cut down the glare from the top of the fascia.  The HUD of course disappeared as soon as I put them on.  And all the RX's I have driven recently have given me exactly that tomb like feeling compared to my light and airy RX400H.  Apart from the 400 having light grey interior, the window lines seem to be lower and it has the glass sunroof (why do they call it a moon roof by the way?).  I concede that the most popular colour for an interior must be black as most used RX's seem to be so equipped.  But I drove a Premier yesterday that supposedly had the brown leather option.  What a joke - it had brown leather seats plonked in a black interior - they really should get some British design guys involved.  (and their ivory 450H looked more beige with a sickly greenish tinge)

Mike

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikesands said:

:wink3: Ironically the HUD is absolutely no use to me.  I use polarizing sunglasses to cut down the glare from the top of the fascia.  The HUD of course disappeared as soon as I put them on.  And all the RX's I have driven recently have given me exactly that tomb like feeling compared to my light and airy RX400H.  Apart from the 400 having light grey interior, the window lines seem to be lower and it has the glass sunroof (why do they call it a moon roof by the way?).  I concede that the most popular colour for an interior must be black as most used RX's seem to be so equipped.  But I drove a Premier yesterday that supposedly had the brown leather option.  What a joke - it had brown leather seats plonked in a black interior - they really should get some British design guys involved.  (and their ivory 450H looked more beige with a sickly greenish tinge)

Mike

I've Had a few different models and found the same problem on all   The glare from the facia is horrendous I would appreciate it if someone could find a solution    Les

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLACKBLADDER said:

I've Had a few different models and found the same problem on all   The glare from the facia is horrendous I would appreciate it if someone could find a solution    Les

The solution is definitely polarising sunglasses.  When windscreens were made differently they were poor because their was an internal pattern that became visible but modern windscreens are perfect with polarising lenses.  You just need to find a pair of lightly tinted ones then you can use them all year round when the sun is out and causing that reflective glare off the fascia.  I tried draping black velvet over the front and it worked but just looked a mess.

Mike

4 hours ago, mikesands said:

Mike

I thought they called it "panoramic sunroof" - moonroof is a US term

There are a few different beige/brown colours on the RX Premier. One is almost white, there's tan, dark brown and a mid beige. 

Seats and door cards should only be a different colour IMO, the rest of the interior needs to be black including carpets. Otherwise its just a pain to clean

My interior is red though and i have the pan roof so it lights up the cabin relatively well compared to my previous RX which had black interior and no sunroof

You shouldn't be getting any glare off the dashboard - they should be matt

8 hours ago, mikesands said:

Mike

Well I don't know what you've been looking at but I just couldn't be happier with our RX450h.

Very quiet, bright, airy, roomy, drives and handles like a dream and so comfortable. Have we just been very lucky? Have you just been very unlucky? Or are you just looking for reasons to keep your 400h? :biggrin:

ourcar.jpg

ourcar1.jpg

Yes perhaps I was exagerrating my issues with the ivory - it certainly looks nice and airy on yours.  I have now borrowed the latest 450H for a couple of 3 hour sessions and I think the suspension is much better (even than my 400H - so my plan is to hang on to mine for a year until the new shape ones are coming on to the used market in greater numbers)

Mike

My poor old 450h has been somewhat neglected .. never waxed or polished .. last service was 2016 but today paid the princely sum of £700 plus smackers for the 60k service .. delivered back to me absolutely spotless inside and out ..  it is mega reliable .. quiet a fantastic motorway cruiser and my wife just loves it .. that is until I bought an LS600h .. not the cheapest to run but .. what a motor !!! ..

My Premier is very quiet. It’s so quiet , that  I can hear the seatbelts rubbing against the leather seats. 

I’m just getting in now, on the way to Manchester airport for the early morning to Heathrow.  Quiet roads....

5 hours ago, Bodmeister said:

My Premier is very quiet. It’s so quiet , that  I can hear the seatbelts rubbing against the leather seats. 

I’m just getting in now, on the way to Manchester airport for the early morning to Heathrow.  Quiet roads....

But if it's a 2017 (as per your info on the left), surely it's the latest shape one which is very quiet indeed.

Mike

4 hours ago, mikesands said:

But if it's a 2017 (as per your info on the left), surely it's the latest shape one which is very quiet indeed.

Mike

Mines a 4RX too. 

Its definitely quieter than the 3RX though which I had previously. Not huge amount but definitely quieter

The RX 450 h is a super quiet car. I previously had a 3RX and picked up my new 4RX earlier today. My 12 yr old son commented “this is really quiet”. As others have commented the tyres also play a big part. Mine came with the Dunlop Sport Maxx.

ECA3FD80-0118-4D19-B00B-4B088DBBA497.jpeg

• Like 1