Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rc-f...things to know...

So... anything worth knowing? For example the isf throttle response was irritating. Too soft in comfort and too pokey in sport so the apexi controller was spot on. No phone integration from a music playing perspective etc 

Anything like this with the rc-f? 

Is the noise piped in to the cabin or is it fake from speakers?

Stu

Things I like: almost everything

Things I don't:

The indicator lights are hidden by my hands in normal (10 to 2) driving position. The noise is also inaudible, so too often I've left them on after turns shallow enough to not trigger the self-cancel. My contempt for people who leave their flashers on is high, so I feel like a right berk when it happens

When I'm listening to the radio, the display space for the song and band is so short that often I can't see who or what is playing. For example;2112 by Rush is just about OK, but In a gadda da vida by Iron Butterfly is well out of spec

When switching on, it takes several menu interactions before I get the map up. I just want the map dammit

2.5 years in and I'm still not loving the touchpad. Teenagers seem to get it quickly, but then I comfort myself by knowing they won't ever get to see all the great bands in their prime (see above)

....and that's all...I think

On a related note; I'm very pleased to see the emerging passion for the RCF from the ISF gang. It felt like there was some neutrality, or even skepticism, back in 2015 which caused me to doubt my choice. Now I feel in good company and feel like a man of impeccable taste

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

On a related note; I'm very pleased to see the emerging passion for the RCF from the ISF gang. It felt like there was some neutrality, or even skepticism, back in 2015 which caused me to doubt my choice. Now I feel in good company and feel like a man of impeccable taste.

You clearly were👍🏻

I think any owner of an F is someone who is not particularly interested in the biased views of the motoring press or they wouldn’t have bought one in a he first place.  

For me at the time my reservations about the RCF were mainly about it’s styling which has really only changed relatively reasently - so you were clearly a man of vision 😉. I also found the early depreciation quite alarming as well!!

As far as my experience with the RCF - I haven’t driven it enough to sensibly comment on at the moment.  I can see why people miss the touch screen from the ISF  as the mouse pad in the RCF is not as direct, but the positive to this is that the screen is in a better position when you are driving.

Just for your info the extended warranty & servicing is slightly more expensive but not excessively so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks both. Good feedback and seems like nothing major to consider. Not even sure I will get warranty.

I think the RC-F is a strange car to many. Its not as fast as the C63, its not as nimble as the M4 etc. What people seem to miss is that it is better at both as a package. It offers track times tenths of seconds off the M4 but the comfort, refinement, looks, reliability are far superior. Also the basic equipment level is far superior. It is a very similar weight to the C63 but build quality, quality of materials, gear box is much better. The RC-F offers the thinking person a truly exceptional car. It can go on track and compete damn well with its rivals, it is better specced as standard, it has a stonking V8 with a great box and fantastic looks. Clearly looks are subjective. Also, on top of all of this it is by far the most rare of them all and as someone who like to not follow the crowd this is a MASSIVE draw. The only thing missing for me is the exhaust note (from videos). We shall see when I hear one in person.

Any idea if the sound is artificial that is piped in to the cabin or is it coming from the engine?

If anyone is near Essex (Chelmsford) id love a proper look over one and a passenger ride?

Stu

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Thanks both. Good feedback and seems like nothing major to consider. Not even sure I will get warranty.

I think the RC-F is a strange car to many. Its not as fast as the C63, its not as nimble as the M4 etc. What people seem to miss is that it is better at both as a package. It offers track times tenths of seconds off the M4 but the comfort, refinement, looks, reliability are far superior. Also the basic equipment level is far superior. It is a very similar weight to the C63 but build quality, quality of materials, gear box is much better. The RC-F offers the thinking person a truly exceptional car. It can go on track and compete damn well with its rivals, it is better specced as standard, it has a stonking V8 with a great box and fantastic looks. Clearly looks are subjective. Also, on top of all of this it is by far the most rare of them all and as someone who like to not follow the crowd this is a MASSIVE draw. The only thing missing for me is the exhaust note (from videos). We shall see when I hear one in person.

Any idea if the sound is artificial that is piped in to the cabin or is it coming from the engine?

If anyone is near Essex (Chelmsford) id love a proper look over one and a passenger ride?

Stu

Stu, I believe it is piped in as opposed to synthesized, if the Rcf is the same as the Gsf then it is piped into the front speakers in Sport Mode and front and rear speakers in Sport+ , it is not piped in under Normal driving mode irrespective of the ASC light being lit, you can switch it off if needed, apparently in Sport+ if you are sat in the rear of my car it is rather loud according to @Big Rat

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Piped through a speaker would be synthetic wouldn’t it as opposed to a pipe with a valve that lets sound flow to the cabin?

Exactly my question to Lexus and to a degree I understand the answer, which was "it is not an enhanced or synthesized electronic sound, it is the actual sound of the car..............

I have looked everywhere to find more information on how it is done, maybe someone with more patience than me can find it.

• Like 3

@Mark G I think your a very patient man........ after all you have the ability to tolerate me........in small doses admittedly.....I'm just a little confused as to why when we go out for  a ride together I'm banished to the back seat.......and spend the rest of the journey having my hearing assaulted by your bloody exhaust :yahoo:

Big Rat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

Stu

Hi Stuart,

Just up the road from you and happy to oblige - I am busy for the next few weekends, but will PM you to arrange a suitable time to meet up.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Mark G I think your a very patient man........ after all you have the ability to tolerate me........in small doses admittedly.....I'm just a little confused as to why when we go out for  a ride together I'm banished to the back seat.......and spend the rest of the journey having my hearing assaulted by your bloody exhaust :yahoo:

Big Rat

Well you know you can sit up front anytime, its just me that has to cope with you and the "counting cats eyes comments:whistling: we take different lines..........

I think its now my turn to have my hearing assaulted...........................I cant wait.................

• Like 3

Things I like: almost everything
Things I don't:
The indicator lights are hidden by my hands in normal (10 to 2) driving position. The noise is also inaudible, so too often I've left them on after turns shallow enough to not trigger the self-cancel. My contempt for people who leave their flashers on is high, so I feel like a right berk when it happens
When I'm listening to the radio, the display space for the song and band is so short that often I can't see who or what is playing. For example;2112 by Rush is just about OK, but In a gadda da vida by Iron Butterfly is well out of spec
When switching on, it takes several menu interactions before I get the map up. I just want the map dammit
2.5 years in and I'm still not loving the touchpad. Teenagers seem to get it quickly, but then I comfort myself by knowing they won't ever get to see all the great bands in their prime (see above)
....and that's all...I think
On a related note; I'm very pleased to see the emerging passion for the RCF from the ISF gang. It felt like there was some neutrality, or even skepticism, back in 2015 which caused me to doubt my choice. Now I feel in good company and feel like a man of impeccable taste
You can alter the indicator volume using carista.

10 to 2 isn't normal !!! ;)

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

ACS in rcf is a speaker under the drivers side dash but it in only activated in sport+

It's not so much a fake sound as a harmonic enhancement to the actual sound.

Would be nice to be able to turn it off though. Choice being key.

What does that mean? What is harmonic enhancement? If it isn’t a pipe that simply opens and closes and it is electronic via a speaker it is surely fake? 

29 minutes ago, Comedian said:

ACS in rcf is a speaker under the drivers side dash but it in only activated in sport+

It's not so much a fake sound as a harmonic enhancement to the actual sound.

Would be nice to be able to turn it off though. Choice being key.

On the Gsf I can turn the whole thing off.

if it is coming through a speaker Stu I wouldn't say it is fake, if I listen to F1 on tv it isn't fake sound that is coming through my speakers, what I cant find out is how the car gets the sound to the speakers................

What does that mean? What is harmonic enhancement? If it isn’t a pipe that simply opens and closes and it is electronic via a speaker it is surely fake? 
Fake as in trying to make a 1.4 turbo sound like a V6

The sound is V8 sound. Depends how you see it.

Here is a bit of info about ASC:

On the RC F there is a single speaker, behind the instrument cluster, it cannot be turned off and works in all modes, although in normal there is less sound. It will only operate once the engine is above 980 rpm and the vehicle is travelling over 4 mph.

It takes into account all sorts of parameters to make the sounds realistic (engine speed, load, vehicle speed, throttle angle, gear etc).

For the 2018 model there are a few changes. The ASC sound will only occur in Sport + mode, or custom mode if the Power option is selected. In addition to engine sounds, it will also enhance the intake noise on a sharp throttle opening (the vehicle does not need to be travelling for this sound to occur, unlike the engine noise).

On the GS F there are two speakers, one on the rear parcel shelf and the other is the centre dashboard speaker. The system is off in Eco and Normal drive modes. In Sport just the rear speaker is used, and Sport + uses both front and rear. There is a button to disable the system completely in both sport modes.

The system generates engine, intake (only in Sport + from the front speaker) and exhaust pulsation sounds (only in Sport + and front the rear speaker).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@ColinBarber Most informative Colin, if I only knew my car as well, only yesterday I realised that on the RCF the front led’s are combined with the indicators..... looking in my rear view mirror on the M4 with @Jon B behind me....

Ah well...... more importantly when @Comedian wakes this morning and reads your techie post he will come over all warm and moist with excitement.........:whistling:

Big Rat 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

@ColinBarber Most informative Colin, if I only knew my car as well, only yesterday I realised that on the RCF the front led’s are combined with the indicators..... looking in my rear view mirror on the M4 with @Jon B behind me....

Ah well...... more importantly when @Comedian wakes this morning and reads your techie post he will come over all warm and moist with excitement.........:whistling:

Big Rat 

Well - is this another case of mis-information from Lexus. Telling us one thing in the owners manual and yet again Colin has access to documents they contradict it. This is the owners manual statement: 

The ASC system can be operated when The driving mode select switch is in SPORT S+ mode.

Is that open to any other interpretation than I have made?

30 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

In my lowly RC300h F-Sport the ASC only operates when in Sport or Sport+ modes. In Normal or (heaven forbid) ECO modes there is total silence.

In my IS300h F Sport the ASC was on for all modes but was louder in Sport. At least it has a on/off & volume control.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links