Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise Control issue

I have noticed a fault with my cruise control. It has happened twice now. Last week I was driving on the M3 but left that motorway to join the M27 at Junction 14. It is quite a sharp bend, and so the traffic slows, bunches up and the speed drops to about 50mph. When the car in front proceeded around the bend my car sped up alarmingly fast and then when the radar picked up the car again braked quite sharply. My wife was not impressed and had a right go at me for using CC, as she hates it. I suppose in future I will have to turn it of before I reach that bend in the road. anyone else noticed this? 

My wife was not impressed and had a right go at me for using CC, as she hates it. I suppose in future I will have to turn it off before I reach that bend in the road. anyone else noticed this? 

I’m not sure wives can be switched off in the manner you suggest, but if you do find a way to do this please let me know! [emoji846][emoji106]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

yes, sharp bends can be a problem, and it can work in the reverse also ie. braking can occur if on a tight right hand two lane carrageway with a large vehicle on the inside lane when your (outside lane) is clear.

Just gotta be aware and allow for it.

Paul M.

1 hour ago, Goggy said:

I have noticed a fault with my cruise control [...] When the car in front proceeded around the bend my car sped up alarmingly fast and then when the radar picked up the car again braked quite sharply. 

I haven't got radar cruise control but surely that's not a fault and it's just working in the way it's designed to?

6 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

I haven't got radar cruise control but surely that's not a fault and it's just working in the way it's designed to?

yes, it's working as it should as it detects objects 'straight' ahead.

paul m.

image.png

1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

I’m not sure wives can be switched off in the manner you suggest, but if you do find a way to do this please let me know! emoji846.pngemoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, great answer. 

Yes, thanks for the input, all duly noted. I only use it on motorways. I will just have to make sure I switch it off when I get near that bend. 

7 hours ago, Goggy said:

Yes, thanks for the input, all duly noted. I only use it on motorways. I will just have to make sure I switch it off when I get near that bend. 

Yep it'll struggle with sharp bends as it effectively has tunnel vision. Otherwise it should be fine on normal bends. 

Next brilliant idea from myself - Radar cruise control which follows the steering wheel i.e. like adaptive headlights. 

Should really patent it now shouldn't I? Otherwise someone will nick it!

While you're at it, a radar cruise that detects vehicles in the left lane and steers the car out of the middle lane to the left when it is clear, please.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Try driving the car round bends rather than relying on something that isn't designed to do what you're expecting it to. Unbelievable. Am I the only person on here who thinks that relying on radar guided cruise control to maintain a gap going round a sharp bend and declaring it to be a fault is complete and utter nuts?

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Try driving the car round bends rather than relying on something that isn't designed to do what you're expecting it to. Unbelievable. Am I the only person on here who thinks that relying on radar guided cruise control to maintain a gap going round a sharp bend and declaring it to be a fault is complete and utter nuts?

No, we all thought that but were just too polite to say so :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 12:52 PM, paulrnx said:

That sure told me. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

silly things like this? 

I am sure a lot of people who use cruise control for the first time don't get it exactly right. So does everyone who uses cruise control turn it off when on a motorway as they approach bends? Maybe they do, but maybe there are very few bends that would cause that to happen anyway. There are some very nice people on this site who do try to help rather than criticize and try to  belittle someone. Your first comment was bad enough, the second was unnecessary and rude. I won't post here again. 

None of my comments were rude. You used a function on your car in a way that is plainly not safe and not what it is designed for and then claimed it was not working properly. Of course it's a silly thing to do. My job done comments was a bit tongue in cheek I admit but you kept it going and perhaps should have just took it on the chin. RTFM too.

• Like 1