Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension, he go BANG

toast

Hi all. I have a 2002 LS430 UL. I love him.

About a month ago as I was getting into the car I noticed that the ride height looked abnormally high — like, significantly higher than I'd ever seen it. Not quite Monster Truck level, but not far off. I drove the short distance home with no issues, but over the next couple of days the ride became very bouncy. "Better get that looked at immediately" I thought, and proceeded to ignore it and just use my other car instead for a month.

So last night I went out to run the engine for a while just to keep the Battery from going flat... after about half an hour I remember thinking "hmmm, is that the compressor I can hear? I'm sure it's been running for longer than normal if so?" and just at that point there was a very loud noise like a rifle being fired and the rear of the car immediately dropped right down.

So whatever issue there formerly was, I'm guessing that was a bag bursting or something? Joys. Anyhow, I read a bunch of threads about air suspension issues. Obviously it can be very expensive to fix and I'm leaning towards looking at converting to coil springs. Seems these have to come from America, and one of the eBay links in another thread lead me to these: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Touring-Tech-2001-2006-LS430-Air-Suspension-Air-Bag-Conversion/291818943480?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D08bd35d4852f49339a5e812d265d8e1b%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D291818943480%26itm%3D291818943480&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A9e72e664-329b-11e8-b918-74dbd18043e1|parentrq%3A6d32a8f11620abc1f8a2eec3fffc2b1e|iid%3A1

which ***LOOK*** to me the same as what other people have successfully used, but seem to be much cheaper?

The car has almost 140,000 miles on it and so while it's in generally good condition, it might be hard to justify the expense of sticking to air just because the car isn't worth that much now. (Which seems wrong, cos it's awesome.) If anyone has any comments about what might be likely to have been wrong before last night, and what that explosion-type noise was, and whether I should just buy a bicycle instead, please do voice them :) 

Hi

This is a common problem on the pre-facelift version.

The ride height sensors are prone to water damage ( they are located near the rear struts) This is what has caused the malfunction.

From what you have written it does sound like this malfunction caused the compressor to over-run and blow the struts - however at the same time I keep thinking there must be a fail safe on the car which would prevent this from happening??

It clearly needs looking and for me "air suspension" is one of the characteristics of the 430 and I would be inclined to source some second hand units and get them fitted - obviously you will need a set of ride height sensors aswell.

You will need to find a garage who know the workings of air suspension otherwise you might find yourself in a pickle. One member tried to get his ride heaight sensors replaced at an independant and could'nt get the suspension to rise resulting in him taking the car to a lexus dealer.

Hope this helps

Sorry to hear you suspension woes, I had a scare myself recently. I agree the factory LS430 air suspension is best in place if it can be achieved at a reasonable price, but sourcing quality spares and getting the resources to fit them well is never easy.

With coil-overs, just about any mechanic or good DIYer can fit them and if the after-market shocks are well built, the height can be set as preferred and the damping (click dial adjustment)  easily modified without removing the wheels.

I've saved your purchase link should I ever need to do the same to my LS as this price is excellent even if taxes are added .   

Lexus spares are selling these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-Ls430-Facelift-Air-Suspension-Shock-Absorbers-Strut-Left-Front-Nsf/202244768398

You will need to know which shock(s) has/have blown as £185 each and you need at least one new sensor plus fitting etc.

Best of luck.

If you do go down the coil over route or not - please let us know how you get on? 

Thanks for your replies.

Mark — I do agree that air is objectively preferable. The ride has been a hugely impressive part of what I love about the car. I've also got two old Jag XJ models which have a reputation for wafting nicely, but the LS is just on another level. After quickly poking around the internet earlier I had a notion that sticking with air would likely mean brand new parts from Lexus or nothing, hence investigating springs, but if other options are available that's a different matter.

Damian — ah, thanks for that link. I'll get the car to a mechanic and find out which bits are broken and take it from there; £185 certainly is easier to swallow than ~£800 a corner! Will report back once I know more.

I've been slumming it in various other cars for a month now and I'm getting fed up with having to pull the doors all the way shut myself... plus the air con vents don't even wiggle from side to side in the car I was driving today, how primitive :D 

• Like 1

Having had two LS400's and two LS430's I can't honestly say air was any better.  I do know that they should be changed in pairs and at £1600 for two, plus fitting I would certainly consider springs.  Sensors are around £350 each.  One member had springs fitted and said it took an hour per corner.

Perhaps someone can correct me but my understanding is that a single defective air strut can be replaced without changing the one on the other side.

Do we know for sure in this instance the sensor has failed, anyway they are available reconditioned in this country at a reasonable price from the breaker who sells second hand struts.

There is someone on Youtube replacing an air strut on his front driveway and he makes it look easy.

I'll get it to my mechanic next week and find out about the sensor situation. And yeah, I watched that video, it doesn't look too bad, although the back ones seem harder to access with the back seat situation. 

• 1 year later...

Guys , just be very careful with air struts as my 430 gave way on me up on jacks, good job I wasn't under it at the time , but the blood drained from me when I seen how close to the ground it went.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian Bryce said:

Guys , just be very careful with air struts as my 430 gave way on me up on jacks, good job I wasn't under it at the time , but the blood drained from me when I seen how close to the ground it went.

Thanks for that, and not something I would have considered. Did you have problems prior to that?

Re Ian's advice above - I also fell fowl of confusing my ride hide sensors when the car was jacked up.

In short, never start the LS430 when the car is up for maintenance unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Thankfully my jacks were trapped under the car on the jack points so I was able to lift the car again front and back and reset things.

@Alec - did you get the Air fixed or opt for coilovers?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links