Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Securing Lexus IS200 rubber gutter trim

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster, with a request  for help on a modest but irritating problem...

The passenger side rubber gutter trim that runs lengthwise along the exterior roof over the two doors on my  1999 Lexus IS200SE is coming loose. Is domestic super glue an ok fix for this? Or should I investigate more auto-specific adhesives like butyl rubber glue? 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Not going to pretend I'm an expert (welcome btw :biggrin:) but I'd guess the disadvantage of doing a fix with super glue is potential damage if you ever need to remove that particular bit of trim. Obviously super glue does have a permanency about it! But I'd be lying if I said I'd never used super glue on the car. If it's a small fix to maybe a much larger part then I'd probably use it. When I first got my IS there were small gaps in a couple of areas where the body kit met the panel and I used super glue then. On my last car I used super glue to hold back some rubber door trim that had obviously come away years ago. Job done. I suppose part of this is how precious you are about a nearly 20 year old car.

Hi Rich, thanks for your welcome and the thoughts. I want to keep this fantastic car running in good shape but am certainly not precious about appearances! Glue it is.... 

11 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Not going to pretend I'm an expert (welcome btw :biggrin:) but I'd guess the disadvantage of doing a fix with super glue is potential damage if you ever need to remove that particular bit of trim. Obviously super glue does have a permanency about it! But I'd be lying if I said I'd never used super glue on the car. If it's a small fix to maybe a much larger part then I'd probably use it. When I first got my IS there were small gaps in a couple of areas where the body kit met the panel and I used super glue then. On my last car I used super glue to hold back some rubber door trim that had obviously come away years ago. Job done. I suppose part of this is how precious you are about a nearly 20 year old car.

Welcome P! 

Do you mean the strip that runs the length of the roof where you'd put the feet for roof bars, or is it the seal over the top of the doors? I had problems with the former which would flap around at the tailend on the motorway. 

1 hour ago, gdh300 said:

Welcome P! 

Do you mean the strip that runs the length of the roof where you'd put the feet for roof bars, or is it the seal over the top of the doors? I had problems with the former which would flap around at the tailend on the motorway. 

This isn't my car, but there is a photo of the trim I am referring to here: https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replacement-parts/lexus-is200-roof-gutter-rubber-strip-trim-blue-black-grey-98-05-breaking-is-200-is300-is-300-post/1283625720

In this photo, it has been lifted out of its gulley/channel and is lying lengthwise a few cm  to the right over the roof the car

It was just on the verge of flapping when I checked the car a couple of days ago - can't get to it right now to photo. Sounds like your situation - about 10-15cm at rear end was just coming loose

I found it was happening mostly at higher speeds and in cross winds after a big change in temperature. There is a sort of clip at the end but I couldn't ever get it to engage, I suspect because something had actually broken off.

I tried some double-sided body fixing tape which was useless. I was going to try Gorilla glue because it looks like you couldn't be trying to stick together two worse materials, shiny painted metal and flexible rubber with a big gap in between! In the end I found I could push on it hard enough just to get 50mm or so firmly wedged in the channel about 200mm from the end. That would hold it until the next freeze. In summer the rubber/plastic is more flexible and shouldn't be a problem then.

Had this on mine I just cleaned it then used a small amount of silicone mastic on it just a few blobs then just put the trim back in place and just leave it for a couple of hours but don't use loads as it will be a bitch if you ever want to remove it 

• 5 weeks later...

The domestic super glue has worked well, and the trim has been in place all month with no loosening. Only downside is a little bit of discolouration of the paintwork on the roof where the glue leaked out, but that is not causing me to lose sleep. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links